British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 319 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

A G&T on Easyjet costs £5.60 and £6 on Ryanair so maybe that’s a rough guide.

I’m sure quite quickly they will get some experience around volumes (very quickly if they recruit someone from another airline) so will only carry what is needed.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

more evidence that oleary will rip you off …….. 40p extra for a G&T (does he charge extra for ice and a slice)

mkcol74
    Participant

I think £6 for a G&T (it’s a double measure remember) isn’t too bad compared to High St prices.
    Wonder which gin they each serve?

RichardBarr
    Participant

Just a reminder, that IAG (W. Walsh & Co.) also owns Vueling, which is most certainty a no frills BOB airline. They already have the stats and projections on BOB from that “Sister” airline.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

RichardBarr – 04/05/2016 13:22 BST

Are the Vueling demographics the same as the BA demographics?

That’s the first question I would ask, were I advising them.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

FDOS_UK – 04/05/2016 17:39 BST

Do you think BA will be interested in demographics if they move to BOB, won’t it just be a case of this is what there is and the crew will not be incentivised to sell it but rather penalised if they don’t?

As the BA CEO is from Vueling I think more of these enhancements are on the way.

I’ll stick with my decision to use easyJet for domestic and fly from EDI via somewhere other than LHR to get anywhere else.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

WillieWelsh – 04/05/2016 18:59 BST

I don’t know, I was just asking whether the demographics from Vueling’s operation would be applicable to BA’s as a forecast.

ba747fan1
    Participant

Although it may happen, are people not getting carried away as noything has been announced. The rumours were on flyer talk months / years ago and nothing happened.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

using Vueling figures as a baseline estimate of what to load and adjust based upon assumptions on the differences in demo profile (adding perhaps historic food usage patterns (if the data has been collected) or run a pax survey (sure this would work thru the fantastically functional website that many contributor known and adore)

not a rocket science problem to solve

FDOS_UK
    Participant

ba747fan1 – 05/05/2016 07:58 BST

I know where you are coming from, but RFerguson is usually highly credible.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

AisleSeatTraveller – 05/05/2016 08:10 BST

Very easy numbers to calculate, but the quality of the assumptions is critical and that is what I would be focusing on, if BA was my client.

It would be very easy to produce a monumental mess from such an exercise and damage the brand.

Edted to add: A key set of assumptions would be considering Vueling’s route network vs BA’s and the implications of that.

ba747fan1
    Participant

What would be left to differentiate short haul from other LCC. Heathrow is not that convenient unless connecting long haul (obviously depending where live)? Surely I might as well consider the Easyjet card with priority boarding and fast track etc……and then it is a slippery slope as then I might as well experience other airlines long haul and / or build up status with them (ie. Delta for America).The one enhancement is ability to change flights on the same day but I have not tried this in practice and wonder how easy it is to do online and I dont think easyjet do this unless flexible fare but I may be wrong. Starting to thing Virgin trains is the best option for UK travel!

ba747fan1
    Participant

What would be left to differentiate short haul from other LCC. Heathrow is not that convenient unless connecting long haul (obviously depending where live)? Surely I might as well consider the Easyjet card with priority boarding and fast track etc……and then it is a slippery slope as then I might as well experience other airlines long haul and / or build up status with them (ie. Delta for America).The one enhancement is ability to change flights on the same day but I have not tried this in practice and wonder how easy it is to do online and I dont think easyjet do this unless flexible fare but I may be wrong. Starting to thing Virgin trains is the best option for UK travel!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

easyJet let you change, for free, on a return sector, not the outbound.

For UK travel, I tend to agree about Virgin trains, I can be in Euston less than 2 hours 45 mins after leaving home – takes much longer to go to MAN, fly to LHR and take the train into central London.

The only time I use BA for domestic, is if I’m transiting LHR, then it makes sense – but I prefer to fly direct from MAN or LPL.

My recent flights to/from DXB with BA, whilst okay, did not do enough to persuade me to change from EK in the future.

alainboy56
    Participant

You will not be the only one disappointed. I am extremely disturbed that BA wishes to join the LCC ‘model’ of charging for food. Please Please BA, don’t join this very low service idea! I am already fed up that other one world airlines like Finnair charge you for everything including a newspaper and I am proud that BA still gives a glass of wine and a sandwich. So I beg you BA don’t reduce our options. There is ‘Animal Class’ i e FR, you have ‘Animal Class with a smile’ (EZY), and there is still BA – courteous, treat you as though they want you and give a glass of wine and a smile – PLEASE PLEASE don’t change this!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 319 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls