British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 319 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

Not sure BOB needs more crew to be honest. IB have had BOB in econ for years and I have not noticed extra crew to manage. I guess less people buy and thus less people to serve, and if they don’t get to everyone, big deal…..you were not “due” anything anyway. I figure it is likely true to bring it in to line with the rest of IAG. I am also figuring BOB would only be downwind of the curtain.

Hermes1964
    Participant

But on IB if you sit at the back you can be over Santander before the trolley reaches you as they take a long time to get moving!

Hermes1964
    Participant

But on IB if you sit at the back you can be over Santander before the trolley reaches you as they take a long time to get moving!

DiamondDad68
    Participant

BA Connect from BHX was BOB. It was very short lived before BA finally left BHX altogether.

rferguson
    Participant

There will 100% be no more crew employed overall for BOB. The cost of that would wipe out any savings – especially on legacy fleet short haul.

openfly
    Participant

LHR-AMS last week, the crew only managed half the Y cabin with the service. What happens when they have to collect money as well?!

SimonS1
    Participant

I’ve never really understood why airlines bother with catering on a 40 minute flight.

On my last Easyjet flight I would say about 1 in 5 people bought something so I’d be surprised if ‘service’ took any longer than it does now.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Will this latest enhancement be applied to short haul C too? It would go well with the economy class seating.

YellowBelly
    Participant

I noticed yesterday at Heathrow T5 that the Fortnum & Mason shop are selling plated food in their own branded cool bag to take on board. A little pricy at £15 but probably good quality and you get to keep the bag.
    If BA do introduce BOB seems there will be many options from Heathrow.

Edski777
    Participant

And BA will most probably keep their ticket price the same. The difference between BA and Easyjet or Ryanair is quickly disappearing, except for the fact that the latter are most likely less expensive.
    Where will this all end?

Am I the only one really disappointed as a passenger by this next move?

rferguson
    Participant

I can understand the rationale of BOB on flights up to say 1.5hr in duration. It will be interesting to see if it will apply to the longer european services (ATH/LCA etc).

SimonS1
    Participant

@Edski – the cost of the economy ‘meal’ on s/h routes is what, a couple of quid? Maybe £3 if you include the drink.

Can’t say I’d lose much sleep over it.

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

Sounds like a good opportunity for Boots and the other shops at the airport to sell flight meal deals/packs.

RegSpotter
    Participant

Are we really surprised? . With Aer Lingus and Iberia already only offering BOB in European economy how long could BA resist the temptation. For those with no lounge access the fly to serve experience is down to one drink and a bag of nuts or a quarter of a wrap on a high percentage of flights . With the introduction of the hand baggage only fare we’ve seen the free checked bag disappear by stealth. Did that stop us flying BA on principle – probably not , will BOB , again no , because we either eat in the lounge or can survive without the wrap.

mkcol74
    Participant

If (when) they introduce BOB I can only hope they are sensible by making card payment the only option, in the same way Norwegian does.
    That will certainly help to reduce time faffing around getting the right change.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 319 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls