Calm Under Pressure: This is Why I Fly BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)

• Biztraveller74
    Participant

Testing Etihad long haul business for the first time, will let you know my experience. I am on board AUH to BKK (thailand vacation) after LHR to AUH in economy(for leisure, I still fly economy).
    So far, a bit disappointed

esselle
    Participant

Bucksnet is the new VK. Discuss.

Both claim superior knowledge whilst not being able to demonstrate any fact based evidence.

I know this is starting to get really childish, but I do so love watching people make complete ninnies of themselves.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Oh dear, what stupid comments we have today.

HT, I’m not saying I know better than you, but I can look at a photo or seat plan and count. And when I get to try EK I can’t imagine I will change my mind.

ATOG, it’s clear from the photo that every seat has got its own screen.

esselle, the fact based evidence are seat plans and photos. If I had flown in the cabin in question and said it was 8 across and other posters had not, how would I explain or prove my experience to them? If I took a photo it will look just like the photo on the link I’ve posted.

esselle
    Participant

Bucksnet

Imagine you are writing a review of the Soufflee Suissese at Le Gavroche. You comment on the texture, flavour, presentation etc. And at the end say that you actually have never been to Le Gavroche, so have not actually tried Soufflee Suissese. But you have seen a picture of it.

Credibility goes to, and stays, at Zero.

Why do you keep being so silly?

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Bucksnet – 09/06/2013 18:41 GMT

Oh dear, what stupid comments we have today.

Indeed you have been making ridiculous claims, but you have managed to get attention that you crave.

ATOG, it’s clear from the photo that every seat has got its own screen.

You should’ve gone to Specsavers.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ja676MG45Zg/TQFjzXiV9qI/AAAAAAAAEvg/KDy5MGDtHcI/s1600/emirates-a380-business-class.jpg

8 screens eh? As the seating is 8 across, there must be 8 screens right? Definitely NOT 4 screens.

You might want to investigate this further, make sure you read up on it first though.

http://www.drugs.com/ritalin.html

Rgds.
    AOTG.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Could be that Bucksnet hasn’t been able to get over the ordeal of the wrong engines on that model at the BA Heritage Centre when the posters visited a few years back! Just hoping the seat configuration inside was ok.

Wasn’t the title of this thread an album by Rush? Or have I been on the methylphenidate (which is definitely not recommended to be mixed with my handle!).

VintageKrug
    Participant

Excellent exposition of the BA38 incident, and the superb actions of the captain which saved the day:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/terror-in-the-skies

Bucksnet
    Participant

Strange that someone should remember the day at the BA Heritage Centre, where I noticed that the BA 767 model had the wrong engines. I’ve got an eye for detail, and the engines were clearly not RR RB211s.

No one questioned my analysis or made sarcastic comments or other personal attacks as I recall.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Long memory! (not always an attribute, I’ll accept!). You were also denied the privilege of the BA staff bus having taken your car.

Good days in forum land though, as was the open day the following year at the engineering centre. Oh no, that’s probably unleashed another load of topic diversions!!

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

AllOverTheGaff – 09/06/2013 19:04 GMT

+1

IanFromHKG
    Participant

BritFlier – 09/06/2013 09:41 GMT : How would you rate a herringbone like VS or CX? A straight line would probably intersect 6 seats, but I’m sure most would view it as a 3

Won’t speak for VS as I haven’t flown them for years, but I fly CX regularly. There is an element of overlap in that the footwell is next to the shoulders of the person in front. The configuration, though, makes it very difficult to describe it as anything other than 1-2-1.

I have previously posted (I don’t recall in which thread) that it looks to me as though EK is 8 across, but they have taken advantage of the staggered layout to say it is a staggered 1-2-1, and that BA could have made the same claim by giving different row numbers to the forward-facing and rearward-facing seats respectively in each of the existing rows. At the end of the day, though, it seems to me that the crucial issues in terms of the number of seats across each row and the configuration are these:
    1. The width of the seat
    2. The amount of personal space in and around your seat
    3. Aisle access

On each of these criteria, IMHO, CX wins hands down. Second would be EK (which I have never flown, I confess, I am basing this on the pictures I have seen) because of the large cocktail table/storage space, and the direct aisle access. BA (which I have flown) comes a distant third due to the fact that not all have direct aisle access and the personal space (tiny cocktail tables and a drawer which you can’t access unless your seat is in the “chair” configuration) is woeful. It may be that the shoulder space is slightly better due to the yin-yang configuration, but frankly I still find it fairly cramped. And don’t get me started on that wretched divider…

EDITED TO ADD:

I realise BritFlier was talking of a 3-across CX configuration. I think that only ever appeared on the A330 when it had the old (so-called coffin) seats. I was talking about the new CX seat, which is to be found only in 1-2-1 configurations on the B777 and, as of recently, the A330 as well (it seems from the CX site that all the long-haul A330s have been retrofitted). So far as I can tell, the old seats now feature only on the B747s and A340s (which are due to be retired)

Also, going back to the title of the thread – I would be a little less sanguine than the OP about the calmness under stress of the maintenance crew who recently forgot to lock down a couple of engine cowls…

EDITED FURTHER to add the reference to A340s above. D’OH!! How could I have forgotten about them?!

Bucksnet
    Participant

Good post Ian. At least others can see the EK layout for what it is, and the new CX is far superior.

It’s amazing how fast CX have rolled out their new business seat, as well as their new premium economy and economy as well. BA take years to update a single cabin.

With regard to the unlocked engine covers, I don’t think that particular problem will happen again as the maintenance staff are probably under orders to triple check them now.

craigwatson
    Participant

I would’nt count on it Bucksnet, it still happens with airlines all over the world, it is not a rare occurence, just that this time the outcome was just extrodinary indeed. It is a well known problem.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Those interested in learning more about this incident should pick up Peter Burkhill’s excellent book, “Thirty Seconds to Impact”:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thirty-Seconds-Impact-Captains-Flight/dp/1449088589

BigDog.
    Participant

Though some may like us to believe otherwise, we are all fallible….still some chose not to fly BA ever again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2508606/British-Airways-passengers-heard-pilot-make-Mayday-Atlantic-36-000ft.html

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls