BA Cut crew on Long Haul flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

• Anonymous

MarcusUK
    Participant

“British Airways intensified its dispute with unions over cabin crew working practices yesterday by announcing plans to push through changes on long-haul flights without union agreement.

The embattled airline, which has been in talks with unions since the start of the year over changes to the pay and conditions of cabin crew, said that, from the end of next month, the number of crew on its Boeing 747 flights out of Heathrow would be cut from 15 to 14.

To ensure that service levels do not suffer, each flight’s customer services director (CSD), the most senior member of the cabin crew, will start to serve passengers. At present, CSDs have a managerial role and do not serve passengers.

British Airways is not profitable and we expect to record a significant loss for the second consecutive year — the first time that has happened in our history.”

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article6863842.ece

SOLITAIREPLATINUM
    Participant

Hi to all,

it is really very sad to see how short sighted the current management team of BA is.

Instead of working WITH their staff, they are working AGAINST them.
    The front line staff are those that we as Pax are mostly encountering- so their attitudes and their feelings for their employer are of utmost importance.

I know that BA’s staff wages are said to be some of the highest in the industry, but I am sure that there are other ways to save money than to go behind their back. In the end it is also their own interest that BA survives and they keep their jobs.

It is always the worst way in a customer service field, when the customer starts to FEEL that the company is trying to cut back. If soon Pax start to feel that service levels are deteriorating they are even less likely to fly on BA.

Given all the recent decisions e.g. charging for advance seat assignment and reducing in-flight meals etc. I have very little hope that BA will come out of this current crisis intact.

As management you have to create an incentive for a customer to choose your company, and not give them tons of reasons why they shouldn’t give their business to you.

BA needs to seriously re-think their current approach or it will soon be out of business, I am afraid.

VintageKrug
    Participant

What is not mentioned is that BA has one of the most highly unionised workforces in the UK.

BA’s employee T&Cs are some of the most favourable in the UK aviation industry.

Though some modest concessions have been made, unions have really failed to grasp the seriousness of the situation; this hampers BA’s ability to make the cuts it needs to make.

Willie must be doing something right, as the share price continues its broadly rising trend over the past six months:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=BAY.L#symbol=BAY.L;range=6m

Ultimately it is the share price which the management team are responsible for, and this is what they will be judged on at the end of the year.

excessbaggage
    Participant

But the problem is Vintage – the public couldn’t care less about the share price, and ultimately they’re the ones buying tickets.

SOLITAIREPLATINUM
    Participant

With all due respect VK, in my opinion management is not only responsible for the stock value, but they are responsible to run a company well, for the benefit of all.

This kind of thinking “only profit matters and thus justifies all means” got us into this financial mess with its far reaching impacts into all areas of our lives.

Managements have the responsibility to act in the best interest of the company AND its employees. Without happy motivated employees, there is no good company.

We should have learned this by now….

Airpocket
    Participant

The smart investors/stock pickers will know exactly when to dump BA’s rather inflated stock.What VK fails to mention is that BA’s bonds have a “junk” rating, which pretty much says it all really.

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

Yes, that is right ! We are in the first place as paying pax and not shareholders of BA.

I just want to point out another thread: BA–how to survive ? which this point of job slashing was one of the issues commented by most of the users as well as the management’s performance which is bad. So this news article and most of your comments only convey what has been said and predicted before–it will be very gloomy for BA.

I personally think that demotioning the CSD back to a normal F/A will not give him the boost to give his/her best to accomodate the pax on board. He/she will be more indifferent towards this–unless this has already occurred–for whatever reason.

Which employee will be motivated or feel bonded with BA–after such issues and decisions.

VK–really with all due respect–I think you miss the point here !! It seems insensitive to argue about BA shareholder values–while British labourers are fighting for their existence and their values as loyal work forces for BA.

cityprofessional
    Participant

I can think of a way to cut cabin crew costs in half, still pay them a premium over Virgin Atlantic, and maintain crew numbers on 747s…

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article6466748.ece

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hi all,

I wonder what will happen to the value of the stock if the cabin crew go on strike and BA’s premium pax numbers fall further due to some of the decisions that the management have made that are going to affect the levels of service to the point that many of BA’s customers, including some of their most loyal ones, decide that enough is enough and that it is time to vote with their feet and fly with other carriers?

I have to say that I agree with the comments of some of the other contributors, the share price should not be the only concern of the management. Paramount must surely be to encourage as many premium pax as possible to fly with BA and to keep them flying on BA?
    Some recent decisions seem to suggeat that they may have lost sight of this aim!

SOLITAIREPLATINUM
    Participant

Very well put Jonathan.
    Exactly what I meant to say.

Let’s hope BA’s management gets the message SOON!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Well he is here in the Concorde Room right now.

Perhaps I will ask him what he thinks….

Hess963
    Participant

VK–who are you referring to..??
    Alan Titchmarsh, Jeremy Clarkson who….??
    This is not “guessing time”–please stay sincere..!!

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

VK,

Hess is right, rather than being flipant and saying that a mystery person is in ‘ The Concord Room’ with you and you might ask him what he thinks, why not just say who it was and that you asked him his opinion.

You could then share that opinion with us and perhaps we might better undrstand the logic behind some of the decisions that we are questioning.

Given this thread and your comment it is fair to assume, unless you were indeed just being flipant, that it was a senior BA Director you were refering to if not the top man himself.

What a pity if such an opportunity presented itself and you did not take advantage of it to help us all and possibly BA at the same time!

MarcusUK
    Participant

As a Director in my profession since i was 26, I have never heard such utter ill informed, blatentley ignorant, uneducated rubbish about the responsibilities of Senior management or Directors of Companies, or Leadership in any form, as from VK! Not surprising though…it falls in his pattern.

If their is a fundamental about good management or organisational development, it is that you look after yr organisations teams. ANY business, or service worldwide, seeks to boost morale, keep ideas flowing, energy within the Company. Ultimately, this is what shows through at operational level, your customer or client base. The Airline industry is not a factory, it relies on human behaviour. Outcomes are measured in an emotional way by both staff & customers.

I have also been a Chairman & trustee, where desperately needed work comes from people relying on giving to benefit others, for nothing. Lives are changed through motivation & good will, as business is created & energised. This energy sparks productivity, like in the highly successful Virgin brands in every aspect.

The very best Airlines in the world, (BA now NOT being one of them), have highly dedicated motivated crew, yes even Virgin Atlantic, on poor pay but looked after n well motivated. SQ MH, EY EK…
    These are the airlines that have reputations for excellence in service, people leave feeling good.
    KLM & LH staff are very proud to work for their Company & it shows in their attitude their demeanor, & very ethical but highly successful Airlines.

The phillosophy of the Company, & its Ethical management ability not its mere share price, is what will be & is, clear to customers of airlines, clearly more so with BA Now.
    That is why people are ditching them in droves, staff moral is utterly flat, & it has become a joke in Airline terms today.
    What short sighted, 20 yr behind the times patronising rubbish!

BA has a higher pension deficit Still, than its overall share value…if that is how it wants to be judged!

The semi low cost model now isclearly implemented, fundamentally damaging. Desperate PR attempts that are weak & pathetic fooling no one a with snobbish LCY service, BA is firmly on the road to complete decline. NO other Airline in the world has such bad press, all self created.

Treating the customers and the staff teams at BA with complete contempt, arrogance, & inadequate unskilled leadership, Is nothing more than a business suicide.
    BA is in ITU on life support at the moment – maybe its better is the machine is switched off!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls