British Airways Global System Outage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 226 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

http://news.sky.com/story/ba-boss-profusely-sorry-for-it-meltdown-disrupting-75000-10897421

Video from Sky.

“we are absolutely committed to provide and abide by the compensation rules that are currently in place”

Let’s see if they do it proactively bearing in mind they have everyones’ contact details or whether they force passengers to go through hoops and complete acres of unnecessary paperwork.

capetonianm
    Participant

I have successfully fought a number of EU261/2004 claims on behalf of friends and family over the last few years. Putting it nicely, BA are amongst the more ‘creative’ when it comes to finding reasons not to pay. The worst, their sister company IB.

The best have been EZY and, perhaps surprisingly, AF.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A very professional, presumably third party BA agent, threating to call the police..

http://news.sky.com/video/ba-worker-threatens-to-call-police-on-passenger-10897222

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

From on high, CruzControl has deigned to address the multitudes on BBC Radio 4’s “The world at one”. His explanation has migrated from power outage to power surge: not one and the same. Then, when the GMB’s charge about sacking the entire IT department back in 2015 was put to him, he stated that “the issue had been and is being dealt with locally by local staff….” without stating explicitly in just which locality he was referring to.

In terms of explanations, this continues with the “as clear as mud” approach to communications so far employed by BA’s senior managers.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=809848]A very professional, presumably third party BA agent, threating to call the police..

http://news.sky.com/video/ba-worker-threatens-to-call-police-on-passenger-10897222

[/quote]

I would suggest her career of working (directly or indirectly) for BA is probably terminally limited.

Very professional.

The world’s most successful airline in action, in fact.

openfly
    Participant

@SimonS1….no chance. Sackings are illegal in Italy! She will be promoted…

Charles-P
    Participant

What is it with airlines and being unable to put into place a public relations strategy that covers problems like this ? I am by no means an expert in this field but I have always believed the following.

Rule 1 – single point of contact with the media with a person that has extensive media training
    Rule 2 – tell the truth, BS always gets found out
    Rule 3 – keep those affected fully informed
    Rule 4 – see rule 2

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=809848]A very professional, presumably third party BA agent, threating to call the police..

[/quote]

Wow. Words fail me.

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=809811]BBC piece

What went wrong at BA?

[/quote]

Interesting piece. If the hypothesis re: lack of back-up power and non-availability of UPS is true, it is a gargantuan cockup.

capetonianm
    Participant

This sums up a lot of what is wrong with BA :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/05/29/british-airways-like-ryanair-roller-skates-mimicking-east-german/

British Airways is like Ryanair on roller-skates: mimicking the East German-style brutality of budget airlines without ultra-cheap fares.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The Italian lady threating to call the police over a passenger inquiry, sits alongside the gate agent I reported about a few weeks ago in FRA, who due to his total incompetence, decided passengers no longer need ID checks when boarding at the gate (I have since learned that latter agent has now been sacked).

If BA continue to outsource staff & services, to third party companies, these incidents will only continue to worse and potentially more serious.

Yes airlines need to be competitive, but they also need to be provide a high level professional service, which just does not happen with outsourced and cheap employees and services.

andrew.gill
    Participant

Comments such as ‘Snr Cruz’, ‘sack a few Indians’ and a reference to a ‘paella stand’ are really disheartening

Even in a crisis, racism goes left unchecked

** Edited by BT. I think the references is to Chiefs & Indians (ie bosses and workers) rather than race ***

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=809936]Comments such as ‘Snr Cruz’, ‘sack a few Indians’ and a reference to a ‘paella stand’ are really disheartening

Even in a crisis, racism goes left unchecked

[/quote]

Racism, are you serious?
    Really?
    Where exactly? – or did I miss something here?

The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
    Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

openfly
    Participant

@andrew.gill He is Spanish and the polite way of addressing him is Snr. How on earth is that racist?!! I must remember not to order “paella” in Ibiza this weekend for fear of being racist and offending the locals. Whoever said “sack a few Indians”, should be banned from BT….that’s nearly as bad as saying “sack Snr Cruz”.

openfly
    Participant

@capetonianm You are so correct in being aware of racism when you order a Cornish pasty. You know very well how we Cape Town chaps must be careful not to use the words white and black, replacing them with purple and green!! ?

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 226 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls