British Airways power sockets in premium cabins

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 115 total)

• JordanD
    Participant

Just to let you know on new WT+ (and I think on the new WT, so therefore on the 777-300ERs), it is a multi-socket, comprising UK, US & EU plus socket. Hope that helps.

Extranuts
    Participant

I must add my personal note to this.I recently settled into my club world seat with my Sony laptop and mains lead only to find the plug did not fit. The cabin crew were as surprised as I was that it turned out our British flag carrier airline appeared to have a US socket!!! Who in BA specified that? Of course the very helpful purser offered to sell me an adaptor for about £60 so maybe the person who specified it saw an additional income stream……

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Extranuts

I believe that the seat sockets are also made by Empower, a US company.

If you do the math of total users of (a) US plugs, (b) Euro type 2 pin plugs and (c) UK plugs, you will understand why the 2 sockets provided, are provided.

Also, although the UK plug is probably the safest plug in the world, it is very bulky and thus difficult to fit a socket into a confined area.

I am based in Malta, where the UK plug is standard, but as I travel a lot, I find the following set up is convenient

I use a euro plug for my power brick to mains cable http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Connectors-Mains-Power/Cordsets/European-2-pin-plug-to-figure-8-lead/72092/kw/23-7498?source=googleps&utm_source=googleps

I have a euro to UK adaptor (fused and to BS standard) like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Travel-Adaptor-Plug-Worldwide-European/dp/B000P0FIUM/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_text_b

Then I carry a US convertor http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Travel-Changer-Adapter-Plug-European-Euro-to-US-USA_W0QQitemZ260648785224QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=206418207059&rvr_id=206418207059&cguid=5079e86812c0a0aa17175b67ff8ccbd6

This covers me for the countries I visit regularly.

I also use an aftermarket power supply with land/air electricity supply capability, including an Empower classic type adaptor. It also has a USB output, which is useful for charging my iPod and BlackBerry, without using a laptop USB port.

With this combination I can manage most countries, but still have to pack separate plugs for South Africa and India.

Ymelord
    Participant

“All I can add to this is some info about Old First. There is a strange looking power socket which requires a power pack supplied by the crew. It works fine if all you’re charging is an iPod or mobile phone but there is not enough juice coming out of there to power a modern laptop. I haven’t tried my laptop in New First yet but I expect it should be no problem”

There is a reason for this, and it is that the sockets on board are a trickle supply and are to be used to power you laptop not charge it… And also it is to be used only for laptops not mobiles or any other electrical items

Ymelord
    Participant

“I must add my personal note to this.I recently settled into my club world seat with my Sony laptop and mains lead only to find the plug did not fit. The cabin crew were as surprised as I was that it turned out our British flag carrier airline appeared to have a US socket!!! Who in BA specified that? Of course the very helpful purser offered to sell me an adaptor for about £60 so maybe the person who specified it saw an additional income stream”

I THINK U WILL FIND IT IS MORE TO DO WITH THE VOLTAGE OF THE AIRCRAFT THAT THE DESIGN OF THE SEAT… THEY ARE AMERICAN BUILT AIRCRAFT… EVEN THE PLUGS FOR THE CLEANERS HOOVERS ARE 2 PIN USA PLUGS…

FirstFleeter35
    Participant

laptops are not meant to be charged on the aircraft, particulary when passengers then fall asleep, it is a serious fire risk as many laptops overheat very easily. It is a major cause of fire in many households, I would never charge my laptop overnight at home, I only do so when I am around, the same applies on an aeroplane.

Ymelord
    Participant

Exactly Sookie…

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Empower sockets are hugely irritating things. There really is no excuse in this day and age for a premium airline not to fit multi-sockets which take US, European and UK style plugs. Having said that, since the mainstream power supply of (so far as I can tell) all planes supplied by both Airbus and Boeing is 110V, I have no issue with the sockets only being able to provide that, which may be a problem for someone using UK equipment which isn’t multivoltage (but that is pretty rare for business equipment nowadays).

I like the fact that the new CX business class not only has a decent multisocket but also a UBS socket pumping out enough power to charge a BlackBerry (which are usually very pernickety things and won’t charge from many mains-powered USB adapters) so I was able to power up two things at once.

Ymelord
    Participant

Ian_from_HKG

Aircraft power is not designed to ” charge ” equipment it is just to be used while the item is in use an unplugged after… It therefore will not need to have increase power.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

With respect, Ymelord, I am not at all convinced that that is the case. Some airlines/aircraft provide just 75W (which is some cases isn’t even enough to operate a laptop), others provide more. Either way, most equipment can be charged if it isn’t being operated, and some can be charging while being used as well.

Regardless of whether this is what the designers intended, passengers are likely to use the sockets to charge devices if that is what they need to do, and from the passenger’s perspective the question is really one of whether enough power is provided. The point I made was that on Cathay’s new business class the USB sockets provide enough power to charge a BlackBerry (which is unusual).

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Ymelord

You take, with respect, an uncommercial view.

If an FQTV needs to use or charge equipment and airline A supports this, whilst airline B does not, this is quite an incentive to use A and not B.

I have taken such choices in the past, dropping EK in favour of others. Equally, I choose a special meal when travelling in J with BA, due to a combination of prefering to avoid the lesser seats in F if there is an involup and also not having to carry an empower lead for the same reason.

RichHI1
    Participant

Empower was a big step forward when it started but the 75w limit do longer runs many laptops (forget charging). As airlines migrate to AC sockets this limit should go up. As regards 110v on planes, I am unsure about the reason for this. I believe historically 110 V was fitted for outlets in the plane (prior to in seat power). Whether it is historic, whether it is safer to run 110v than 220/240v I am not sure. I can only think of the safety aspect that plugging a 110 v appliance it will work, plugging in a 230 v appliance it will either run slow or not at all. With 230 v power plugging in 220/240 v appliance will work, plugging in a 110 v appliance could start a fire unless circuit breakers are applied to every power point.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Rich, this is relatively unlikely to happen with the sort of devices that you will be plugging in on an aircraft, but I should warn you that running electrical equipment at an undervoltage can cause huge problems too. Anything that involves a motor – such as the cooling fan in your laptop – can overheat at low voltage and, of course, a cooling fan running slow could cause your laptop itself to overheat. I understand some voltage adapters (such as the mains-to-DC adapters commonly used for laptops) can also overheat if run at an undervoltage. Anything running software (phones, laptops, PDAs, personal viewers) could get pretty upset if run with the wrong power.

As I said, unlikely in this day and age since your laptop is probably set up either to run on multivoltage systems or to cut out when it gets too hot, and other devices may simply not start up, but you cannot just assume that it is safe to plug a 220/240V appliance into a 110V socket.

Ymelord
    Participant

At the end of the day Ian_from_HKG it is irrelevant whether a passenger NEEDS to charge an electronic device.. The safety of an aircraft and it’s passengers and crew is paramount … Therefore, while the rule is that items are unplugged when not in use, then the crew will continue to endorse this rule. When ever I see passengers asleep or watching the IFE while charging their equipment, I either ask them to unplug them, or if asleep do it myself… So some occasions when they have refused I have turned off the in seat power…

If you feel other airlines are allowing this, and thus making a better service… May I suggest, in the politest sense, you fly with them, but remember, our rules are there for your safety and based on research.

RichHI1
    Participant

THanks Ian, fair points and I would agree. Having plugged a portable TV into the UK socket and seen the smoke I knwo you don’t get a second chance whereas I would hope if you plugged in your device and it did not work properly first thing would be unplug it. Hopefully it would not burst into flames.

That said, I think this thread is off topic. No one should be charging batteries ion a plane. Many modern laptops however will not run on 75w let alone charge. I awlasy fully charge up my laptop (a Sony) in the lounge and it just works on empower on AA 777’s. I have to lpug in flight adapter in first then connect power cable hten plug in laptop then switch it on. If I connect everything and plug into socket last it red lights and cuts out. Had variable luck on BA but I have to use a different if power adapter for that and this may be the issue (the one AA sold does not work on BA aircraft and vice versa – no one can explain why but they cut out used on the other airlines systems)
    So I say airlines should move to power systems that are able to run modern laptops not limited to 75w but people should on no account charge any batteries on a plane.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 115 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls