Baggage Carousel Waiting – Best and Worst

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

I have a new candidate for the worst: any airport BA flies to short-haul: http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/BA-loses-bags-AGAIN-4-out-of-5-short-haul-sectors.

malbarda
    Participant

Best: Shanghai and LBA – both equally fast! Worst: JFK T4 and any Spanish Airport.

TominScotland
    Participant

This does not show EDI in a very good light……….

Not sure of the date but shows how bad handling of luggage issues can go viral…….

Red Hot Chilli Pipers

We are very disappointed with the baggage handlers at Edinburgh Airport for our EasyJet flight to Milan this weekend. Nick’s prized USA Fender Telecaster arrived in Milan airport completely destroyed.

After a lot of questions, passing the blame, and the people in charge refusing to speak to us, we finally found out that this had actually happened on the runway in Edinburgh! One of the airport vehicles had run over the guitar and then the staff had decided to load it on the plane anyway, with no warning or explanation to us!

We then arrived in Milan, hours before our headline show with a destroyed guitar.

The incredible support team at CELTICA Valle d’Aosta – PAGINA UFFICIALE managed to take us to a music store to buy a new guitar – at our own expense – so that the show could go on.

So a warning from us, be careful if you are flying Easy Jet from Edinburgh – your prized possessions might not make it to their destination in one piece.

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Tom

I wonder if they will write a song about it ? When will companies and employees learn that we live in a world were one mistake can turn you and your company into a social media pariah !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Charles-P
    Participant

Best – Antwerp, watch the luggage loaded onto a trolly next to you as you leave the aircraft. Watch the handler put it onto a belt just outside the building through the window, pick it up as it comes through and then walk the 1o yards to the free car park – Magic

Worst – Madrid, the great lottery, will it arrive, will it arrive in the next hour, will it still look like a suitcase, will it still contain what I packed ?

MarcusUK
    Participant

LHR continues to be a confused mess in several of the Terminals ie with any Airline.
    T4 and the baggage Handlers there for KLM /AF etc, used to be served by KLM handlers. Since this appears to have stopped, delays and Never any priority bags are delivered first. This is just lazy and the staff just clearly cannot be bothered.

Each week, we wait for our KLm flight baggage priority tagged, and it is never first just all mixed up.
    However, we have seen many times it being loaded whilst sitting at the gate in AMS, and the priority bags are loaded last and in one group.

they are certainly never delivered or unloaded in this way at LHR.
    So, as for transfers also, LHR has one of the worst records for baggage transfers or delays.
    LHR in my view is one of the worlds worst with any Airline, in any terminal. (having used them all over ,many years).
    I would never make a transfer at LHR as it is an absolute gamble if your bags will follow you.

LCY is a very small airport so clearly bags arrive quicker, but perhaps we are meaning which large world airport is the most efficient?

I would say that Ams / Schiphol is the best in Europe, telling you exactly what time to the minute, it will be due and priority bags are always delivered first.
    Singapore, also as efficient as every aspect there.

It really depends on the size of the Airport, and the staff and contractors at each Airport. Much also can depend on the time of your flight arrival if at peak times.

smith101
    Participant

That survey doesn’t tell anyone anything. You may have spent an hour at passport control at Manchester and then only had to wait 16 minutes at baggage reclaim after that or you could have been through passport control at Gatwick in 10 minutes and then had to wait 33 minutes at baggage reclaim – in which case the overall experience would be quicker at Gatwick. Who comes up with this rubbish?

TominScotland
    Participant

Seems that Gatwick had a bad baggage day yesterday……

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28508587

openfly
    Participant

Hi Tom….I’m very surprised that made the news. Every day at Lgw is bad!!

Especially BA North Terminal where Swissport, the BA handling agent, seems incapable of delivering bags within 45 minutes of brakes on. The lengthy queues at immigration don’t matter…the bags will take ages to arrive.

Looks like Gatwicks haydays are over…..Heathrow must be rubbing its hands with glee!!

SimonS1
    Participant

Swissport are terminally useless. I’m surprised anyone uses them. It was reported on a Twitter that due to industrial action they only had 4 staff at a Gatwick yesterday.

Must say though I have been through LGW about 15 times in the last year and never waited more than 5 mins at immigration.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

…not again..

Flying into Gatwick on Monday.. wonder if I will get away with 2 pieces of hand luggage instead of checking the bags in…

Presume the blame as usual will fall to “software issues”..

One more day of sunshine in Nice….. wish I could stay for longer…. Malta tomorrow and then home..

LuganoPirate
    Participant

When the new French owners took over, they changed the logo and eliminated the Swiss flag. I’m maybe being a bit nationalistic here but I always found it strangely comforting to pull into some far flung airport on board a foreign carrier to see the Swiss flag on a Swissport ground handling unit. I’m not saying that has anything to do with the mess at LGW, still…….

BTMEEditor
    Participant

Haven’t been to Changi for a while now but it always sticks in the mind for its efficiency.

Ian_from_HKG – I’d say decade-on-decade, Mumbai has improved beyond all recognition. Straight forward arrival last time.

Last couple of trips to LHR the bags came in a respectable time, I realise I’ve just tempted fate for next month…

Some of the best are the provincial airports where your first perceptions – is that a carousel or part of a Meccano toy set – are soon banished once your bags come out quickly and you’re on your way.

Worst airport is any where the carousel is too narrow/slow/overloaded, where staff have to traipse up, in full view of passengers, and physically drag the obstructing bag while trying to maintain their balance and dignity!

JonathanM8
    Participant

LGW North (BA) used to be really good, but recent experience of Swissport’s inability to do their job means I rate it the worst of all UK airports…..will try and avoid LGW with baggage if at all possible.

LHR T1 has never been good, but (after the first month, which we all know about) I have always found LHR T5 pretty good. Bags out often before I get there (even without queues at immigration). Also T5 seems to have worked out how to do priority tagged bags

DerekVH
    Participant

T5 domestic is as bad as it was in T1. Last Sunday returning from GLA there were approximately only 20 passengers with bags in the hold and it took 40 minutes before they arrived. The joke was the aircraft was parked directly outside the domestic baggage reclaim. Now I realise that there was probably a lot of transfer bags going elsewhere but when it takes BA that length of time to get the bags to the belt is it any wonder most people try and squeeze everything on board?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls