BA Cut crew on Long Haul flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)

• RoadKing
    Participant

Expat_Consultant:

I have probably expressed myself a bit poorly. When I was talking about us pax making a choice, also mentioning the relatively high salary that used to be in SK anyway. What I was pointing at, was that pax no longer saw the need to support high wages in the industry.

In my opinion, paying a pilot £160′ a year for “driving an advanced bus” just don’t make sense.

I don’t know anything about the expenses of the aircrafts, but I reason that when Ryanair and equals are able to provide me a ticktet for a 45 minutes flight comparable to being on a bus on the ground, it is inevitable that the aircraft cost is not what is making the flag carrier demand a ticket price ten fold that.

My point stand, I don’t see why I as a passenger should bleed to ensure a pay that is entirely out of synch with the market.

In short, yes, I mean the FA’s, the pilot’s, have to reason that they no longer work in a luxury business. That is how it is.

I pity the staff, no question. But tell me, what are their options? Be unemployed, or contribute to make their company competitive?

Whether management is going along and cut their salary or not is really not an interesting question, because their pay doesn’t count that much compared to the volume.

Fact is, pax has chosen, those in the business have to go along, or lose.

Expat_Consultant
    Participant

Road King

Thanks for the clarification.

I agree 100% with your view.

MarcusUK
    Participant

To clarify,…
    I trained in the Mental Health /Psychiatry field in London, & was Promoted to Director at 26yrs in Sydney Australia.
    Since that time, I have been Chairman of a Board of trustees for 2 National Charities, Corporate Director for a private Health care Company, & advise The International Governments on issues in my speciality.

I established my own Company that has Consultancies both here & in Australia, so in the Commercial sector, Voluntary sector (The Churches are corporations, Huge in Australia), Local Government sector, And i have not reached 45yrs yet!

So i have the experience of leadership & Directorship in my profession & in Business, & with an International, & commercial in the UK in the UK & Australia,Voluntary , & local Government sector.

I arrange my own travel…fly 30+ EU flights a year, several trips down to Oz, Asia, Middle East, & ZA, so at easly 60+. I rarely flyw west from the UK,. . I have now flown to 55 countries, on 45 different airlines. Clearly i support & use the ones who have lead to good experiences & been consistent with service, over a 20 yr period.

I did indeed fly BA for several years, but on principle, when one of their crew strikes were on- morale was so low,, then the No food fiasco, the reduction & changes in the FF program, & pulling of EU services when all other Airlines were running, BA tents outside T4 – again, i decided not again. On day i was told to join the tents with 2,000 others, the next walking past to get my KLM flight, who ran all EU services, when BA suspended them for 8 days.

I hope that clarifies my perception, experience, & business Base.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls