British Airways Global System Outage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 226 total)

• openfly
    Participant

LuganoPirate
    Participant

With that loss, I think Cruz will be flying away sooner rather than later..

747foreverforus
    Participant

[quote quote=809649] @rferguson +1

[/quote]

At least this time he is not wearing his hi-viz vest, someone must have told him he looked a complete a**e, which of course he is!

747foreverforus
    Participant

[quote quote=809650]With that loss, I think Cruz will be flying away sooner rather than later..

[/quote]

Unlike many of his customers!

esselle
    Participant

I think a hiviz, a big bunch of keys and a walkie talkie would make me feel important, so I guess Cruz had that in mind.

When Perrier and British Midland found themselves in crisis, it is said that the prompt, clear and visible interventions of the CEOs is what rescued their reputations.

Cruz has to shoulder the blame for this, but Walsh is equally culpable as he is steering the agenda and sees recusing cost as a key driver of TSR.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

I don’t understand “power outage”. It is pretty meaningless, and it is interesting that BA hasn’t elaborated at all. But ultimately that doesn’t matter – the overriding issue is that any company that is as dependent on IT as BA, and that has no backup or contingency plan at all, is surely not fit for purpose.

How does BA keep its license to fly after this fiasco? On safety grounds alone one would be very reluctant to allow it to put planes back into the air – there is literally no saying what might happen to them.

One wonders if there is a chance that this is actually industrial sabotage. Plenty of BA staff are not very happy with their employer just now.

747foreverforus
    Participant

[quote quote=809653]I think a hiviz, a big bunch of keys and a walkie talkie would make me feel important, so I guess Cruz had that in mind.

When Perrier and British Midland found themselves in crisis, it is said that the prompt, clear and visible interventions of the CEOs is what rescued their reputations.

Cruz has to shoulder the blame for this, but Walsh is equally culpable as he is steering the agenda and sees recusing cost as a key driver of TSR.

[/quote]
    Sadly The BA CEO has not shown a visible intervention, BBC news has just reported that BA has refused all interviews, all he has done has has released a statement in which he cannot be questioned, its time both he and Walsh leave the airline, the sooner the better.

capetonianm
    Participant

I wouldn’t put Cruz in charge of a paella stand. His track record of failure speaks for itself.

Edski777
    Participant

To blame Cruz for this is nonsense. Of course, he never wanted this to happen. But Murphy travels on BA as well.
    Would BA be better off without outsourcing: maybe, maybe not. This can happen anywhere. Technology fails sometimes and we don’t rely on it any more, we trust it to take over. Management can be blamed for not having a proper and tested contingency plan.
    Would a British manager have handled it better? Probably not. Any director in Cruz’s position would get a mandate from the board and is most likely to be instructed to improve the shareholder value. IT outsourcing to a low cost country would be one of the obvious and widely accepted solutions to meet his challenges.

The real solution: steer away from the shareholder “greed is good” culture. For passengers: pay just a tiny bit more to prevent airlines from working in such a lean financial environment that they are forced to cut cost to the extreme. In the end we, the passengers, will be paying the price anyway. EU 261 based compensation or not, no one will in the end be happy about what happened last weekend.

A lot of airline directors are on their knees praying this won’t happen to them some day.

capetonianm
    Participant

Not to blame Cruz for this is nonsense. He has the ultimate responsibility to ensure that each component of his business is fit for purpose, and he should have a team of people constantly monitoring this.

capetonianm
    Participant

The missive he sent to all staff was published this morning.

It looks like something a school football team manager might have sent to a bunch of 14 year olds. Totally lacking gravitas, substance, direction, or coherence. Just starting it with : “Guys” says it all. Pathetic.

esselle
    Participant

Guys? Guys?

FFS. Pound to a penny this becomes the standard greeting for BA pax in F in the near future.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I have just read the Email sent to BA employees by CruzControl – it would be ‘laugh out loud funny’ if it were not such an appalling piece of communication..

Seriously, I don’t think I have ever read such a divisive piece of garbage in all my working days (maybe I’ve led a sheltered life)…. I can’t believe this has been penned by the CEO of a huge corporation let alone a CEO who needs everyone pulling together right now.

If I had received that memo this morning, I know exactly what my response would have been.

Great work Mr Cruz, inspired leadership – rally call to the troops, pull together, get everyone behind you all the way – or not!

This was your responsibility not the responsibility of your troops – that’s why you are paid the big ones.

It’s time for you to go.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Is it this one?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 226 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls