British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 319 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

mkcol74 – 16/06/2016 16:10 BST

The law says 1 cc per every 50 seats available.

Take an A319 as an example:

EasyJet – 156 seats = 4 crew

BA – 143/144 seats = 3 crew

Then BA has a business class section (lets assume 4 rows, for this purpose), so 1 person is dedicated to that, leaving 2 crew to service the rest, whilst on easyJet, 2 will work from the exits back and two from the front back.

On BA, lets assume that 4 rows are allocated to business class, leaving 119 for 2 crew to service = 59.5 pax per crew member.

That means on easyJet, 4 crew will service 156 seats = 39 pax per crew member.

The only way to reduce the pax per cc would be for the CSM to rush through the service in Club and then join the other 2 crew, which would (in theory) reduce the load to 39.5 pax per crew (when available), but on the other hand s/he would have to work a trolley alone, whilst the easy crew hunt in pairs, with one taking the orders and the other processing the payments.

So, on the face of it, it looks far from ideal.

MrMichael
    Participant

Just looks like BA trying to profiteer again to me…..disgraceful…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

MrMichael – 16/06/2016 18:04 BST

Are you replying to my post?

If so, that is really out of order, as I was just trying to explain the potential problem to another poster.

MrMichael
    Participant

Not particularly FDOS no. Certainly did not intend to upset you or anyone else. Just makes me laugh frankly the amount of BA bashing on this forum that in some cases borders on the incredulous. Please take my post as frustrated resignation, no more, no less.

mkcol74
    Participant

@FDOS_UK I managed it perfectly fine when working on the 149 seat/3 crew 737s. The only time it was a bit of a push was on a Friday evening LTN-AMS when you spent more time strapped in than released.

RegSpotter
    Participant

I’m not sure the whole story is out yet. Removing economy hot meals on a handful of services makes no sense unless BA gain something beyond a few pennies per passenger. No need for ovens in the rear galley is the big upside. Weight , maintenance and space. As aircraft are not dedicated to routes across 120 aircraft thIs is worth doing. Product enhancement or just a cynical cost saving.

RegSpotter
    Participant

I’m not sure the whole story is out yet. Removing economy hot meals on a handful of services makes no sense unless BA gain something beyond a few pennies per passenger. No need for ovens in the rear galley is the big upside. Weight , maintenance and space. As aircraft are not dedicated to routes across 120 aircraft thIs is worth doing. Product enhancement or just a cynical cost saving.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

mkcol74 – 16/06/2016 20:28 BST

Fair enough, but did you have a business class cabin that needed a full service and oculd be quite demanding for top ups,etc? (and understandably, as it’s sold as a premium product.)

WillieWelsh
    Participant

FDOS_UK – 16/06/2016 21:46 BST

I would bet that when this comes about the service in business class will be ‘enhanced’ (again) to make BoB work and provide the income BA so need to keep the bean counters in bonuses.

JohnHarper
    Participant

I wonder how long it will be until hot food disappears from short haul C. There can be no sense in keeping the ovens to heat so few meals when there is no other hot food served.

Think of the savings!

MrMichael
    Participant

Good plan John, I’ll pass it on.

Exskychef
    Participant

Presumably need to keep at least 1 oven for the Crew meals!
    Hardworking crew cant do 4 sectors on a sandwich, even if it is Waitrose!

mkcol74
    Participant

There’ll still be the oven in the FWD galley for the Club hot meals.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

You may have seen this thread on FT

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1785375-bob-snack-trial-long-haul.html

We contacted BA – they say that it’s an extension of the existing offers to buy, for instance, confectionery on board.

https://www.highlifeshop.com/categories/confectionery

The trial is only on long haul, and is completely separate from any decision regarding short haul catering.

rferguson
    Participant

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I’m not against the idea at all but I think trialling it just after reducing the second service on the shorter long haul flights to virtually nothing and removing the (previously complimentary) snack boxes on the longer flights will be seen as pure profiteering.

IMHO it would go down better if:
    – there was still an alternative complimentary snack even if it was just pretzels or biscuits.
    – BA doesn’t push sales on board and make annoying announcements etc.

I know Virgin have been offering the same item for sale on board their flights for some time. I’m not sure if they offer complimentary snacks in addition though.

https://retailtherapyshopping.com/tuckshop

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 319 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls