BT Awards 2015 (now 2016)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

Graham, thanks for clearing that up. With a couple of exceptions the results do not surprise me and likely represent my views.

Some people will be surprised that BA did so well, I am not surprised, for two reasons. I imagine most people that took the survey are UK based and thus would use BA more than most airlines. Secondly, BA does a damn good job at what it does.

I think too many people on here pan BA for not being a 5 star airline, but in the past 15 years at least it has never tried to be or claimed to be. It is in fact a well run, competitive airline that gives value to its pax and shareholders…..not many airlines can claim that (KLM maybe). Certainly BA is not perfect, and occasionally makes some howlers….but I prefer that to the own goals of other European flag carriers. I fly BA a lot, choose it as my first option in most cases, I like Avios, I sort of like t5, I like the solid product and predictability, I like the staff (mostly), and I like the fact that it’s passengers and crew are proud to “fly the flag”.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

“The results are indeed the product of a survey of Business Traveller readers taken during the April – June period of this year. Print subscribers and digital readers (of the UK edition – and not all are UK-based) are invited to participate and the results are put together by a market research company.”

As someone who

– has flown over 1,000 sectors in the past 10 years
    – has already flown 114,000 miles this year
    – uses a broad combo of new and legacy airlines, on short, medium and long haul flights

I can only say the results (wrt to airlines/airports) do not reflect my experiences nor of most of the people I talk to ‘on the road.’

Anyone who thinks that DXB is the 3rd best airport in the world is using judgment criteria I don’t recognise.

MrMichael
    Participant

FDOS_UK, I have not used Dubai since British Caledonian used to stop there on the way to Dubai, so my view on that would be rather outdated. I would however value your views on specifics such as BA doing rather well. I fly BA in the region of 40 sectors a year, pretty much all in econ or CE on European sectors to from LHR.

esselle
    Participant

I agree there are some odd ratings here, but they can only be based on the comments of those who reply.

Personally, the stand out surprise here is that BA first gets into the top 4, but EY first does not. I defy anybody who has experienced both to say that BA was better.

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

I recently booked a trip using Avios to try out F on QR and CX, plus a flight in F with SQ which I paid for myself. Judging by the results, looks like I chose well!

rferguson
    Participant

In fairness re: BA I think it’s where they did NOT gain a place which speaks volumes – Best Business Class. BA seriously SERIOUSLY needs to get its finger out and launch a new J class seat.

I would imagine a good proportion of voters would be UK based? In such a case it would be logical that BA and LHR would place in most categories and win the odd award. It would be no different if a Scandinavian based travel website or newpaper did a survey there. SAS would place somewhere in the majority of results. Same with Qantas if the survey was based in Australia.

Andrew66
    Participant

What I find most strange is that Changi has won best airport 28 years on the trot !! Haven’t the owners of other airports around the world gone there to see exactly what it is they are doing and improving their airport to try to beat them ?? We might as well have a Changi Airport award for best other airport in the world !

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I wonder whether BT would be prepared to email the Forum members a similar questionnaire to complete to obtain a raw poll result from us lot on the basis there would be no real expense to the publication (i.e. we would accept the results without the need for independent adjudicators)..

May provide interesting data from a bunch or regular travellers…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

MrMichael – 13/10/2015 17:56 BST

I think the poll result reflects a UK centric bias in sampling and , no way are any of the airlines named in the same league for front cabin comfort as short haul airlines in other areas, e.g. compare a AA first class flight (with 2×2 big seats) v BA or LH short haul flight (with 3×3 and the middle seat blocked). In the Gulf, the difference is even greater.

Adding to the confusion is that there is no separation between economy and business cabin in the short haul poll, making like for like comparison difficult – e.g. I have always thought that BA ET is a decent product, whilst I rate the new CE as poor, due to reduced seat pitch and width – when you look at the number of different categories for the hotels, the airline categories look rather arbitary.

Also, I agree with esselle that the omission of EY in the first class category is inexplicable.

rferguson – 13/10/2015 22:01 BST

I agree with your comments about the population and the resulting bias (bias in sample, not the respondents opinions), however BT do not label this survey the BT UK awards, nor is it restricted to solely UK respondents, so I find these awards invalid as a representation of a global audience and agree with Martyn Sinclair’s opinion that it would be interesting to poll regular posters on the forum.

AleRomUY
    Participant

Dear Martyn, I completely agree with you. BT should send the questionnaire to all of us in the Forum and for sure the results would be different.
    From my personal experience plus the experience of all you guys, I am sure that for example:
    * Etihad should be positioned much higher and for sure, above EK
    * Hamad Airport is a great airport (you may agree or not) but it is much better than DXB
    * I’m Platinum on QR and always and only fly Business Class on them, and it is the best for sure
    * I mentioned on a comment directly after the list of awards: there is a huge missing here which is Garuda Indonesia. Have you ever flown their Business and First Class???
    * And let me tell you that the Business Class on the 77W by AA, is definitely much better than the cramped Bus Class on same plane on EK. 1-2-1 on AA vs 2-3-2 on EK!! C’mon!!!!

frustratedflyer
    Participant

I would certainly agree that Hamad is better than Dubai but maybe not enough people have experienced Hamad yet to rank better. Changi though thoroughly deserves to win. My record is 17 minutes from arriving at the gate, through immigration and collecting a bag to being in a cab.

As to EY first class not appearing is it really such a surprise when I think it has been the same product now for about 6 or 7 years?!

I also agree about the AA 77W product but would not want to be on another AA plane!

As for BA I never expect to be wowed but they are pretty consistent a bit like M&S socks!!

stevescoots
    Participant

Agree with Martyn, a no cost comparative survey could be emailed out to all forum members to see what we think, or it can be done as one of those online surveys. probably one of us could do it, not me however as I am an IT imbicle

canucklad
    Participant

Cheers for the clarification Graham
    I’d agree that the results are probably skewed by quantity of voting patterns as opposed to the actual quality of what is being measured. Sprinkle in a bit of patriotism and local bias will inevitably rise to the top. In some instances here, I’d question whether or not it was the cream….. : )

Best Airline
    Qatar Airways…Is this the same airline that crams people into their 787 “Y” class ?

Best Short-Haul Carrier
    British Airways. Is this the same carrier that had everyone up in arms on here about their new CE product ?
    Lufthansa should be horrified that a LCC beat them into bronze

Best Economy Class
    British Airways ……They must have seriously raised their game, and their food, and their IFE, and their…………. !!

Best North American Airline
    Air Canada……Where’s Westjet ?

Best Low-Cost Airline
    Jet2.com ….. Getting beaten by EZ, maybe it’s because theiy’re from “HUP Norff”
    Ryanair …the airline most everyone on here loves to hate

Best Business Hotel in the UK
    My companies travel policy, wouldn’t allow me to stay in any of the winners, so can’t comment !!

AIRPORTS

I’d like to be more specific in the categories…..
    Best airport for arriving in…….HKG & YVR
    Best airport for departing……YVR

And as for the final category
    Best UK Domestic Train Service
    Virgin Trains… … : ) ….: ) …… : ) & Virgin Trains East Coast……… … : ) ….: ) …… : ) ….
    I’m doubled up with laughter, my sides are aching!!!

Plus I wonder, if BT polled , the worst of this and that, what the results would be……

rferguson
    Participant

Canucklad I guess it depends what people judge as important in each category. I guess Qatar gets top marks for offering a pretty great product at very very competitive fares including the premium cabins. I guess few have yet had the great pleasure of nine abreast 787 seating in Y with them – or ten abreast on the 777’s they are reconfiguring.

BA shorthaul would rate highly as many would consider the range of destinations/frequency of flights as highly important in this category. I guess those that pay for the ahem ‘Club europe’ product are in a minority. BA economy – well yeah that is a bit of an odd one. Same could be said for BA First placing. But again I guess it’s slightly skewed by the number of brits voting plus it does offer some perks I guess – nine abreast seating on the 777’s for example which seems to be becoming the exception these days. Obviously the likes of SQ etc offer a much better Y product – but I guess just not as many people voting fly SQ Y to swing the award to their favour. EK/EY etc probably have better food and IFE but may suffer because of high density seating and disjointed service in the Y cabin.

esselle
    Participant

I am not sure that having an F product that is 6 or 7 years old is an issue at all. I flew EY F last week MEL-AUH, first time for a couple of years, and it was flawless. There was nothing I would have changed, except perhaps having to use the ANZ lounge which is a bit grubby.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls