Britain’s Borders in Chaos

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

• Anonymous

GrahamSmith

Morning. A word of warning – the first instance this thread dissolves into racism it will be deleted. Please play nice.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Well racism is a noun defined as “the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races”. As long as we don’t mention that, please let’s have a good discussion about the appalling state of our borders that most of us have to pass through regularly.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/racism

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Spoke to a lovely lady from border control last Sunday about the lines and inquired why on earth IRIS was being decommissioned. She threw here hands in the air as if to say W T F knows why…!! More IRIS entry points should be put in rather then decommissioned!

Why cant the UK and US cooperate more and work together with Global Entry. Whilst I am not in favour of the USA marching through and controlling the world on their terms – I am in favour of sharing info, when partner countries would benefit… FROM EACH OTHER!!

pdwtrip
    Participant

Have a Privium Iris card for frequent trips to Schipol. Has never failed in 4 years us, no queue no problems.
    Considered Iris for return to LHR a few years ago – but having watched the large % of people refused and put to the back of the main queue could not see the point.
    All in All LHR disappointing in this respect.

BTW the Privium also has a tie up in the USA with the FLUX program. I have never bothered to investigate but you may find it a useful way to lose the long queues in the states:

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/AtSchiphol/Privium/Privium/FLUX.htm

JeffD
    Participant

I am so impressed with the comments made by GrahamSmith, I am really tired of seeing great threads dissolve in personal attacks. It isgreat see someone who obviously values this forum and is trying to protect the integrity of it.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Racial and religious profiling is the only way to go.

I mean, without being racist, we all know who the terrorist are and which faith they believe in.

MarcusUK
    Participant

I fail to understand, how we can even consider that we have any Border “Control”, if we do not have the same on exiting the country, as we do on entering!

Every other Country I have travelled through (over 70), checks you out. We should take the Australian System for Immigration as a great model. If you overstay there, you will get a grilling & warning when you exit, perhaps pay a penalty and even be limited for any entering the country in the future.
    If the reports in the article are correct with people leaving the UK after committing crimes, how can we track their movements and patterns of how, and where, and when they exit? We cannot therefore put the resources at these places.

A proper Control cannot even be claimed without this being put back in place. Perhaps there is also something to say, where you see a very disciplined Military or police style service, operating borders as staff. It presents much more professionally and with authority.

This is why we have no idea where people are, left or not, having entered the UK. No statistics can be formulated that are reliable on this basis. It is a real mess in the UK, compared to other countries around Europe and The World.
    All of us, should be responsible when we travel to another country, but also held to account for our behaviour. If the Government in the UK cannot even put the basics in place to send this message out, then it seems they are avoiding their accountability for failures also.

And yes, the IRIS system had its faults, but it was another quick and secure method for frequent travellers especially, and I see no reason why it should be abolished.

sparkyflier
    Participant

And I remember you said millionsofmiles that all terrorism is caused by muslims, and when I bought it to your attentions that this was not the case, using the awful attack in Oslo Norway as an example, you chose not to respond to that point and reverted to bleeting.

GrahamSmith well done with your post. This is a business travel orientated forum, not a forum for discussing different ideologies and which ones some posters think have hateful or murderous agendas and intentions.

stevescoots
    Participant

I too have never been able to understand a system that checks people coming in (most of the time) but does not check them going out!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

There are fines for overstays in Thailand too.

I guess it is against European law, but I would also like to see passengers in transit having to clear customs as they need to do in the USA.

Why do UKBA not review passports and note people leaving? That part is surely not subject to European law as we seem to be out on a limb where leaving the country is concerned..

Bucksnet
    Participant

It’s all deliberate. Our border controls, or lack thereof, are part of the plan.

There’s no need to process passengers in transit, and it would reduce the attractiveness of transit here.

If the government counted people in and out, it would have to admit to over 2 million illegals in the country, why it’s allowed this to happen, and why it’s doing hardly anything to resolve the issue.

SimonS1
    Participant

Like others I have never really understood the way the checks work. If this was Africa we were talking about people would be pointing fingers and laughing.

Instead of all this nonsense about a £3,000 (or whatever) bond, why not just charge a sensible amount for a visa, and use the money to introduce proper checks and man the thing properly.

I went into Qatar yesterday, paid the equivalent of £20 on arrival, photographed and my passport recorded/stamped in and out. It can’t be that hard surely.

Bucksnet
    Participant

It’s not. Makes you wonder what the plan is then doesn’t it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls