British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 319 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

“This article demonstrates BA is actually cheaper than some of the LCC”

Yes and some of their flights cost less than the LCCs, too đŸ˜‰

MrMichael
    Participant

AllOverTheGaff, I was referring only to intra European, not long haul. I think BA’s strategy is to lower standards and fares on short haul to gain some point to point in competition with the Loco’s while protecting the feeder traffic on the profitable long haul offering.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

There’s an interesting piece here comparing pricing on BA, easyJet and Ryanair:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/british-airways-ryanair-or-easyjet-which-is-better-cheapest/

BA would not seem competitive if you are simply buying on price given that seat pitch is identical to Ryanair and if BOB is introduced then the last differentiator has gone.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

WillieWelsh – 19/05/2016 08:31 BST
    BA would not seem competitive if you are simply buying on price given that seat pitch is identical to Ryanair and if BOB is introduced then the last differentiator has gone.

In fairness to BA, I doubt anyone fly’s with them short haul for a G&T and 3 crisps. (What is it with those bags of crisps?) **IF** I was flying EDI – LHR – GIG in 1st or club, then surely they have the facility to offer me F&B on board the EDI – LHR route as part of the fare. If the dude next to me is on a £29.00 HBO fare, then he pays for his G&T and 3 crisps.

I don’t see a massive downside for BA TBH given how rubbish the food is on short haul. And given most on here have status with BA, you’d still get to fill up on 15 bags of crisps (the equivalent of a regular bag from the shops) and large G&T’s in the lounge.

This all assumes BA will manage it properly, you know, like they do with priority boarding. đŸ˜‰

Rgds.
    AOTG.

lesmclaren
    Participant

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/05/17/qatar-airways-lifts-stake-in-british-airways-owner-iag/

Wonder if this speaks volumes for the future? – especially the last paragraph!!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

I was reflecting on the merits and demerits of BoB last night when handed an offering on QF betwixt BNE and SYD. “I think it might be mash with the chicken” the helpful FA told me. Closer inspection revealed that Qantas must have secured the last remaining supply of “Smash” (remember the TV ads of robots chortling that humans would take potatoes and boil them in water before pulverising them…), or the closest that polystyrene has ever got to being vaguely edible.

The issue of plasticised, barely edible food in the air is far from unique to BA. Perhaps it is about time that BT had an annual awards category for the worst inflight offerings. I can think of plenty of contenders to nudge BA out of that “prize”.

MrMichael
    Participant

I do recall in the distant past, before the Internet when the only way to read BT was to buy it, they ran a competition along those lines. Readers were invited to send in photos ( before digital cameras) of the the food served by an airline in flight. I do not recall the winner (worst) but i do recall it looked pretty grim.

rferguson
    Participant

Some more catering announcements made for shorthaul today.

On the ‘Band 4’ european flights (eg LHR-IST/LCA/ATH etc) the hot meal in Eurotraveller is getting the chop to be replaced by a ‘chilled deli type snack’. This will allow BA to get rid of catering contracts at these outstations and food will be return catered ex LHR.

ba747fan1
    Participant

How do they source the hot club europe food?

openfly
    Participant

” a chilled deli type snack”. From a hot meal to a half of a sandwich…on a 4 hour flight. If I ask the crew to heat up my take-away curry or my BurgerKing meal, would they do it?

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

The race to the bottom just received a leg up!

JohnHarper
    Participant

That will make BA Y look totally devalued next to the hot meals provided in economy by Aegean and Turkish – particularly the Turkish Do&Co offering.

The idea of back catered food in C which is many hours old just adds to the attraction of BA.

BA has given us the following comment:

“We are moving to ‘return catering’ on all our short-haul services, including the longer length flights, which will ensure consistency of quality across all our European destinations.”

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/ba-to-remove-economy-hot-meals-from-remaining-s

sparkyflier
    Participant

“Consistency of quality” – does that mean it is ALL sh*te?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Rather than another excuse for the crap-in-a-wrap which soon becomes crap-in-a-wrap-in-a-sack, why not just tell Y passengers that there is no food offering, only drinks and a packet of nuts – and that passengers should bring on their own nosh? Were I not to have access to a lounge (which may or may not provide something substantially edible), I would be inclined to do this anyway. There are relatively few airports where you cannot pick up something vaguely edible without the need of a third mortgage.

That investment grade debt rating has to be financed somehow…

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 319 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls