British Airways power sockets in premium cabins

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 115 total)

• FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Ymelord: From what I read about your view, clearly you are not oriented to the commerical passengers’s needs. The reality is all these gadgits are here to stay.

All airlines must move forward to upgrade their electrical system to offer more power to their premium passengers to retain their business.

In my polite way perhaps you should go and work somewhere else!

Ymelord
    Participant

Thank you very much Flyingchinaman for you somewhat useless input to this thread… But it is nothing to do with levels of power, or types of sockets… If a passenger is asleep or not using electrical equipment while plugged in, they are not going to be aware of overheating or issues that could cause fire…
    Do you know how long it takes for a fire on an aircraft to be beyond control??? …2 mins.
    Having been in an aircraft fire… Which is a scary incident, I for one, if it is a rule BA imposes, it is one I will continue to endorse and enforce.

If you value the charge of your laptop PDA or what ever more important than the lives of the other on board an aircraft, maybe it’s you who should go somewhere else…
    And also, maybe PREMIUM passengers should realise the world does not revolve around you or your work, and that rules are there to be followed…

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Ymelord: I appreciate your sharing this personal experience with an on-board electrical fire but I failed to see why charging or more usual using the power point for elecrical devices can cause fire. If this is the case then these sockets should never have been certified for usage in the first place!!!!!

Many airlines I travelled on never banning the charging of such devices. Are they any less safe than BA?

Is this information being posted in a visible place for the passengers to read and to observe?

I hate to correct you, premium passengers are very very important to all airlines and even their existence. Their needs must be provided for, in a safe manner..

Lastly, II would never suggest any passengers, irrespective the class of travel should jeopardize air safety issues,

Travel SAFE!

Ymelord
    Participant

1) yes it is CLEARLY (although not clearly enough for some people it would seem) stated in the Highlife magazine that the in seat power sockets are for a) you with laptops only b) not to be used to charge items , it is a power source to be used while the laptop is in use… It is also ( although not always said ) part of the CSD’s welcome PA.
    2) yes fires can be caused by anything electrical, and it often is not the socket, it is the item that catches fire… Thus the rule ….
    3) I realise that premium passengers are important , but what they don’t realise is money or class status does not exempt you from or change any of the aircraft safety rules , this includes switching on mobiles after landing as well as the issue of in seat power… Rules are rules where ever you sit and who ever you are… Regardless of the cost of your ticket.. And soon people learn that the better
    4) if you were, as it seems you are, unaware of BA’s ruling on in seat power, how do you know other airlines are not the same?? They could well have same rules but you have just been breaking them like you have on BA flights…. Its possible

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Ymelord: Thanks for point out this power socket fire harzard and I shall most definately read the info next time I am on a BA flight. I am not out to breaking regulations and my personal safety is important to me just like all other on board.

But if it can cause fire easily with charging electric devices, shouldn’t a more prominence notice be affixed near the power point to warn them? Not every passenger would rummage through every pages of the airline magazine (BA has more than other airlines!). some might not even read the language!

My last sentence in my previous post did stress NO passengers, irrespectively of where they sit should jeopardize air safety!

Ymelord
    Participant

I agree, it should be more widely posted, hence why it is meant to be said in PA’s which if a language speaker is on board would be done in that lingo… We as crew also have a light on side of both 1st and CW seats showing when the socket is in use, and if it is seen that no item is being used but is being charged we are to remind passengers that it is not for that and point out the item in Highlife… But unfortunately we could, even. If it was put on the socket, do so in a few lingo’s …
    What is more annoying is when we point it out, CW passengers laugh and then try, wen we r not looking to plug in again… Thing is we know because the light goes on in seat and wen we do our walk rounds.. Bingo we can see it … They really do think us crew are thick waitresses in the sky… Well… I have news.. This one ain’t.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Ymelord: You have enlighten me with the fact that improper use can cause fire. I am not here to fight you but human nature is such that unless there is serious warning sign, most people don’t comply!

Keep up with the good work. As I said again, I value my own life very muchand I would do anything to keep it that way.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Ymelord – if that is indeed the rule on BA (I don’t know, not having read the relevant section of the High Life magazine, which as FlyingChinaman points out means that an apparently vital part of the safety warnings that should be provided to passengers are not being made with enough prominence) then I quite agree that it should be enforced. I do not believe, and have never suggested, that passengers should put their convenience in front of safety, or that they should break any rules.

However, and this is of course the point I was trying to make, there is considerable demand now for passengers to have in-seat power and I believe this includes a facility to charge devices. You make it abundantly clear that BA’s systems are not designed to cope with this demand, but to me this just means that BA is behind the times and should upgrade its systems. Such an upgrade is entirely possible, and if I may also contradict Rich I see no reason why batteries should not be charged on a plane. Some travellers may be lucky enough to have time in their schedules to charge laptops in the lounge. I frequently don’t (charging a laptop from flat can take several hours, I am rarely in a lounge for more than one), and in any case in many airport lounges (certainly in Asia) it simply isn’t possible to get access to a plug. Even when I travel without a laptop, I frequently need a recharge for my mobile and blackberry at the end of a business trip.

I mentioned that on the new CX business seat there is a USB socket providing enough power to charge a blackberry. I have just checked on this, and the USB socket doesn’t connect to the entertainment system, it is PURELY for charging (from CX’s website: “There is also a USB port for charging mobile devices.” and “You can also charge your mobile phones with the USB socket or power supply socket”). If CX can do this (and it clearly can), then it should be possible for BA to do so as well.

As to fire – yes, that is a hazard. But that hazard exists anyway. To my recollection there have been multiple incidents of mobile phones spontaneously combusting (while they are not being charged, I might add). I am not aware that BA or any other airline bans carriage of mobile phones, despite this documented risk. I cannot believe that CX would be installing power sockets for charging devices (and remember the USB socket is SOLELY installed for this purpose) if the risk was unacceptably high. If the configuration of BA’s power system is such that the risk IS unacceptably high, then again that represents a compelling reason for BA to upgrade, don’t you think?

Ymelord, you say that you are crew on BA, and as a crew member you have now invited both FlyingChinaman and me to fly on other airlines. Thank you, I will take that recommendation very seriously.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I used the power socket to run my Sony Vaio in the days before iPads and it managed to destroy the battery!

Ymelord
    Participant

Ian_from_HKG..
    Please do fly with someone else if you so desire.. It really does not bother me one way or another.. My main job is safety not a…e licking business men who think someone died n made them god…
    As for the upgrade, you will be pleased to know that the new WT seats do in fact have USB system…but they are still not to be used to CHARGE a laptop…
    As for the info in highlife magazine… It is stated in the safety video that information is listed in highlife regarding the use of electrical equipment… But then again, the safety video is something else business men see as beneath them to watch…..

batraveller2
    Participant

Thankfully I have never come across Ymelord on my travels as I think I would be flying a different airline!

Ymelord
    Participant

Maybe if a large % of Business travellers did not see our job as an extension of their PA’s/mothers/wives, who I am sure they treat with the same contempt and disrespect as they do us, we as crew would feel a little less undervalued… When you are asked to do something.. DO IT, don’t just sit their with you puppy dog ” bloodshot ” eyes and expect someone else to do it for you… When you ask for something, say PLEASE, when you asked a question, have decency to look at us when you answer, and try and answer a little less as if we are a nuisance… I don’t really care if you have a drink or food…but it’s what the airline wants us to give you … And if you happen to be working then sorry but that is not my fault…
    When you see us come along with the items have the commen decency to remove sound cancelling head phones… I am a little fed up with having to repeat myself 3 times because you are to rude to take them off 4 few seconds… I am sure your Sinatra cd will pause.
    When an aircraft is delayed.. Don’t shout n swear at me … I didn’t make it snow, or fog in UK So, back of and realise its an ” act of nature” not the crew with a cauldron making delay spells…

Now Mr batraveller2 I could go on with a list about 2 miles long of reasons why crew at BA, and prob many other airlines are getting fed up with passengers… But I have just listed a few… And can I say, Gold card status, which, thanks to the IA I am too… Does not give people the god given right to leave manners at home… Assuming they had any in 1st place… It also means you fly a lot, as does silver, so therefore, you know the rules, you know the service… So do us all a favor, and work with us, not against us every sector…and remember …. At end of the day, crew don’t make the rules … They just follow them…

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“yes it is CLEARLY (although not clearly enough for some people it would seem) stated in the Highlife magazine that the in seat power sockets are for a) you with laptops only b) not to be used to charge items , it is a power source to be used while the laptop is in use… It is also ( although not always said ) part of the CSD’s welcome PA. “

I have NEVER heard this announcement made. Ever. I have been flying BA since 1978, reguarly.

Of course, it would not affect me, as my laptop is switched on and therefore being used (I’m probably watching a movie, as BA IFE screens are not great and the old 777s have cr*p systems) and my iPod is connected to my laptop for data transfer only, as is my BlackBerry (of course in flight mode.)

Who knows whether they charge during the process, do CC carry voltmeters?

One more thing. Emirates have a charging point, please watch my lips, CHARGING POINT, for the laptops of pax in F and J on their A330s.

So don’t assume all airlines have the same SOPs, you may only travel on BA, but some of us do have broader horizons.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have to confirm that I was always aware that the power sockets are not meant to be used as “charging” sockets on BA.

I have always found cabin crew helpful though when charging my blackberry, but I am nervous to now use mains leads for my Fujitsu (soon to be exchanged to Toshiba), preferring to travel with an extra battery.

I would also confirm that I have never come across a cabin crew member with a similar attitude to his guests, as the one currently posting on this thread. With an attitude like that, I can see why pax would wish to choose another airline.

RichHI1
    Participant

Observations on this heated thread..
    Having had dealings with the general public in a prior role many years ago, I can understand some of ymelord’s contempt and I must say I find the worst very few of BA pax in First and their elites to be some of the rudest I have ever met. That said if you work in a customer service industry then it goes with the territory and if you cannot get over it then you need to change to a role more suited to your temperament. Not saying it is easy but it’s the way it is.

2. I feel that all airlines are terrified of upsetting their frequent elites and their F passengers by asking them to obey the rules. I think airlines need to look at their rules, justify which ones they really need and then back up staf to enforce them, lke kicking Alec Baldwin off the flight to NYC. (INterestingly this attitude of defernce does not spread to revenue and they are very happy to stiff elites and F passengers when it comes to fares and charges.)
    3. I am not at all at ease with people charging Lithium Batteries on aircraft. There are strict rules in place for the transportation of Lithium Batteries on commercial aircraft and there are incidents of batteries catching fire under charge. (Probably the ever downward forrce of prices has reduced the quality of the producst as in everything else. Compare build quality of consumer goods to 20 years ago…) As a result I woudl be uncomfortable for an airline to allow battery charging unless they have documented safety processes in plcae and it is probable that some do. I know AA ripped out a lot of empowers due to the possibility of fire when charging batteries and have almost finished replacing them with equipment that is safe. I am not aware of BA equipment other than there is virtually none on BA EC services.
    As WiFI becomes available it will become an even bigger issue particularly as many items will not function with the battery removed.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 115 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls