Compulsory vaccine for flying

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

I am convinced for a while now that the next step will be compulsory vaccine for flying. It seems I am not the only one.

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/singapore-airlines-pushes-to-be-first-fully-vaccinated-carrier.html

traveldoc
    Participant

I agree – and quite possibly not just for flying. Personally I think it’s a reasonable step, given the severity of the pandemic, as a way of restoring confidence and minimising transmission.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Eventually yes, but I can’t see it happening any time soon. At least until vaccines are freely available and there is some agreement on certification.

Airlines are under massive strain and many will not want to be turning away business.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1089335]I am convinced for a while now that the next step will be compulsory vaccine for flying. It seems I am not the only one.[/quote]

But which vaccine? Cant see the USA accepting / recognising the China or Russian vaccine….

toptraveller
    Participant

The challenge is that even with Vaccination you can still have Covid19 and therefore spread it. I believe testing is the only way airlines will manage in the short term. A negative test will ensure no virus and allow you to travel.

Other challenges on the horizon…AA announced the Verifly App which is fantastic but this is only applicable to inbound travel to the US, not outbound from the US…so are we going to need numerous apps depending on our O&D? Each country/airline could choose different apps – Commonpass / Verifly / IATA Travel Pass

In short it’s still a mess…

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1089444]In short it’s still a mess…[/quote]

And there appears to be no accountability for this mess . Politicians and the various scientists around the world have taken deflection of responsibility to lengths not seen since post war Germany .

For us to get back to travelling ( freely) with confidence a global (UN / ICAO ) agreement on policy is needed now . 10 months in and we’re in a worse mess than at the start.
    It’s time for the fifth estate to stand up to the plate and scrutinize these clowns

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

I presume that countries would only recognise the vaccine(s) that they have approved for use in their own respective countries?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1089446]For us to get back to travelling ( freely) with confidence a global (UN / ICAO ) agreement on policy is needed now .[/quote]

@Canucklad
    – tried to click the ‘thank’ button for your post but bizarrely it thanked the wrong post..

So a manual THANKS…

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Having had both my vaccinations I would fully expect to be positive for bits of viral genome that were injuected to produce the spike protein that stimulates an immune response… hence a PCR covid test would show this and not mark me as covid free. Similarly there would be an obvious problem with an antibody test (assuming that the vaccinations have actually worked) as I will hopefully be packed with antibodies against covid!

Looks as if all is, as usual, a total mess

J_Pathmore
    Participant

I agree with much of the above – vaccines will only be compulsory in a distant future when the vaccine has been made available to the general public for months on end.

However I think it’s a nice topic to discuss: should they be compulsory? Let me ask a few more specific questions:

– Do you support the EU (or any other country) mandating vaccines for foreign citizens, if they do not mandate it for their own citizens?
    – At what point can this come into effect? If the EU mandates it in the summer, that will leave only rich first world countries with options to travel to and from the EU. The vast majority of the global population won’t have had access by then
    – How does one police this? In many countries these vaccines will be administered everywhere from doctors’ offices to pharmacies to government facilities. Thousands of doctors will be willing to fake signatures for the right price…

I am on the fence here. I understand the need to dramatically reduce the effects of this disease, however once the high risk populations are vaccinated and hospitalizations and deaths decrease significantly, do we care about another 30 year old or 18 year old with COVID?

I hope that vaccines won’t be compulsory for travel. It will create a lot of friction and damage to an already bleeding industry.

And finally, to all those that bring up the yellow fever vaccine as an example (compulsory if you’re travelling from some countries) – it’s simply not comparable. Yellow fever vaccine has been around for a full 70 years… I suspect once the COVID vaccine has 70 years of history everyone will feel comfortable getting it.

Eastbourneguy
    Participant

A friend of mine has just had a letter from a package holiday company to say they have postponed their holidays, river and tours until 1st May 2021 and after then they will only accept bookings from people who have been vaccinated with both jabs at least 14 days prior to travel with them or they will not be allowed to travel

While I understand this – not everyone will have 2 jabs prior to 1st May so it means a lot of people cannot book with them

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1089475]

I think the expression for this is “Shooting yourself in the foot”.

Famina
    Participant

Britain removed the United Arab Emirates from its travel corridor list on January 11 amid a surge in coronavirus cases in the Gulf nation.Starting from 4:00 am on January 12, people returning to the UK from the UAE would have to self-isolate for 10 days, Britain’s travel department said in a statement.

“The decision has been made following a significant acceleration in the number of imported cases, along with the number of reported new cases over the past seven days, which have risen in the UAE by 52 per cent.”

https://bangladeshmonitor.com.bd/news-details/uk-removes-uae-from-travel-corridor-list-as-virus-cases-surge

Swissdiver
    Participant

So it is about timing and producers. Timing is easier: as soon as travellers will have access to jabs (well, this is what common sense command, it does not mean this is what they will all do, as we can see in some of the previous posts).

Producers’ list will be a more complicated aspect. Taking yellow fever as an exemple, there is a list of accepted vaccines (4?). I presume it was set by WHO. So, will WHO approve the Chinese and the Russian jabs? Nice discussions ahead…

Malachi1
    Participant

I disagree, and vaccines will not be the answer…otherwise at least half of the worlds airlines will collapse. Hmm, perhaps that’s the plane, to just have global alliances, and no country carriers. Hmmmmmmmm

Vaccines are not the answer. This like other viruses, will mutate (thats what viruses do) and will weaken and somewhat go away.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls