British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 319 total)

• AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Bearing in mind the utter awfulness of the Y “food offering” for some time now, something had to give – after seeing piles of half-eaten and unopened wraps returned on flight after flight. Having,when surveyed and when contacting BAEC, said that they should either serve real food or just not bother, BA is, apparently, electing to pursue another course. But, as most intra-European Y travel now appears to be predicated on the LCC model, this is hardly any revelation.

Somehow, I cannot envisage this being extended to the J cabin because it would mean that just about the last distinguishing feature from cattle-class had disappeared.

theworldtraveller
    Participant

I agree, the BA shorthaul food is disgusting and does not look healthy most of the time. Time to get rid of it.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

We already have trolley dollies selling overpriced tat and really don’t need another lot selling inedible food and a cheap drink (probably for £ 10 not SimonS1’s very optimistic £ 3).
    Interestingly the only people who need the food will be the cattle class as those up front (in their look alike economy seating) will hopefully have indulged in the lounges knowing what will be offered.
    On short haul the legacy carriers should stop pretending to be different when they are not!

PhilipHart
    Participant

We already have HBO, and it looks like BOB will soon be making an appearance.

So what other TLAs do fellow BTers see in our future? 😉

(FYI @YellowBelly, you can also get a takeaway Picnic from Ramsay’s Plane Food for £14)

passionateflyer
    Participant

4 years back and I would be disappointed by this move, but now I actually welcome this as I believe it will improve the experience of flying BA in Y. I’m BA Gold and I like the wide selection of food and drinks on offer on easyJet (I disagree with PeterCoultas about the ‘tat’ comment, as the offering is good quality and isn’t extortionately priced but is obviously more expensive than on the ground).

In the interests of expedient service however, I would hope for a move to a cashless offering i.e. payment by card only as in the US.

They won’t introduce it in J as it doesn’t make sense commercially to do so.

As others have said there is currently so much wastage of food which you do not get to the same degree on low cost airlines.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

PhilipHart – 03/05/2016 10:47 BST
    So what other TLAs do fellow BTers see in our future? 😉

I’m super excited for my BA scratch-card. Maybe £1.00 per card with a chance to win 100,000,000,000,000 Avios points that I can never use.

Everyone’s a winner BAby.
    (Free Hot Chocolate for all)
    Rgds.
    AOTG.

Alexthegreat
    Participant

@mkcol74

instead they will be faffing around for their passports – a BA requirement when paying by CC

JordanD
    Participant

@Alexthegreat – 03/05/2016 12:02 BST – It’s actually a requirement for your benefit: of the biggest remaining sources of card fraud is onboard duty free. The machines obviously can’t contact the issuer immediately, so operate in “offline mode” – therefore a recently stolen card could be used, and it not flagged until the machine is back at base … at which point the person who has bought the card is long gone and the airline/issuer/merchant have no way of identifying who used the card.

Hence the use of passports for ID.

esselle
    Participant

Interesting. Have not been asked for ID when paying by card on any other carrier.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Can I still buy a mood blanket??

openfly
    Participant

Paying for the Buy on Board by cc will probably mean that the crew might get to the third row on an hours flight.
    The picture….can I pay by cc? Yes sir. Order placed. Handed over. Ahhh. Could you hold this please while I get my cc out. Table up, go to locker, find credit card. Sit down. Sir, may I see your passport, please? Table up, back into the locker to retrieve passport. Hand it over and sit down. Are you a member of the Exec Club Sir? Yes. Can you give me your card please and you will get Avios. Ok. Table up. Get up to locker again to find exec club card. Hand it over. Sit down…retrieve hot drink, which is now cold. That took 10 minutes!! What fun….

mkcol74
    Participant

So how do Norwegian (& the others who apparently don’t check a passport/ID when buying on board) get around the card fraud issue?
    It’s so long since I did buy anything on board with a card I can’t think what any of the other carriers do.

rferguson
    Participant

BA’s ‘inflight retail’ is contracted out to a third party company called Tourvest.

There is obviously no ability to use equipment to connect to a banks systems whilst in the air. So fraudulent use of cards on board was widespread particularly on certain routes. Certain rules were put in place by Tourvest – floor limits (without the ability to ‘pool’ cards), passport required to complete a transaction (though exactly what they would do in any pursual of someone returning to Timbuktu and using a foreign fraudulent card I have no idea), and no cards issued by Nigerian banks.

They’d definitely have to drop the passport verification with BOB.

JohnHarper
    Participant

mkcol74 – 03/05/2016 13:57 BST

I think Norwegian have wi-fi on all their planes. It’s certainly easy to get hold of a card machine that verifies on line that the trasaction is OK so they probably do that.

I can just see a world where BA don’t specify payment methods for BoB and people start writing cheques!

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

the food on most airline’s short haul offerings are rubbish and not worth paying for (singapore airlines is particularly foul, shame they think it’s edible)

I’d may for booze (in fact I have paid for one or two Tigers on Tiger Air from Bangers to Singers regularly)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 319 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls