British Airways power sockets in premium cabins

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 106 through 115 (of 115 total)

• TCSH11
    Participant

[quote quote=714834]Thinking a bit more about this I remember 15-20 years ago SQ used to have a policy that there was no charging of electronic items allowed from the in seat power supply. It was stated in the safety video, on the safety card and Singapore Girl did politely remind you about it during the flight if you appeared not to be using the item plugged in – perhaps rather more politely than the OP was treated on BA.

Now of course BA are still using essentially the same cabin products on their long haul fleet as they were 20 years ago although of course we’ve seem much trumpeting about New First and New Club World they are essentially the same tired old, densely configured seats of 20 years ago which may explain why BA still have this policy when no one else does – as we all know, the BA product is just not up to the job.

ABBA.

[/quote]

I am not sure how many times we have to say this… but it’s got nothing to do with the charging sockets.. whether in new or old seats… it’s the Lithium batteries that’s the problem. When are people going to grasp this. It’s nothing to do with whether your in new club, old first or flying in a WW2 bomber… it’s the batteries that over heat, and if they are not on a table or held so they ventilate, but are in a draw, on a blanket, or even on the floor they will over heat. Laptops at home on a carpet if left will over heat…

So as a friendly Meerkat states

ITS SIMPLES

TCSH11
    Participant

[quote quote=714885]

Thinking a bit more about this I remember 15-20 years ago SQ used to have a policy that there was no charging of electronic items allowed from the in seat power supply. It was stated in the safety video, on the safety card and Singapore Girl did politely remind you about it during the flight if you appeared not to be using the item plugged in – perhaps rather more politely than the OP was treated on BA.

Now of course BA are still using essentially the same cabin products on their long haul fleet as they were 20 years ago although of course we’ve seem much trumpeting about New First and New Club World they are essentially the same tired old, densely configured seats of 20 years ago which may explain why BA still have this policy when no one else does – as we all know, the BA product is just not up to the job.

ABBA.

John, just a couple of thoughts

Firstly, the SQ approach of embedding the info on the safety card and reinforcing it is the right way to go – if there is a concern. Not hiding it in the back of the inflight mag and making a separate announcement when there is a lot going on in the cabin and many people will not even hear the PA or understand the point (whatever Handbag, displaying an obvious cognitive bias against frequent travellers) may think.

Secondly, battery technology has evolved a lot in the past 15-20 years and we moved from NiCd to LiMh to Lion and more important to far higher capacities.

If an old battery ‘let go’, it would overheat and that would pretty much be that. These days it can be much worse, as shown by the two videos that I posted earlier – there is no doubt that Lion batteries can do a lot of damage. This typically starts with the battery being compromised, e.g. by crushing, whether conencted or not.

It seems that BA is out of step with the rest of the industry (and not addressing the real risk) and the more I think about it, the industry should be actively doing more to explain the risks of Lion batteries onboard – pointing out the dangers of damaging devices in the safety briefing would be a good place to start.

[/quote]

Oh for god sake, they do mention it in safety briefings … plus the PA it is mentioned in is after take off so one would think people could listen.

We at Virgin have it in the safety video, in PA and on safety card, and STILL people do not take any notice.. short of printing it in 10 ft signs along the cabin wall I have no idea how else we are meant to tell you. That’s why, when a crew member sees someone doing it they try and explain, point it out in the magazine or like us, the safety car ad ask it to be unplugged… only,to be met by rudeness and resistance.. as people do not like to be told things… Maybe they would prefer to EXPERIENCE it and then believe us.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

TSCH11

You come across as an arrogant twit tbh.

NNoah16
    Participant

Good reminder why I never fly Virgin

TCSH11
    Participant

[quote quote=768698]TSCH11

[/quote]

Maybe, based on some of the argumentative people on here that basically want their own way or no way, crew need to be in order for the message to sink in!!!

Basically a rule is a rule, whether you as a passenger likes it or not… it has to be enforced by crew, whether you like it or not. Maybe if passengers spent less time and effort fighting against rules, and more doing as they are meant to, their would be less Argo.

Just because other airlines allow it does not make it safe to do, maybe the fact Virgin and BA don’t allow them makes them safer than the likes of some of the other ones who don’t either have or enforce that rule.
    A motorway is 70 MPH but I see or get over taken by idiots going 80/90/100 but that does not a)make it ok for me to do it as well b) make safe for me to do it as well, c) eventually the others will either crash or get caught.

Maybe passengers need to understand rules are not made by the crew, they just have to follow and enforce them, or get in to grief by the company.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=768897]

TSCH11

Maybe, based on some of the argumentative people on here that basically want their own way or no way, crew need to be in order for the message to sink in!!!

Basically a rule is a rule, whether you as a passenger likes it or not… it has to be enforced by crew, whether you like it or not. Maybe if passengers spent less time and effort fighting against rules, and more doing as they are meant to, their would be less Argo.

Just because other airlines allow it does not make it safe to do, maybe the fact Virgin and BA don’t allow them makes them safer than the likes of some of the other ones who don’t either have or enforce that rule.
    A motorway is 70 MPH but I see or get over taken by idiots going 80/90/100 but that does not a)make it ok for me to do it as well b) make safe for me to do it as well, c) eventually the others will either crash or get caught.

Maybe passengers need to understand rules are not made by the crew, they just have to follow and enforce them, or get in to grief by the company.

[/quote]

I revise my opinion, you are an idiot.

TCSH11
    Participant

[quote quote=768959]

TSCH11

[/quote]

Funny how as soon as someone explains something to a argumentative business man that they don’t like… they lower themselves to abuse… very grown up.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=769340]

TSCH11

Funny how as soon as someone explains something to a argumentative business man that they don’t like… they lower themselves to abuse… very grown up.

[/quote]

The reason you are an idiot is because you are arguing the wrong argument with the wrong person. Abuse seems to be the form of language that you favour (you are probably too stupid and ‘right’ to realise that you are being abusive), thus my reciprocity – have a nice day.

Edski777
    Participant

FDOS_UK, cool down a bit. Whether we like it or not: TCSH11 has a valid point.
    Smile and the world looks a bit brighter.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=769384]FDOS_UK, cool down a bit. Whether we like it or not: TCSH11 has a valid point.
    Smile and the world looks a bit brighter.

[/quote]

EdSki

If you look back through the thread, you’ll notice that I have been raising the dangers of Lion batteries and advocating taking great care to avoid incidents. I’ve haven’t suggested that people should break any rules, in this way this idiot is accusing and he doesn’t have a valid point in my case.

The cabin announcements have been beefed up on BA since I posted my original thoughts saying they should do more, so he is late to the game in either not realsiing this or ignoring it.

Just a nasty troll trying to stir things up.

With the Samsung Note 7 situation, the general awareness of the potential problem is hopefully far higher, as there is a clear and present danger from runaway Lion batteries.

Viewing 10 posts - 106 through 115 (of 115 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls