BA Cabin Crew Strike – Consolidated Thread

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 500 total)

• Eastbourneguy
    Participant

The allowances are paid Tax Free as well

austline
    Participant

I am booked QF MEL/ LHR 20 Jan and connecting down to Abuja on BA on the 21st, returning LOS/LHR/YVR all on BA 27th Jan. Does anyone know the current status of this dispute and will they proceed with further industrial action in the New Year? Prefer to use BA down to Nigeria but really worried about getting stuck in the middle of a dispute. I have a back up J seat to Los on EK, have to ticket on EK by the 12th . QF/BA is J class RTW ticketing can be done up to the 18th.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hi Austline,

as far as I am aware from speaking to friends of mine at BA, the union still intends to pursue a possible strike. In order to do so they need to reballot all their members. This takes, I believe at least two weeks so if they were to ballot their members at the beginning of January when we are all back from the festive break then they could have a result by the 17th or 18th of January after which they must give at least 7 days notice to BA of their intention to strike. That would mean that the earliest strike action could commence around the 25th or 26th of January which means you could be affected on the 27th.

The current view seems to be that there is likely to be some attempt at a negotiated settlement in the new year and so the likeliehood is that there is unlikely to be a strike before February if at all.

I hope that is of some help to you although please do not finalise your plans on the above as it is only what I have been able to find out through friends.

Perhaps some other contributors may have better information than I do, but whatever you decide I hope yopu have an excellent trip.

Meery Xmas and Happy newe year to all!!!”

Safe travels,

Jonathan

austline
    Participant

Hi Jonathan, Thnaks very much It certainly does help.
    have a safe and Merry Christmas.

GTR_Skyline
    Participant

A great conclusion to this thread…..we should all be thankful for the simple things in life we have.

At the end of the day, we all work hard for the bills we have to pay.

This emotive thread highlights a number of areas where we all share emotion and passion for what we do and what we believe in….my final parting comment for 2009 is that I hope as a service industry we all continue to deliver what our customers expect and in some areas we exceed in delivery in what we do.

Merry Christmas and a Happy 2010 to you all.

GTR_Skyline

JohnnyMurch
    Participant

Very disappointed in the way that the British Airways Cabin Crew have behaved when British Airways is trying to save its self from what appears to almost be definite bankruptcy. They need to be allowed to make the same sort of cutbacks as bmi did at the end of November. Allowing them to concentrate on profitable routes such as flights to belfast and cut out the bad ones like flights to tel aviv..

Bullfrog
    Participant

Regrettably any strike by BA staff will only add another nail, or quite a few more to a possible coffin.

I have every sympathy with staff who are facing cuts to their take home pay.

The current staff costs at BA need to be trimmed. The airline’s revenue is falling due to less people traveling & increased competition. Profits are needed so that aging aircraft can be replaced.

If it is true that BA staff earn greater salaries due to ‘out of date’ work practices & the fact that the business model needs significant overhaul, then BA staff should accept these changes or accept the consequences when BA declares bankruptcy.

JohnnyMurch
    Participant

I completely agree with you.

Lin–ny
    Participant

I was in the Arrival Lounge on new year’s eve. In come an air stewardess, and she starts helping herself to newspaper and magazines. I am not surprise that BA need to cut cost because the BA staff are abusing the system!

GTR_Skyline
    Participant

And then some…pretty much sums up their arrogant behaviour.

Wildgoose
    Participant

While I don’t think there is anything wrong with helping oneself to newspapers that are lying around, I do theink it is utterly heinous that BA Club Class help themselves to canapes in the galley while depriving passengers of them. Please see a recent posting on SKYTRAX alluding to this appalling behaviour from BA cabin crew.

austline
    Participant

Does anyone have an update on the BA cabin crew industrial situation. Have been watching BBC news etc but nothingis forthcoming.Concerned that I may get stuck in Lagos!

GTR_Skyline
    Participant

Unions will be re-balloting this month…so earliest strikes could take place would be end of Jan/early Feb

austline
    Participant

Thanks that’s a relief will XXX EK

omanpat
    Participant

I have seen it too. No big deal but not at all nice to see.!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 500 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls