Batten Down the Hatches: Avios is Coming!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)

• continentalclub
    Participant

An interesting question, Danwolf: if the currency is to become common across the three programmes, will it be possible to transfer balances between accounts held by the same member in two or more programmes, either for retention or at point of redemption?

Indeed, will it be possible to maintain more than one account (which is the point that I think you’re alluding to) simultaneously or, as Marriott do with Marriott Rewards and Ritz-Carlton Rewards, will individual members be obliged to back only one horse?

We can only wait and see!

Although it’s also only speculation, I see and hear no evidence or even signals that BAEC Silver might have lounge access removed from its suite of benefits. Indeed, it would require a significant realignment of oneworld standards, which seems unlikely (though of course anything is possible).

d1rector
    Participant

Oh, dear. Avios. Obvious Spanish connotations but bland and meaningless, notwithstanding inevitable newness. All the strong brand value and profile of “BA” and “Executive Club” flushed away in a stroke. Bad decision. Up there with other famous corporate re-branding mistakes of the past, in my opinion. And making the whole thing a little more complicated in addition does not help.

VintageKrug
    Participant

While the jury is out on the trademark “avios” I think it does satisfy the need to move away from “miles” as a currency – miles are old hat and the alternative, “BA kilometers” doesn’t bear thinking about.

The Executive Club brand will remain, so no flushing there.

And I don’t think it complicates things either; certainly makes it easier for those who hold Air Miles.

Of course this is all about reducing administration costs; one scheme, one currency, one administrative centre. The savings made there can be passed to customers in the form of the reduced “cash” cost of European redemptions.

Let’s hope they don’t relocate in Spain….

I have had confirmation that all the cancellation fees will be waived for Gold Card holders, which is good news.

Eastbourneguy
    Participant

Does anyone know if the useless Air Miles can be added to my BA Account – which would make sense!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Yes you’ll get 10 Avios in exchange for every Air Mile you hold from November onwards. As is stated in the text above…..

Better if you plan on making long haul premium cabin redemptions in future, less good (though better than might have been the case) if you typically redeemed in shorthaul economy.

Binman62
    Participant

Have just gotten my email from BA advising me of all the changes I have requested them to make…..if only!

The changes for the executive club appear neutral and it is useful that the short haul routes will have their fees capped.

As a holder of air miles I am not so happy and the introduction of fees is a massive devaluation. As others have posted will need ro study small print as it may be worth spending the remaining miles before novemeber if the are any seats.

Nothing as yet from air miles especially around earning avoid points. For a long time it has been a pretty poor offering generally with one mile for £20 expenditure on a credit card. Even at 10 miles for £20 it is poor value.

The ability to combine air miles and BA miles into a single holding is very welcome but can anyone recall the exchange rate that was used when air miles and BA miles were separated? That will tell you a lot about the value of the air miles.

FCTraveller
    Participant

VK, it does say that 1 Air Mile will be worth 10 Avios points but I can’t see any text indicating specifically that Avios points will be transferable from the former Air Miles program to the Executive Club. Did I miss something?

Binman62, the original Air Miles conversion rate when BA Miles were created was 14. But this was a limited time offer.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Yes.

Air Miles will cease to exist in November; there’s no option to keep them in that format.

All Air Miles will be transferred automatically to Avios.

Travellator
    Participant

Sad really,myself included that we are surfing/posting on this site at 6.25am BST ?

FCTraveller
    Participant

Air Miles will not really cease to exist, it is merely changing names to Avios and its currency is changing to Avios Points at a rate of 1:10.

“The Executive Club, Iberia Plus and Airmiles UK (which will be changing to the Avios reward programme) will remain as separate programmes.”

I still can’t see any specific reference to the ability to transfer points from Avios to EC. If they remain as separate programs, that would seem to indication that transfers will not be permitted as is the case at the moment. I may be wrong, but I’d be grateful if you could point me to the relevant text.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s not 0625am where I am!

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

There’s been extensive debate about the changes on flyertalk:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1254357-announcement-new-revitalised-executive-club-coming.html

It has been confirmed on that thread by the BA Rep that a tool is being developed to transfer avios points between the three different programmes (and if I’ve understood correctly, in real time and at no cost).

FCTraveller
    Participant

Thank you “couldntthinkofaname”. It’s nice to see an informative and constructive reply from time to time.

Binman62
    Participant

I wrote to airmiles to ask about transfering my airmiles to BA miles when the scheme takes off. Like many holders of airmiles I find the changes are not good for me but are for my BA miles. The response from Airmiles was as folllows:

Your Avios account and your BA Miles account will remain separate, but you will be able to transfer your Avios between accounts to make a booking. We will communicate how to do this nearer the time.

Many of the destinations we offer have decreased in the amount of Avios required. Taxes, fees and charges do need to be paid, but we have capped this at £27 for zones 1-3 for regular collectors. We have also introduced a wide range of other benefits such as flexible tickets, one way and non UK originating flights, and the ability to upgrade using your Avios.

However you cut this the change is a bad deal for airmiles holders. A domestic flight will rise from 750 and no fees to 900 airmiles plus £27.

Personally very happy with the impact on BA Miles at least until I see the rest of the changes later this year.

In meantime wil try to use airmiles now for any doestic flights through to the end fo the year.

VintageKrug
    Participant

That’s a good strategy; Air Miles for shorthaul without taxes/fees is a good deal (though of course those flights are not that costly anyway) and the introduction of Avios will assist those who prefer to redeem in longhaul premium cabins, and allow you to avoid APD by booking exEUR.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls