British Airways Global System Outage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 226 total)

• Edski777
    Participant

Any half decent company has a business continuity plan. Ready and tested. How in the world can an operation that is so reliant on IT not have such a plan. The top management has some explaining to do, at least to the board and the shareholders. Other important stakeholders: Passengers, please line up for compensation under EU261.

Note to management:
    Damn; nasty that all this happened before Brexit. Make a note to lobby that anything EU261-ish is amongst the first rules to be scrapped after.

Stowage222
    Participant

I have an image in my head of a lot of headless chickens running around T5, Waterside & Mumbai! Come on, this is not the first ‘outage’ they have suffered. Each time BA emphasises that communication is the key and yet I still see pax complaining that no info is being provided. When will they finally learn?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

There are times when you don’t know whether to laugh or cry. My erstwhile military colleagues would describe this as a “cluster*ck”. As my sister and brother-in-law (previously en route to PEK on BA039) have reported, there has been just about no information, total chaos and then being left to your own devices. At least ITA Matrix gives a steer as to alternative options.

I would dearly love to be in the BA Boardroom probably tomorrow morning (or Monday if they’re having problems getting to Waterside) to witness the explanations/excuses trotted out for what has to be one of the biggest civil aviation customer service failures of all time. IT outsourcing? Lack of basic resilience in the infrastructure? Lack of IT security? Too much focus on cost savings and not enough on what it takes to keep a business functioning?

And interesting that BA would not put up any kind of spokes(wo)man on BBC Radio this afternoon. Just where are Walsh or Cruz when their pay packages would indicate that they should be taking it full on the chin for the failings of their organisation.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Total cock up at Manchester. No warning of any problems at check in, even though they knew about it. No announcements in the lounge only information given when you approached the desk, the passengers knew more via online news, than the lounge reception. BA no longer has any BA patrolled staff anymore, the lounge lady also works in WH Smith, quite shocking that she was left on her own all afternoon without any help. After being left in limbo in the lounge for hours, we collected our luggage and were directed to the ticket desk, which they had closed, leaving staff just handing out leaflets.
    Now tucked up in hotel at Manchester,fingers crossed for tomorrow.
    Now I hear it was all due to a power supply problem…….

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Capture

Edski777
    Participant

If it is true it was a “power outage” it would be truly embarrassing. Any reputable IT service provider provides an Uninterrupted Power Supply facility plus being linked to a mirror site to provide the maximum uptime to critical processes.
    This kind of service interruption because of loss of power is unheard of nowadays.

I’m looking forward to at least some further explanation on what happened, what the reaction was, what measures will be taken to prevent this in the future and who will be held responsible for this (plese choose whatever word you like to fill in here).

And how they will cover the losses in financial terms, the reputation damage and getting all the people to their destination. After all: tens of thousands are stranded in places where they didn’t expect to be.

The next few days will show how good the BA management is at crisis management.

capetonianm
    Participant

“The next few days will show how bad the BA management is at crisis management.”

More realistic, I fear.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Snr Cruz said the “root cause was a power supply issue” – perhaps it was simply a case that BA forgot to pay their bill….

capetonianm
    Participant

As an afterthought, BA senior management should be investigated as ‘not fit for purpose’

canucklad
    Participant

I’ve had an enjoyable day out at my local and am happy to say about to rest my head on my welcoming soft pillow. Yet in my current non lucidity I fully can’t comprehend why BA,whom seem to suffer more than most with “outages” (can’t recall Ryanair outing themselves) don’t have a paper plan in place.

Nostalgic and naive I might be, but I seem to recall checking in ,and the gorgeous CP lass would pull a sticker off a plan of a plane and stick it onto a card, thus I knew where I needed to sit .
    Over engineering will undoubtedly be many a companies downfall . And remember BA , customers would rather you met them with a great KISS business philosophy than a see you next Tuesday and hope for the best we’ll try our damdnest to get you to where you wanted to be, as long as you want to be in T5 attitude

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

So, it’s best for BA if we contact them via Twitter says Mr Cruz (or words to that effect)

What about those many 1,000’s of people, like me, who don’t (and never will) have Twitter??

Lucky for me, I chose to use LH for this particular trip.

openfly
    Participant

On BA.com Sunday morning, “please check to see if your flight has been cancelled. Do not come to the airport if it has”. The information section on BA.com is still down!! Only on BA!

esselle
    Participant

Did somebody in the corporate comms team suggest he should wear a hiviz in the middle of a call centre? Is it supposed to make him look more hands on? Dear me…..

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 226 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls