British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 319 total)

• icenspice
    Participant

I agree with your initial post FDOS apart from the ‘no cash’ part, and also with you Tom re Finnair. Soft drinks are also free on American.

On some BA ? aircraft types I can recall using a water dispenser with tiny paper cups just outside the toilets which I have no problem with.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

icenspice – 24/03/2016 11:23 GMT

In my experience, ‘no cash’ speeds up the process significantly, that’s the only reason for mentioning that.

icenspice
    Participant

Yes FDOS, I am also just thinking which is the quickest process for CC? TBH I don’t see much difference.

NTarrant
    Participant

I remember when BA Connect had a paid for service, the quality of the products were quite good, but the “have you got the right money” was a pain in the arse.

The snack products they have on domestic is quite good, but I wouldn’t pay for that separately. I would prefer for the status quo to remain, or as already mentioned free snacks to golds and silver card holders.

I was quite impressed with the small sandwich offered on two Air France flights I took last year in economy, fairly simple and if there are some left over they can be reused.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

icenspice – 24/03/2016 11:31 GMT

Per NTarrant, ‘have you got the right change’!

-lack of change, crew having to ask colleagues to help
    -people wanting to pay in different currencies (easy with CC, harder with cash)

Having seen card only in action, it just works a lot more smoothly in practice.

icenspice
    Participant

‘Keep the change’

That would be one solution LOL

esselle
    Participant

I think the water loaded to make drinks is potable, but no clue about the water in the loos.

I am sure the airlines would love to operate cashless, as it is costly to deal with, but I suppose many pax may not have a credit cards.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Norwegian has been card only, when I’ve flown with them.

The obvious question is what happens if you don’t have a card?

There have been complaints in the past.

Re water from the toilet, some are okay with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbXTFRxm8Ro

PeterCoultas
    Participant

card only is sensible – why carry pockets full of change and a variety of currencies – its a lesson many UK parking places could use – my Swedish parking was very happy with payment by my Nationwide or Norwich cards

MrMichael
    Participant

PeterCoultas, most Local Authorities in the UK should now offer other ways to pay than coins/cash. I have been instrumental in persuading LA’s to allow a choice of cash/pay by phone/ chip & pin/wave & pay. If you find an LA not offering alternatives challenge them, and let me know. Car Park operators should hold the view that the more options you give the customer, the longer they are likely to stay, and the longer they stay the more money they get.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Googling just now about water on board, it seems if the drink you bring on board is frozen, security will allow it through. Amazing if true.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/christmas/travel/you-can-bring-a-bottle-of-water-onto-a-plane-if-its-frozen-a6689106.html

rferguson
    Participant

I’ve added a question mark to the forum title as I have no link to offer and have not seen the details in black and white.

However…I would quite happily put a decent wager on it being introduced in the not too distant future.

There had been some murmurs on various internal and external forums that it was one of a number of ‘options under consideration’.

However I’ve been told by a senior figure that the green light has been given for Buy On Board for shorthaul ex LHR and LGW.

Watch this space!

openfly
    Participant

An interesting prospect and will be a bold decision by BA. They have minimum cabin crew on short-haul, on the basis of free snacks and drinks. To start Buy-on-Board would mean an extra crew member on each flight to absorb the extra work in collecting the money, plus all the extra expense that would incur, especially on night stopping flights.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

openfly – 02/05/2016 15:54 BST

I can nearly guarantee that they will not increase the crewing levels, in the same way that they are in denial about how many roll-aboards an A320 will take 🙂

As usual, the crew will get it in the neck, for the management’s decisions.

SimonS1
    Participant

The question is…will there be anything worth buying. If it’s standard airline fare then cashing up shouldn’t take long.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 319 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?’ is closed to new replies.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls