Compulsory vaccine for flying

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)

• TonyR
    Participant

@rferguson If the rest of the world adopts a unified approach to some kind of passport and the UK decides not to as it is deemed ‘discriminatory’ I have doubts that a letter from your GP will cut it.

And how many years will it take to negotiate this uniform approach? 22 years after the first biometric passport was issued a third of countries have still not adopted it. We don’t even have e-visas on our passports – you have to print them out on paper or show them on your phone. Paper is widely accepted and available today, biometric passports and especially extra data on their limited memory are not. Sorry

1 user thanked author for this post.

TonyR
    Participant

[postquote quote=1092322]

I don’t know. I got a rather attractive all inclusive quarantine offer including airport transfers from the Taj London today so something is happening.

1 user thanked author for this post.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

TonyR…. am hoping that the Taj send me a similar offer… might be worth the rest of the current travel aggro to quarantine there ??

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1092317]I am sorry but I don’t accept this. If a charge is implemented then additional staff can be engaged.[/quote]

EDIT – the above quote was from ASK1945 not rferguson

Taking on additional staff because a charge is being made – you gotta be kidding. The surgeries in north London have been charging for years and still keep you waiting 30 days for any medical report that’s needed for a third party. Needing to ask a GP for a date stamped Covid 19 confirmation each time you fly, is not going to happen…

The world may open up, but until each country ceases with their individual 2 week, 3 week, 10 day, this test that test no test requirements – multi country trips will not exist and there will be no such thing as a quick business trip or a romantic weekend away for many years to come.

It’s looking more like….

2020 – year of pandemic
    2021 – year of vaccine roll outs and arguments about whose vaccine does what
    2022 – year of how does the world agree for people to enter each country
    2023 – year of travel deals and relaxation of quarantine and testing
    2024 – the world fully reopens….

.. I hope I am wrong…..

TonyR
    Participant

@NartynSinclair. .. I hope I am wrong…..

The advantage of being a pessimist is things always turn out better than you expected 😉

5 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

My son, based in Israel, today received his official Covid vaccination certificate from the Israeli government. Obviously i cannot post a copy here, but it contains:

Full name (as per passport)
    Passport number
    Israeli ID number
    Date of birth
    Expiration (of certificate) date
    Date of certificate
    Date and details of first vaccination
    Date and details of second vaccination

Also, all these details are included in a QR code.

Simple, straightforward and acceptable across Israel.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1092778]Simple, straightforward and acceptable across Israel.[/quote]

and for what purpose???

The world needs to talk and act together, not working as individual printers, churning out useless pieces of papers that have no meaning outside the country of issue.

If vaccine passports are going to have international credibility, to help re open travel, it will need more than the Israeli’s producing a barcoded document, that most of the world will sadly not recognize.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=1092778]

Looks good, and will work domestically (single authority). The challenge will be to find a form of this acceptable internationally. And I guess this means WHO, as it is the case for the yellow fever.

3 users thanked author for this post.

TonyR
    Participant

[postquote quote=1092779]

Is it any different from PCR test certificates required by many countries and which come in all shapes and sizes?

2 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1092779]If vaccine passports are going to have international credibility, to help re open travel, it will need more than the Israeli’s producing a barcoded document, that most of the world will sadly not recognize.[/quote]

How do you know that, Martyn?

At least it’s a start.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=1092781]

It lasts longer and let your nose in peace!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1092782]How do you know that, Martyn?[/quote]

Because if the Israeli vaccine passport was recognised and accepted anywhere outside of Israel, I am pretty confident Tom and his team would report the fact.

ASK1945
    Participant

Sorry Martyn – I don’t buy your explanation/speculation/prediction. They have only just been produced and are designed for internal use. That doesn’t mean that they won’t be accepted in countries that will require proof of vaccination, in due course. And, as I wrote, it’s a start – which is more than can be said for other countries which have had a high vaccination rate.

Also, as Swissdiver wrote: “Is it any different from PCR test certificates required by many countries and which come in all shapes and sizes?”

MartynSinclair
    Participant

ASK1945 – I see the unrestricted re opening of the world, the next biggest challenge behind the vaccine roll out. I cant see one country being able to provide an overall solution for vaccine passports, without the Americans, Russians, Chinese and Europeans starting to act as ‘allies’ rather than ‘enemies’ & working TOGETHER, accepting (if they can) the credibility of each others vaccines. Otherwise, you may get the situation where countries / airlines requiring a vaccination certificate demanding a separate and additional Covid jab for those with unrecognized vaccines.

As much as I love Israel and see them being at the forefront of technology and innovation, this is a world issue. Until all parties come to the table I cant see the world freely reopening. You may get corridors between 2 countries, where a vaccine certificate or passport is recognised in a limited fashion. However, a world wide vaccine passport, enabling free and unrestricted travel, a great opportunity for the world to come together in a positive manner for once and finding a solution.

I am sure Tom and his team are on standby to report such an event for the benefit of international free and open travel 🙂

ASK1945
    Participant

Martyn – this “dispute” between us is not going anywhere. I was careful to write initially “Simple, straightforward and acceptable across Israel.”. I never mentioned international travel. In reply you wrote “If vaccine passports are going to have international credibility, to help re open travel, it will need more than the Israeli’s producing a barcoded document, that most of the world will sadly not recognize.”

I responded by highlighting that those last 8 words was speculation – you have no way of knowing this. Others have come in to mention what is happening with other documents.

Swissdiver responded to your initial comments about my post “Looks good, and will work domestically (single authority). The challenge will be to find a form of this acceptable internationally. And I guess this means WHO, as it is the case for the yellow fever” . You will see that I thanked him for this posting (ie agreed) before you responded again.

Your comments at 2207 (#1092786) are indeed probably true, in my opinion, but do not negate what I wrote.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls