British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 319 total)

• superchris
    Participant

CathayLoyalist2 – I think this particular race to the bottom has just been won. Where is the pride in what they are doing?

At least they spared us the line ‘based on customer feedback’.

To fly to serve.

openfly
    Participant

So what happens with the Club Europe catering on these longer flights? Does the return hot food sit in the galleys gently festering for hours before it is served? I suppose, if it saves it saves money, then it must be the case. Well done Snr Cruz….another step closer to Veuling! He’s started as he means to continue…..

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

openfly – 09/06/2016 17:01 BST

I daresay that there are those posters who work at the sharp end who can confirm whether or not the CE offering is refrigerated pending use on the return sector. I would have thought it more than likely.

SimonS1
    Participant

I don’t know why BA doesn’t just crack on with the BoB catering.

I’ve rarely eaten an airline meal in short haul Y (hot or cold) that is much above the mediocre so we won’t need to hold a wake.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Did we all not see this coming?

When an Airline as have most, have cut back so far, and are in profit, why take away more that causes resentment and such a bad press?
    You often get that with a “Special meal”, not on board most Airlines in any class, that “it is not part of The Contract”.
    I would say it is as far as the customer is concerned, having some decent food on 3-5 hr flight, after travelling to the airport, all the pre flights aspects, and post travel time. It could make easily an 8-10 hr period.

At times, i would prefer to pay and choose a better quality sandwich or meal, and drinks, but at least i get what i pay for, often good brands and decent quality foods.
    How many of us would choose and buy an Airline meal if it were in a cafe?!!

I have much respect for KLM that innovate with a decent sandwich, full of organic ingredients, healthy options, and hot pizza breads, baked items on European economy flights still. Business retains great seats, mini 3 course meals, impeccably presented and very tasteful.
    You can still purchase a Business space seat in Economy comfort also.

The challenge for decently run legacy Airlines, is to retain what they have , rather than cut back or become a semi low cost carrier.
    I cannot see Airlines like BA surviving in Europe charging what they do, when you get better quality food and seating for a small amount with LCC’s.

My business and loyalty will only go with those such as KLM, who strive to give the best, not greedy for profit in the short term. Unlike this, where BA are seriously damaging for short term monetary gain, but at a serious price in the medium / long term.
    How must the crews feel giving out such poor on board catering, and you bet this will be reflected in their behaviour and attitudes.

I know and see on so many Excellent Airlines, how proud and good the crews feel when they offer such premium cabin experiences, new aircraft, great foods / drinks on board, people are comfortable
    BA (Known i hear as Bloody awful), will not be in this category, or have not been for several years now.

esselle
    Participant

MarcusGB

The BA culture for some years now seems to have been built around “how much can we get away with” when it comes to their general service levels.

I haven’t flown their J class for about 5 years, but even then it was clear they were looking to save money above anything else. I avoid flying them in F wherever possible, because even that is becoming pretty poor, and whenever I do as a result of no choice it continues to show how much they have lost sight of providing service and quality ( table cloths not ironed and only three steaks loaded for a full cabin last time)

In the context of the above, pulling hot food in Y seems a logical progression,,,,,,,,

Edski777
    Participant

The real problem with BA is not “how to get on top””, but rather “how to stay on top”. And from a customer perspective they rapidly seem to be losing it.
    Where 15 years ago BA was amongst the industry leaders, they are now ever more lagging behind. Sad for their employees, their reputation and most of all their customers.
    A more balanced approach would be in order if they want to retain our business. Food is what is important to a large share of the customers. BA has been cutting away at that for quite some time now. Taking away even a half decent meal and swapping it for a lame sandwich is certainly not the way to entice me.

mkcol74
    Participant

I don’t get what the issue with round trip catering of hot meals is. It was standard amongst charter airlines for years without issue. They were blast frozen, then placed in the hold unheated, to then be brought upstairs once downroute before heading back home. Cannot recall if they were packed in dry ice too, or if that was something else.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Well I prefer food that is fresh rather than frozen and legacy carriers certainly did not used to emulate the standards of the charter airlines although now some seem to be below them.

Presumably the freezing is why there is no longer a salad plate.

Just for fun I’ve done some costings on a couple of routes for a round trip in September, I chose Wednesdays a couple of weeks apart and picked the cheapest economy options on the day between London and Athens and London and Istanbul.

London – Athens:

BA £337.81
    A3 £251.41
    EZY £200.37 including checked bag
    FR £267 including checked bag

London – Istanbul:

BA £219.95
    TK £105
    KK £157 (Atlasjet including checked bag)

So, lets see. BA certainly are not competing on price, they are not competing on seat pitch as they are no better than any and worse than some, they are not competing on cabin service with other legacy carriers, the experience of T5 compares badly to the experience of T2 or LGW north terminal.

So what do BA have to offer that is a USP these days? I can’t see anything unless perhaps it’s pay more for less or indeed nothing extra. The sort of penny pinching they are doing will never bring their fares in to line with their main competitors on these routes – A3 and TK let alone the others. Failure all round I think.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

This is very disappointing, if not unexpected.

In many of the destinations affected, such as Athens, the lounge food is very average and certainly doesn’t include hot dishes.

It’s never worried me because I’ve known I’d have a hot meal on the plane, even when flying in economy. Now that the hot meal is no more in Y, my only option to eat something substantial is to purchase it at the airport. This devalues the BA proposition for me. I hope they at least up their game in the lounge food department.

That said, once I retain Gold, when this change goes ahead I’ll be more likely to book easyjet / ryanair when flying to London, pay for an extra legroom seat, eat a nice meal at the airport, take some snacks on board purchased from my local supermarket and still be ahead $$$ wise.

Actually, those extra legroom seats on Ryanair are very nice indeed.

SimonS1
    Participant

@WillieWelsh – there isn’t a USP other than the fact that some passengers will be interlining to other long haul routes.

However not all travellers will do such an analysis. Some people will be locked into corporate deals, some will be slaves to BAEC/Avios and some will buy on price.

I doubt the food makes a lot of difference either way though. I can’t remember (or indeed a family member either) checking the inflight catering as part of my decision making.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

These days, there is little incentive to fly BA short haul, as it is, in effect, a loco airline. NB: loco was never mean to mean low prices, rather a cost focus and that is what drives BA.

I’d rather book easyJet (or Norwegian), buy the product features I want and enjoy the savings.

BA is usually not the best value, especially from the regions where theydon’t fly anywhere except London. And for travel to London from Lancaster, Virgin trains whups BA.

SimonS1

Pretty much right, except (a) some people also choose BA as they perceive it is a step up and a better lifestyle choice and (b) most people probably assume they will get a hot meal on a full service carrier on a 3-4 hour flight, so don’t check.

SimonS1
    Participant

True but even then I doubt whether changing the offer from ‘gristle in gravy’ to ‘crap in a wrap’ would make a lot of difference.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@ FDOS_UK – 10/06/2016 10:17 BST

I think you are right. People’s expectations when they hear BA, are heightened, especially for those who are not frequent travellers. There would be an assumption of superior service and quality over the likes of easyjet or Ryan Air. But the sad truth is, a brand’s reputation is their strongest asset, once that is tarnished, which BA seem to be intent on doing at every opportunity, other brands step in and takeover. So what so many here have already said a short term savings will have a negative long term impact.

I used to swear by BA, even travelled out of my way to fly them, but have completely shifted to Star Alliance now, in particular Swiss, and now only fly BA to burn my 750K avios (which isn’t easy as never the availability I need). I will lose my Gold BAEC status at the end of this year after being Gold since 1992.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

You might be surprised, Simon. Although it seems irrational, small things like this can act as tipping points for mass perception and create major problems for companies.

I’m not saying this particular change will, but stranger things have been known in the whacky world of social psychology.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 319 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls