Calm Under Pressure: This is Why I Fly BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)

• CXDiamond
    Participant

BigDog, that report is shocking. I know mistakes like this can happen but they never should. I hope BA are ready for the PTSD claims as a result of this negligence by one of their pilots.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Is it just me who feels CXDiamond’s statement

“I know mistakes can happen but they never should” is somewhat contradictory.

Sounds to me like the whole incident was handled with aplomb by BA and the crew. Shame about the mayday going out over the PA, but doesseem to have been dealt with before scenes of panic were seen.

BigDog.
    Participant

Handled with aplomb??????

Actually not just another embarrassing screw-up by a BA pilot but one which unnecessarily caused a great deal of alarm amongst the passengers.

londonlad
    Participant

Big Dog

Once again.

Anti Pilot and anti mixed fleet. Familiar….

Pilotwannabe I believe. Prob. too late now 🙁

BigDog.
    Participant

I find your post offensive alexpo1.

Dry your eyes LOL

Xuluman
    Participant

Don’t let perception cloud the reality.

Smoke in the cockpit is a dire situation. Potentially only 15 mins to land, as some have found out the hard way.

The procedure, at least on an airbus (don’t fly a 777), is complicated and drawn out. Communication through the masks is difficult and the adrenaline pumping on top of reducing visibility of the controls against a strict time constraint makes it a situation no pilot would wish to be faced with. Even in the sim you cannot help getting stressed.

So they accidentally, temporarily flipped the pa button whilst donning masks, frantically diverting, and isolating the source? So what….

Big picture for little dog: they operated the flight safely, and correctly handled the event without putting the pax in any extra danger than they already were…..the fact that pax heard the mayday call and PERCEIVED added danger should not detract from the reality.

What do your irrelevant friends at the even more irrelevant air league have to say on it?

BigDog.
    Participant

You are right Alexpo1 – I’ll man up and dry my eyes 😉

Xuluman, enough of the exaggeration/histrionics to which you appear prone… this is the real, unembellished, picture.

….A British Airways Boeing 777-200, registration G-VIIS performing flight BA-173 from London Heathrow,EN (UK) to New York JFK,NY (USA), was enroute at FL380 over the Atlantic about one hour into the crossing when the crew declared PAN reporting a burning smell in the cabin and requested to turn around and divert to Shannon (Ireland). The aircraft initially maintained FL380 and set course towards Shannon later descending to FL360. Already on VHF about 120nm from Shannon the crew indicated they didn’t need assistance by emergency services at Shannon, they expected a normal landing below max landing weight and expected to directly taxi to the apron. The aircraft landed safely on Shannon’s runway 24 about 90 minutes after declaring PAN….

http://avherald.com/h?article=46b85227&opt=1

Hardly the dire situation and frantic diversion you would have us believe. Why fictionalise or try so hard to impress?
    For your education a PAN is used to signify urgency not immediate danger.

Given your demonstrable lack of industry knowledge Xuluman and fascination with the Air League, this may help you understand how many BA pilots initially benefited from the Air League’s sponsorship.

http://www.airleague.co.uk/tag/ba-future-pilot/

http://www.2beapilot.co.uk/flyingscholarships.htm

and are accordingly grateful. BTW HRH The Duke of Edinburgh has been its patron for 60 years and Air Chief Marshal Sir Brian Burridge its president.

esselle
    Participant

Well said Xuluman.

Too many posters these days write as though they are doing “mine’s bigger than yours”

God forbid reality should be allowed to get in the way of fantasy………..

Bullfrog
    Participant

An emergency is not a dress rehearsal. Any passenger would have realised something was up if an aeroplane has to make a rapid descent.
    Well done the crew for acting quickly & without injury.

openfly
    Participant

Great comment by Xuluman and Bullfrog.

Xuluman
    Participant

Yes I was one of those who got sponsored by the air league, and I am grateful. But continuing to post their link in an attempt to somehow qualify your incorrect statements is puzzling.

And I was obviously going on the article posted in regards to a mayday call, and the replies based on that article. The journalist said mayday, but they are indeed often wrong.

Now I wasn’t in the fd that day, I don’t know the indications they actually got, but if you get smoke in the cockpit as was reported in the article, with potentially just 15 mins to live….it would be rather reckless to assume, at least initially, that it’s not an emergency and waste some of that time. Not that you know anything about it – For most people this would stop them forming let alone sharing an opinion.

Maybe the air league can help? What’s the link to their website again?

BigDog.
    Participant

Stop digging Xuluman,

My 2 initial posts on this nonsense thread were merely to add balance.

The pilots on the carriers I use including BA, Virgin, Singapore, Cathay, easyjet are all highly capable experts. There is no evidence that BA pilots are exceptional, therefore when BA promoters cack handedly attempt to imply otherwise by initiating threads such as this, it is fair and reasonable to cite recent examples to the contrary.

In this case the BA pilot screwed-up by broadcasting the PAN across the PA, it was embarrassing and caused unnecessary alarm – FACT.

Either accept my posts here as a factual response to the thread’s initial distorted theme or counter with evidence BA pilots are more noteworthy/less fallible than their compatriots, regardless, try to avoid the histrionics and puerile jibes.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Xuluman – 18/11/2013 20:12 GMT : The procedure, at least on an airbus (don’t fly a 777), is complicated and drawn out.

Why do you say “don’t fly a 777”?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls