Concorde at Heathrow

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 125 total)

• BeckyBoop
    Participant

No.

BA should just sponsor/endorse some of these places that do keep them already or may be the Science museum can do something with it. It will be cheaper and less hassle for BA.

It’s also pointless sticking it on a roundabout at LHR because that will probably eventually close if the Govt decide to build one in the Thames Estuary. Then we will be back here again arguing the point that they should move it there. Concorde has been out of action for close to 10 years and in that time BA has done absolute jack with it except moving it around the ground at LHR for where there is space. It will never fly again are there is probably nobody who could fly it again.

If ever a plane ever needed a tribute it should be a 747 it has been around longer than this old banger, more economical, more people can fly on one, can travel to more parts of the globe and is still flying today.

There are 3 scrap yards in close proximity to LHR.

epeek06
    Participant

Maybe if you had flown on the Concorde you would be having a different opinion right now.

Yes the 747 is an iconic plane and very well deserves a place in history, but the Concorde was the first super sonic passenger jet. Definitely deserves to be well respected.

I really don’t think their plane at Heathrow should be just used in the scrap yard, after so much money was invested in the development, I don’t see how sending it the scrap yard is justifiable.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Maybe…

However i would be interested to know how much the cost and development of Concorde cost the UK tax payer and if the whole course of capital was ever paid back.

I am sure there are enough geeks out there who would love there piece of concorde if they cut it and sold the parts off.

Goldcardsaplenty
    Participant

Correct! I have a second stage turbine blade that sits very nicely under my dispaly of Boarding Card, Flight Certificate and limited edition print of G-BOAF on final flight into Filton.

Ahhhhh…

Alas dear Becky you just don’t understand…..

VintageKrug
    Participant

The idea of “recycling” or selling for scrap any Concorde is abhorrent (though the French did scrap one of theirs several decades ago).

I *think* these sentiments come from those who never saw her in regular service, flew on her or indeed appreciate the massive technical achievement of building this in co-operation with another European country and based largely on 1950s and 1960s technology, its symbolism as a re-assertion of Britain’s place in the world following years of Post-War era of austerity and decline.

She is just as much a national symbol as she is a technological achievement – her appearance at Flypasts for Jubilee’s and other national celebrations sealed that accolade.

Long term, airside LHR is not the right place for Concorde and unless there was a plan to keep her airworthy its something of an indulgence to take up space there (though BA has plenty of space at LHR, it removed the BEA Trident which had languished there for many years around the time of Concorde’s retirement). Can’t recall what happened to that.

I do think they should be preserved in a museum, though it’s fair to say there are plenty of good quality well-presented models on show in the UK, France as well as three in the US (New York, Washington and Seattle) and one in Germany (Sinsheim, handy for FRA) as well as a well curated example in Barbados (not The Bahamas). Do we need another museum piece, maybe not in the UK, but to lose her to Coke cans would be a great shame.

Most of these exhibits are charities and are able to cover their costs on that basis. One shouldn’t underestimate the importance of Concorde for educational purposes; seeing things like this (and the more venerable examples of endeavour you mentioned such as the Cutty Sark) are an important part of our cultural heritage, good for tourism and essential for inspiring the next generation of engineers.

Concorde is the Cutty Sark of our generation, and we’re extraordinarily lucky to have more than one to preserve; as the Cutty Sark proved, there’s no guarantee they’ll all survive intact despite best efforts and spreading the risk across multiple sites, each of whom interprets the Concorde experience differently, is tremendously valuable.

When you understand the huge strides made with such limited resources, building Concorde to be a unique and functioning airliner into the 21st century despite massive opposition from vested US interests was a triumph for the UK and France, demonstrated the validity of the European project, and proved that however much they cheated, the Communists simply couldn’t compete with the Free World.

I like the idea of one in Sydney or Cape Town/Jo’berg where it would be a novelty, and take pride of place in any aviation/science museum, maybe even a touring exhibition if one could be made viable. Maybe even Dubai, but their record on preservation and museums isn’t as established.

But of course, now she can’t fly it’s less easy and very costly to cut off the wings (ouch!) and ship her anywhere. Though not impossible.

esselle
    Participant

Worth noting that the first Concorde built has a nice home at the Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovilton.

Stowage222
    Participant

Yes, esselle, definately worth a look. It’s also interesting to see how the a/c design developed from the original displayed at FAAM as they built later models used in commercial service.

pomerol
    Participant

BeckyBoop

Please wash your mouth out.

Stowage222
    Participant

You’re right Charles, the take off was the highlight of the flight. You were literally pressed back into your seat. The initial climb was also impressive – I’m sure we hit 10,000 ft within minutes! It was, however, very cramped inside but who cares? One of my most memorable flights.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Stowage, I never flew on it, but the take off was impressive for the lower orders waiting in the next plane in the queue. If you were in a seat with the view, the flames from the afterburners – and the roar – were wonderful to see and hear.

esselle
    Participant

Charles Q, a few recollections;
    Take off speed was about 220kts, against about 155/160kts for normal craft. You could not actually feel that difference, but you certainly felt the acceleration.
    If you sat further back than row 9, you saw nothing at all from the window except wing.
    The windows were very small compared with a normal craft, and grew very warm indeed to the touch during flight.
    In the cruise (+/- 58k feet) there was no turbulence at all.
    In the Concorde Room meeting rooms, the chairs are actual seats from the craft.
    I loved that plane!

TiredOldHack
    Participant

I understand from Little Bruvver, who lives just outside Toulouse, that Airbus have kept a Concorde semi-operational there. Apparently it does ‘fast taxi’ tests from time to time, though it’s never flown since the fleet was grounded.

The word is that it could fly if it was asked to, though whether any of the above is true I know not.

EDIT: as to why it should be preserved, many of the great ships and suchlike were preserved because they were iconic. The Queen Mary was the biggest, fastest liner in the world when it went into service. The Cutty Sark was the sailing-ship equivalent of Concorde. The Americans keep three Saturn Fives on display, and the surviving Shuttles will also be kept as museum pieces. Few would dispute that Concorde is as historically important, and as iconic, as any of these.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Though of course your source sounds credible, I wouldn’t think an organisation as financially stretched as airbus could afford to keep even a ground-based Concorde operational.

I’m sure if there had been any recent fast taxi tests these would have garnered some publicity.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Sadly, I think that’s true.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 125 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls