British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 319 total)

• CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

alainboy56, if the bean counters at BA have their way it will happen

alainboy56
    Participant

So lets hope that BA is still run by ‘Managers’ and NOT ‘Bean Counters’ although NOT the so-called ‘Managers’ who have ‘screwed-up’ the T4 Immigration arrivals – E-machines still NOT open, but this is another topic

mkcol74
    Participant

@alainboy56 ….and another organisation’s responsibility, not BA’s.

DerekVH
    Participant

Yet more irrelevant BA bashing – BA do not have any services in LHR T4! This is the responsibility of the Airport Authorities and HM Government and nothing to do with BA.

alainboy56
    Participant

I do know the difference – I was just assimilating the abilities of ‘managers’ of both organisations.

MrMichael
    Participant

alainboy56, I would say the abilities of BA/IAG managers are there for all to see. Content shareholders with a growing & profitable business. I think it would be great if IAG were able to operate LHR or any other airport, but clearly, and rightly so it would fall foul of the regulators.

Back on topic. BA do not have to look just at Vueling to assess BOB, Iberia have had it for years, as has Aer Lingus.

One would hope the quality of the coffee (on BA) would improve somewhat to that now served, a tie up with Costa perhaps, another great British brand.

alainboy56
    Participant

I am a shareholder and am happy as you say its ‘growing and profitable business’, but I still say there is no need to let the bean-counters near removing a warm wrap and a coffee/glass of wine. THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE between the L.C.C. models FR and EZY’s of Europe.
    Please keep the difference otherwise, people may not choose to travel by BA in Europe? That’s a question for the bean counters. Do they want to damage the business to save, what? GBP500 per flight?

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

alainboy56, in my entire career before starting out with my own business I worked with just one bean counter who was open and keen to learn both the revenue side of the equation and recognize the damage that over zealous bean counters could do to a business. It is more often the penny pinching that takes employees, customers and vendors beyond “The Tipping Point”. The apt phrase “knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing” springs to mind.

Exskychef
    Participant

With Alex Cruz, ex Vueling boss taking over from Keith Williams as Chairman, did nobody see this coming?

ba747fan1
    Participant

Exskychef – these are all currently runours which have been on flyertalk for anumber of years.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

ExSkyChef, as the saying goes “Past performance is no indicator of future performance”. Time will tell so let’s wait and see

JohnHarper
    Participant

CathayLoyalist2 – 10/05/2016 13:47 BST Well said!

We have never had either a bean counter or an IT professional on the board.

In my view these people are there to do as those delivering a product tell them and nothing more and for the last 30 years or so we’ve succeeded in year on year growth even in the worst times.

Bean counters have told me at times what we should do to generate more profit – stop the team flying in F&C is one thing, reduce the standards of their hotels and so on. I won’t have it. My team work hard and they deserve to be looked after and as long as we are making enough money for everyone then that’s how we will continue.

As for BOB at BA, well it fits with the rest of the IAG group so I would expect it to happen.

chriswiles
    Participant

I was thinking about this the other day, after taking an Easyjet flight out to Naples and a BA economy flight back.

BOB offered better service than BA economy, for me. With Easyjet, I was able to take water on board myself, buy a decent bottle of champagne and choose some food.

With BA economy, we had to wait a while for them to get to us, only came around once with drinks and quickly dropped off an awful sandwich which was difficult to eat.

When you’re used to the BA Club Europe service, then move back to economy, Easyjet BOB can be a better service!

rferguson
    Participant

I shall be much happier when ITSU reopens @ LHR T5. Then tbh I couldn’t care less if I get a sandwich or not as I wouldn’t eat it anyway.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. All i’ve heard from my reliable (senior) source is that it is coming, likely to commence the beginning of summer ’17. And that ‘we want something better onboard than easyjet’ But what guise it will take, who know.s?

Will we see Gordon Ramsay ‘Plane Food’ type meals for sale?
    Will it just be booze and food for sale with hot drinks and soft drinks remaining free or will everything have a ££?
    Will they ‘do a BMI’ and continue to offer free drinks/food to exec club members of a certain tier’?

I guess we will find out in the coming months.

PhilipHart
    Participant

@rferguson

You have just reminded me of BA’s rather good LCC – Go.

They had an arrangement with (now similarly extinct) LapTopDining.com, where you could order your food in advance, and it would be delivered to your seat.

They had a pretty comprehensive menu, so you could always get something you liked, rather than a naff wrap!

So if something similar could be done with Ramsay’s Plane Food, that would be perfectly acceptable.

Though i’d still like the free booze 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 319 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls