British Airways power sockets in premium cabins

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Rich, you should see how some people behave in the back of a corporate.

The superstars are extremely humble, even have pictures of one making sandwiches for the crew!

The city “wealthy types” & smokers are the worst – but the environment is easily controllable!

As for power sockets, very rarely used, but no issues with powering up phones.

RichHI1
    Participant

Yes Martyn, with over 30 years of flying in msotly premium cabins and being lucky enough to stay in good hotels, my experience is that people who have the finances, fame, social cache, call it what you will are by an dlarge very pleasant people whilst those who are trying to impress, to creat an image that is perhaps not bourne out by reality or are not as importnat as they believe they are tend to be ill behaved spoilt brats whose manners are restricted as their taste or appreciation of true quality. Moan over. PS Sorry the smokers upset you. Love my cigar but would not smoke one in Private Jet as the smell takes a long time to get out even with JetAir and Febreze…

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I started off being incensed by the tone of YmeLord’s posts but have taken some deep breaths over the weekend and as usual am trying to take the balanced view

First of all, YmeLord, if you read my posts again you will see that I was very clear that rules should be followed and safety should of course be the first priority, and all I was suggesting was that BA should upgrade their power systems in order to provide – SAFELY – a feature that is increasingly in demand. I can’t quite see why this triggered your tirade.

Incidentally, if your post of 18/02/2012 10:25 GMT is anything to go by, I would probably be seen as your ideal premium passenger. I am unfailingly polite, always say please and thank you, smile at cabin crew and look them in the eyes when I talk to them, make a particular point of thanking them as I leave the aircraft if I feel the experience has been better than average, etc etc. I regard cabin crew as real human beings, and believe that the best way for me to have a good experience on planes is for me to treat them as such in the hope that they will respond in kind – quite apart from the fact that that is the way I prefer to behave in any situation. About the only thing any FA could criticise me for is that I occasionally press the call button, thereby summoning them away from the onerous safety duties which would no doubt otherwise occupy their full attention throughout a 12-hour flight, in order that I might have another drink or occasionally report a problem with the aircraft equipment which I would like their help to solve. Unfortunately, however, there are some cabin crew out there who regard their passengers as nothing more than “a…e licking business men who think someone died n made them god…”. I believe I experienced such a crew on my latest BA flight back from LHR to HKG, all of whom had clearly forgotten the second part of the airline’s slogan. It was a thoroughly unpleasant experience. I quite understand that you are aggrieved when passengers treat you poorly, and I hope you understand in turn that when people like me cough up something in the region of 10,000 quid for tickets we in turn are aggrieved when we encounter attitudes such as those you have articulated here.

1 user thanked author for this post.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Like Ian I am a dream passenger as I am fun to serve and show my appreciation to those who made special effort in the cabin. I would obey to regulations when they have been made clear in the first place but would not tolerate militant policing from the crew.

Unfortunately there are quite a few sour puss on BA and also some with the other US airlines across the Atlantic but the British crew excel when it come to displaying their superiority in the cabin to the passengers! To FLY yes but to SERVE no!

But if I am lucky enough to have a superb crew on BA then they are world class!

Cathay has a power point in every seat in many of their aircrafts and I am sure many people have used them for running and charging devices and I am curious no on-board fire has ever reported during all those years.

Extranuts
    Participant

I think my question is still the same; when i fly the UK flag carrier why cant i expect British plugs on board as a standard. The threads have shown this is possible and just because it is made by a US company I don’t see any reason why the cant specify a 3 point plug. If this needs to be ‘reset’ or some other mechanic by the passenger regularly to ensure they are not asleep and thus potentially causing a fire then fine and if I was explained tthis by a member of BA’s polite crew then I am sure I would get it!!!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Extranuts

It’s probably a matter of practicality, e.g. the number of peeps who use UK plugs v US or Euro (2 pin.)

Also, the Brit plug does need a larger area, due to the layout.

Daytripper
    Participant

BA New First seats have a multi configured power socket allowing UK/Euro/US plugs.

Shame they didn’t think of it when CW was refreshed a few years back. Seems quite obvious really.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Daytripper, that’s interesting. I have some extension power blocks from the middle east that allow virtually any plug to fit, including Australian, but the space they need is rather large, compared to a US/EU socket.

Good thinking to incorporate this, though.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Extranuts: Cathay Pacific installed the standard British sockets in their shell economy class seats (747, 777 and 330) and universal electricity plugs in the Biz and First class for UK/EU/US. The new Biz class can take on Aussie plugs.

cityprofessional
    Participant

It’s great that some aircraft now have multiplug sockets (US, EU, UK) and USBs for charging. All the newer BA aircraft have this in all classes. But, alas, many older aircraft don’t fit UK plugs and some, I believe, still need Empower. V irritating when I was flying to Dubai last year on one of BA’s oldest 747s – a last minute sub – as I didn’t have any adapters with me (Dubai uses UK sockets)

However, I think it’s unfair for travellers to “demand” that all aircraft have all sockets in all seats. There was a time when mobile devices were rare – iPhones were only launched in 2007 – this was after New Club World was first introduced, and personally I wouldn’t expect that cabins are completely refitted every 8 years – it’s not like in seat power doesn’t require a lot of sophisticated wiring

Think yourself lucky that you are not travelling on Scoot, which offers inseat power. For a fee!
    http://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/2015/02/04/scoots-pay-to-play-ac-outlets-the-future-of-onboard-power/

NNoah16
    Participant

Travelling back from Washington DC, First, on a B777: After take-off plugged my iphone to charge and was using my iPad a cabin attendant told me that I cannot charge a device that I am not using because it is a fire risk.
    He also suggested he show me videos of devices combusting whilst charging. I ignored him and eventually fell asleep only to find out that my device had been unplugged.
    This has never happened to me before. Is it a new policy that I am not aware off?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have been told several times (on BA) that the in seat power is just that, to be used to power up a unit. It is not ‘meant’ to be used to charge up your phone.

We did have a long thread about this some years ago, but I think the search function is quite working just yet…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

MartynSinclair
    Participant

That’s not the one I was thinking of.. It was a much longer thread…

I did try and enter key words into the search box, but did not get a list of suitable threads, as previous…

handbag
    Participant

As BA Cabin and Flight Crew, we have operation manuals, that states

“When not being used PED’s must be switched off and disconnected from the seat power socket.”

If we see a PED plugged in, then we are supposed to ensure it is unplugged. I am sure that most passengers would prefer that we unplug them , rather than waking them for them to do so, so that is generally what happens.

We also get regular reminders of the importance of ensuring that this is adhered to.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls