Batten Down the Hatches: Avios is Coming!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

No, I’m not confirming anything of the sort, JordanD.

Well done on the scoop, Tom; worth staying up for!

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news

All looks quite benign for BAEC members, a reduction in the points cost of redemptions to NYC and a standardisation of the European fees. Most change will be for AirMiles members.

I would be interested to know:

– if the change fee will be waived for Gold Card holders

– if there was any news on the “Bronze” tier which was much mooted

– if BA are confirming a formalised Lifetime Gold/Silver programme

– whether these changes mean an increase in mileage/points to the West Coast USA

– though you’ve mentioned standard class redemptions will stay broadly the same and in some cases reduce, there’s specifically no mention of premium cabin redemptions and how these might be affected by the changes

StephenLondon
    Participant

So this is the news from Airmiles, a company formerly owned by BA and one that is in part partnership with them now. Did we not, at one point, get 50 Airmiles along with a BT subscription, which could then be converted to BA Miles?

I’d still be keen to hear from the Exec Club and see what their take on this is. I’d guess there will be additional changes that we have yet to learn about. i’d further guess this scoop might just be ahead of itself since so little else has appeared online. So well done Tom and Co., but is there more?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

At the moment, the answer is no, it seems.

I asked about new tier levels – Bronze or Ruby for instance, and the reply was, “We are not announcing that today”, which of course might just be a turn of phrase.

The Gold Card waiver of change fees, premium cabin redemptions, Life Time Gold as per the AA programme…. also no news, and I got the impression that although the Mileage Company run the programmes for the airlines, decisions such as that are taken by the airlines rather than the Mileage Company, though I may be wrong.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

And from

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/executive-club-changes/execclub/_gf/en_gb?link=main_nav

“We have outlined some of the changes below and we’ll be in touch before November to announce even more….

Our vision is to make the Executive Club feel more like a Club than just another frequent flyer programme. A Club that’s designed to truly benefit its members.”

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

From the FAQ

Why are BA Miles changing?
    We are renaming BA Miles to Avios, as it is will become the currency for all loyalty and reward programmes owned by British Airways’ parent company, International Airlines Group (IAG).

The value of your existing BA Miles will remain the same. The change is in the name and the increased ways in which you can spend Avios points compared to BA Miles.

Is the Executive Club becoming the Avios Club?
    No. The Executive Club is still the Executive Club and the loyalty programme of British Airways.

Avios is the new name for Airmiles in the UK, which is rebranding in November. The programmes will remain separate, in the same way as the Executive Club and Airmiles are today.

Are the loyalty and reward programmes owned by IAG (Executive Club, Iberia Plus and Airmiles UK) merging to become part of the same programme?
    No. The Executive Club, Iberia Plus and Airmiles UK (which will be changing to the Avios reward programme) will remain as separate programmes.

But Avios points will be the shared currency across each reward and loyalty programmes owned by British Airways’ parent company, International Airlines Group.

What does Avios mean?
    Avios is the new name for BA Miles. The name reflects the valuable, global and distinctive nature of the currency that will offer members a more rewarding experience in the Executive Club. It is simple to pronounce and evokes travel and flight in many languages.

Is the value of my BA Miles going to change?
    No. The value will not change. One BA Mile will equal one Avios point in November 2011.

Do I need to register to change to Avios?
    No. Your BA Miles will automatically change into Avios in November 2011.

Can I opt out of the Avios scheme?
    As an Executive Club member, Avios points will be the currency you earn from November. This does not mean you are a member of the Avios programme or scheme (Avios is also the new name for Airmiles). As such you cannot opt out (unless you are a member of Airmiles of course).

You can however, if you wish, opt to close down your Executive Club account at any time. But by doing so you will no longer be rewarded with Avios and recognised with Tier Points every time you fly with British Airways and our oneworld® partners.

Are we are now part of the Airmiles scheme as they are now called Avios?
    No. The Executive Club is a separate programme, but the currency with which we reward Executive Club members will change from BA Miles to Avios points in November.

Avios will be a common currency that is used to reward members in the Executive Club, the Iberia Plus and the Airmiles programme.

I have an existing booking. Will this change of currency affect my booking?
    No. The change from BA Miles to Avios points will not affect any existing bookings.

What routes will Reward Flight Saver be applicable too?
    Reward Flight Saver will be available on flights across Europe with British Airways and Iberia, and on shorthaul flights in South Africa operated by Comair.

Reward Flight Saver flights are only available to members who have earned or spent 1 Avios point (or BA Mile) in the previous 12 months.

Which routes will require less Avios points than BA Miles currently for a Reward Flight?
    Some of the key routes that will require less Avios points (BA Miles) are:
    Milan, Prague, Helsinki, Cairo, Amman, Jeddah, Boston, New York, Bermuda, Toronto, Washington, Chicago, Shanghai, Rio, Bangkok, Narita, Hong-Kong and Singapore.

Which routes will require more Avios points than BA Miles currently for a Reward Flight?
    Some of the key routes that will require more Avios points (BA miles) are:
    Tel Aviv, Pristina, Catania, Larnaca and Mauritius.

Can I cancel my existing reward flight and rebook using Reward Flight Saver?
    Yes. You can cancel an existing reward flight and book a Reward Flight Saver. But you will only be able to book Reward Flight Saver tickets when they go live in November. And once a reward flight is cancelled, there is no guarantee there will be space available on the same flight.

What new partners can I collect Avios points with?
    At the time of launch in November there will be no additional partners that you can earn Avios points with. The partners you can currently earn BA Miles through will remain the same – the only difference is that you’ll be collecting Avios going forward.

We will be introducing new partners and ways to earn in the New Year.

Will I be sent a new card called Avios?
    We will be adding the Avios logo to the back of Executive Club cards from November. You will only be sent a new card if you have reached the end of your membership year and need to be issued with a new card in the normal way.

What is the Airmiles programme?
    Airmiles UK is a frequent ‘buyer’ programme based in the UK that rewards members with Airmiles for everyday purchases with its UK partners. In November it will be rebranded and become the Avios programme and it will then reward its members with Avios and not Airmiles.

How long are the Avios points valid?
    Avios points will expire in the same way BA Miles do today. They will only expire when your Executive Club account becomes inactive. Your account will only become inactive if you do not earn or spend one Avios point (BA Mile) in a 36 month period.

Collecting and spending Avios

Are there changes to the number of Avios I earn today?
    No. The number of Avios you earn through flights and partners will remain the same as the BA Miles you earn today.

What are the new ways I can collect Avios points?
    At the time of launch in November there will be no additional partners that you can earn Avios points with. The partners you can currently earn BA Miles through will remain the same – you will just earn Avios points. We will be introducing new partners and ways to earn in the New Year.

What are the new ways I can use Avios points?
    When we rename BA Miles to Avios points in November you will be able to spend them on hotel accommodation and car rental when you book from certain countries.

Eligible countries
    You will also be able to use them on Reward Flight Saver tickets.

Examples of Reward Flight Saver
    Can I continue to earn with existing non-air partners (e.g American Express, Marriott)?
    Yes. The partners you can collect with are not changing – only the name of the currency you collect.

What hotels will I be able to use my Avios on?
    We will announce which hotel partners you will be able to spend Avios points with when the currency is launched in November.

How much will it cost to redeem Avios for a hotel or for car hire?
    We will announce the details and rates of hotel and car rental partners who you can spend Avios points with when the currency is launched in November.

Will I still get other benefits such as American Express Companion vouchers?
    Yes. All other benefits, such as the Amex Companion voucher, will remain the same.

Will I still get all my Gold benefits such as Gold Upgrade for Two?
    All tier related benefits, such as Gold Upgrade for Two, will remain the same and are not changing.

Will the changes affect my current tier status?
    No. Your Executive Club status will not be affected by the change to Avios points.

Will I be able to collect Avios on High Life Shop purchases as I do with BA Miles?
    Yes. You will earn 2 Avios points for every £1 spent on in-flight purchases.

Will I be able to spend Avios on High Life Shop products?
    No. Just like BA Miles, Avios points are not accepted as payment for in-flight purchases.

RichHI1
    Participant

Just a clarification. A lot of posters are talking about lifetime Gold status as AA.

AA in all communication to date offer Lifetime status up to Platinum level which is comparable to Silver in the one world scale. They do not offer Executive Platinum which is comparable to Gold. I was told in Aoril by AA “we still feel that this should be earned each year.”

Travellator
    Participant

Useful reduction LHR/HKG down from 160000 to 120000 in CW – however will there be less availability ?

flyingformiles
    Participant

From a first look and reading the FAQs so far I’m quite pleased.

I like the simpler redemption process for Europe and they certainly make Euro redemptions better value for money, particularly on longer routes.

Also pleased to see a difference between East and West coasts of America although I expected to see the West go up instead of the East come down – not complaining though.

Nice to see HKG, NRT, etc reduce although that was a bit of a surprise to be honest and surprised they dropped below South America.

Pleased to see MFU is still possible albeit I’ve not done it for a bit, it does offer good value for miles.

Don’t mind the £25 charge for changing redemptions – I agree it prevents people holding multiple bookings and using up redemptions. I don’t think Golds should be exempt as they are the ones who are likely to have most miles and most bookings. Exempt GGL at best.

continentalclub
    Participant

The changes thus-far announced regarding earnings and redemptions within BAEC and AirMiles schemes do indeed seem broadly welcome.

The removal of the regional supplement with AirMiles is good news, as is the standardisation of 2x Avios for Club World redemptions for members of the scheme-soon-to-be-formerly-known-as-AirMiles. It additionally looks as though SSTBFKAAM will, for the first time, allow open-jaw redemptions, one-way redemptions and also changes – for a £25 fee.

Current SSTBFKAAM balances will be multiplied by ten to become Avios balances; which will make domestic redemptions more expensive than they currently are. At the moment 750 AirMiles gets a return ticket with zero TFCs. That would be 7500 Avios post-change.

Such a redemption will actually require 9000 Avios plus £27.

It will be interesting to see whether the SSTBFKAAM will maintain its historic separate redemption inventory, or whether Avios inventory will all be from a common-pot. Pertinently, it’s currently sometimes possible to nab AirMiles seats on flights for which BA Miles availability does not exist.

Interesting times but, so far, so generally positive, I think.

RichHI1
    Participant

Interesting name, the marketeers have been doing their research. Avio being esperanto for a plane and also a Finnish word for marriage, with an accent on the o it is Catalan for a plane and in Spanish it means he she or it hurried. I guess they stuck an s on the end to make it legally protectable.

RichardBarr
    Participant

Not a good change for me. As TLV is my home base, I’ll have to use more airmiles/Avios than I do now. Bummer

KeaneJohn
    Participant

All seems broadly positive. will wait for finer details. Would seem silly thast you cant spend these Avios that you have accrued with BA on Eurostar and theme park tickets as I am sure that would be quite welcome.

I haven’t collected Air Miles per se for about 10 years. I do remember getting them on BA and partner flights 10/15 years ago but can’t remember when/how I switched to BAEC

Swissdiver
    Participant

Right, for BA EC members it seems to be a limited change for mileage redemption. My related concern is how much they will charge in the future for round-the-world business class tickets…

Sunshine
    Participant

Some good new and a lot of speculation. Annoyingly I have booked a points flight in early November on one of the routes that now has had its mileage reduced. I wonder if I’ll get the mileage difference back?

Also, the one thing not addressed, which happens to be my greatest bug bear with BA, is if the availability of points-flights will be increased? I’ve found using mileage to fly to places like Australia impossible to use due to lack of allocated seats.

One last thing, if they do remove lounge access for silver holders (I know its only a tenuous rumour), I for one will not maintain loyal to the One World group – I don’t do enough flights (well, not enough premium cabin flights) to get to gold and the primary reason for sticking with BA is lounge access

Danwolf
    Participant

Good news from a personal perspective on LHR – HKG and JFK (more HKG). BA were increasing their frequency from 14 to 17 on HKG route, so should hopefully have more redemption opportunities.

Only skimming a lot (have to do ‘real work’ whilst also reading all the small print)), however has anybody seen any crystal clear statement about if you have both and Airmile Account and a BAEC if they will merge ‘automatically.’

Trying to work out whether I need to go on a Short Haul Airmiles booking spree pre cut-off or not…Anybody who has time to read more than I have, let me know…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls