Chaos at T5…now

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 151 through 159 (of 159 total)

• ekond111
    Participant

…Personally I think BA have done very well under the circumstances and horror stories other travellers encountered – my flight from Abu Dhabi was cancelled – they booked me out of Dubai for the following day and put me in a very nice hotel (of my choosing) – and then were able to put me on an earlier flight and were able to retain my first class seat – left on time – eventually disembarked at Heathrow on Monday fternoon – only 2 hours later then scheduled (which was 10 hours later then my original ETA).
    All things considered – without making a drama out it – Well Done BA!!!

SimonS1
    Participant

Of course the fact that you were travelling first class had nothing to do with the fact that you emerged unscathed. I hardly think that can be translated as BA have done well. Their unseemly rush to cancel all European flights from Heathrow whilst other operators were still operating suggests otherwise.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

One very important factor is the fact that ekond111 travelled towards the periodwhere traffic was gradually being restored to normality. If he/she had been traveling in the beginning of the disruption, there would have been no services no matter what class of travel!!!

ekond111
    Participant

Points taken SimonS and FlyingC – I was due to fly out Sun PM /Mon AM and managed to get back Mon PM – My brothers flight left Toronto on Saturday AM – he finally arrived in London on Tuesday afternoon –

Just out of interest – what happen to you guys – how were you affected by the weather conditions in the UK?

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

ekond111: I am ashame to say that I have been spared in Hawaii since the 13 of December but many of my relatives and friends were affected by this chaos back in the UK. May be God will punish me next time!

Merry Christmas

SimonS1
    Participant

Stuck in Frankfurt for 2 days. On Tuesday afternoon 10 out of 12 flights to London were cancelled and rather than hang on any longer we cut our losses and took the overnight bus back. I know BA were to some extent at the mercy of BAA in clearing the runway, however there were plenty of other airports in the London area operating normally (LGW, Stansted, Manston etc) and a more organised airline might perhaps have had a plan B. BA staff in Frankfurt were completely in the dark, with the merger with Iberia we no doubt have more of the same to look forward to.

Matinée-Allstars
    Participant

I was flying to SFO from LHR on 23 December.

The Bag Drop queue snaked out the door of Terminal 5 and there was a technical delay of 7 hours on the flight.

However I must confess to being secretly impressed by BA’s operation at T5 on the day – the first full day of flying after the snow:

– the bag drop queue – although long – was actively managed with flights being called out in priority to get people through security in time. The result being that no-one got stressed and everyone got through security

– all available staff seemed to have been drafted in, some technical staff appeared to be helping out at Bag Drop, office staff in civvies were helping manage the queues and giving out water

– all security lanes were open and we got through quickly. Again they were actively managed with lots of staff so no queues built up.

– the cheery and professional customer service agent I spoke to summed it up – ” we are doing everything possible to get every flight out today”

– the flight and cabin crew remained on duty from early AM waiting for 8 hours and then flying us to SFO on a replacement plane miraculously found from somewhere

BA seemed to have done lots of planning ahead considering where pinch-points might occur on the busiest travel day of the year and then put in lots of resource to manage them.

Just before boarding I looked out from the end windows of T5 B gates and could see 30 BA planes on the move at the same time…it was really impressive

I realise that many travellers have not been so lucky but … despite my delay, I just wanted to say…. THANK YOU to BA and their staff for the 110% effort you put into getting so many flights out last week.

SimonS1
    Participant

What a hero that Willie Walsh is. I really must contact the Independent and let them know. [You’re too late – Ed]

Binman62
    Participant

Martinee-Allstars…. how wonderful for ou to get home for Christmas. Well Done.
    How wonderful also that BA, 7 days after they lost control of their operations following 20 minutes of snowfall on the 17th December, had at last a plan in place to deal with the chaos their incompetence had originally created and which was compounded by the inept retailers at the BAA in the days that followed (18th/19th 20th 21st December).
    I was delayed 12 hours on the Friday, 5 of which were on board a one of their short haull aircraft. The following Monday I was again held on board one of their short haul aircraft for almost 5 hours before they cancelled it. The ground staff on instructions from some nameless faceless manager refused initially to provide rebooking.
    BA should receive no praise for what went on last week from any quarter. It was a shameful national embarrassment that has once again brought misery to many this festive season and all because of a complete lack of planning, operational incompetence and a refusal to accept that snow was on the way and take action in advance.
    I would also predict that with WW departure in the new year you will see a nose dive in operational performance as a once again the airline is lead by those with no operatiuonal experience whatsoever.

Viewing 9 posts - 151 through 159 (of 159 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls