BA Cabin Crew Strike – Consolidated Thread

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 500 total)

• Senator
    Participant

Dutchyankee,

In regards to CO, I have been on their service in BusinessFirst on the 757-200s from ARN to EWR a few times. While the seats are old (cradle) I really enjoy the entertainment system and the F&B service. The US Domestic First service on CO is vastly better than UA or US…

Staff is attentive, but chatty… There are certain crew members that only fly ex.ARN, ex.OSL, ex.CPH, and ex.HAM as they find the Scandinavians easy to deal with in both classes.. I have met the same crew ex.ARN.

Overall, I think you will enjoy it. The seat could be the issue. However, I’ll take a good cradle seat any day over the lie-flat slide down seats of some airlines.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi Senator, thanks for that. I have read some very good comments on CO, and I know they have won awards, so I am actually looking forward to it (try something new). I certainly agree about lie-flat style seats where you end up sliding, or the footrest is too short for my 6,3 height. Very glad to hear about your service experiences with them. I think I am on a 767-400, we are blocked in 1 A and B both exit BRU and EWR (from EWR it is a 737-900). I also heard that like what you said their domestic F is better than all the others, so much happier now with my choice, thanks for the info.

Senator
    Participant

Hi again,

One note… The 767-400 does not have AVOD, only the 777-200 and 757-200. It could be that your 737-900 will have Direct TV onboard.

I am on a CO 757-200 from SJU to EWR in Jan myself in BusinessFirst.

By the way, I believe LH has FRA-MCO as well. Perhaps this is another alternative in the future.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

One extra bit of news

BA CityFlyer to operate LCY schedule

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/ba-cityflyer-to-operate-lcy-schedule

dutchyankee
    Participant

Thanks again Senator. I was aware of LH to MCO as I often have seen their A340-600 on the gate next to Virgin and BA when I am departing MCO, but to be honest I have always avoided LH in deference to BA. Might be worth a try though as I understand they do have First on the route which BA hasn’t had for over three years (change from 747 to 777).

croster
    Participant

I’m booked to fly from Gatwick to Tampa on the 23rd returning the 2nd. I’ve just been told by BA that my flight is not affected by the strike and I cannot make any change to my flight; no reason given (and nothing in writing) other than its because the flight leaves from Gatwick. I understand that the “crewing” issues which are at the heart of the strike are moot with respect to Gatwick flights as flights leaving from Gatwick already fly with one less crew member. But, does this mean that Gatwick crews in general are not striking; or are not part of the Unite Union? If anyone has any insight it would be appreciated.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi Croster, I was on my regular LGW-MCO trip about three weeks ago, and when taliking to one of the Flight Attendants regarding the possibility of the strike he said he wasn’t going to strike, and that the vast majority of the Gatwick based crews were against the strike. This is of course only one member I spoke to, but it seemed as if the Gatwick Crews would be less likely to participate. None-the-less, not willing to run that chance during the hoilday season, I cancelled my tickets for this coming Sunday with a return during the strike as I want to be certain to have a seat. You should, however, be allowed to change your booking and BA should be willing to assist you, especially as they can not guarantee any flights during the strike period.

croster
    Participant

Thanks Dutchyankee. Its interesting. I was told by BA that I could NOT change my flight contrary to what BA has stated on their website (anyone see any carve out for Gatwick flights?). Well, I bought fully refundable back ups on CO in case my BA flight gets cancelled. Thanks for the info!

VintageKrug
    Participant

LGW crews are covered by the Gatwick Agreement which was negotiated between Unite and BA Management some years ago, I believe; this incorporates many (though not all) of the modest crewing changes and working practices which have been brought in from mid-November at LHR, and these are the very same changes which Unite claim are the reason for the strike.

So, bizarrely , they seem to be striking over changes they themselves have negotiated in another part of the organisation.

While I would imagine there will be some impact at LGW, it is more likely to be less impact than will be the case at LHR.

LCY crews also seem to be operating normally during the strike, which suggests there is already sign of this 12 day nonsense cracking.

A real waste, as by then the Union will have done all the damage to BA’s reputation, and will not achieve whatever it is (that is unclear) they are setting out to achieve for their members.

And Unite has caused untold distress to many customers planning their annual trip home.

I would imagine it won’t be long before Unite/BASSA realise the own-goal they have caused both to their members and the public by planning such an extensive Industrial Action over the Christmas period.

The_Flying_Nurse
    Participant

I have only just joined as a member and I agree with FrequentTraveller’s comments about the threads degenerating into a slanging match. Some members appear to have issues with each other and seem to take comments very personally. Helpful advice from personal experiences would be much more constructive, although some of the comments are quite witty!

I think everyone is agreed that the forthcoming strike action will be disastrous for everyone concerned; passengers, crew, management and the airline as a whole.

Many years ago I flew as Cabin Crew for Virgin Atlantic and now repatriate sick UK nationals from worldwide destinations and have done this for over 22 years.

BA crew were always teasing us (as VS crew) about our poor wages and how Virgin crew worked so hard compared to them. Things have improved at VS for crew considerably but as a passenger I would be extremely reluctant to use them for my travel plans.

If using a scheduled carrier, my first choice would always be BA as their medical clearance department are excellent, and I always feel safe with them, especially when accompanying a patient.

As a BA Gold card holder and previous VS crew member I can see both sides of the argument. However, BA crew have had it too good for too long with regard to their terms and conditions, especially their allowances ex LHR which for long haul are very generous.

The aviation industry changed drastically after 9/11 and will probably sadly never be the same again, and there have to be drastic changes for the airline to survive. I think BA caused itself problems previously in so much as it had a very elitist and somewhat colonial attitude, ie it used to fly to destinations that were non profitable but felt it had to because it was the British national carrier. Like many airlines already have done, I think they should scrap First either completely or on the majority of its routes. Getting rid of the pointless washbags they give out in First and Club World and simply having a stock of toiletries on board might also save some cash. I realise these are only small changes but together with changes to terms and conditions (primarily financial ones), and a reduction of crew members on board the aircraft to a safe level, they may make a difference.

I know many BA crew as friends but i do think they are being a bit precious about the changes the airline has to make. I also work part-time in an NHS Intensive care Unit where we have seen drastic changes in the way we work, but we have to just get on with it as the patient’s would probably suffer if we didn’t.

In the current financial climate many of us have had no choice but to make changes to the way we work and to our lifestyles so hopefully BA crew will get real and wake up to the fact that the intended strike action could cost them their jobs in the end.

Update: BA has released the following statement, saying it is seeking an injunction to prevent the strike going ahead, citing “irregularities in the union’s strike ballot”.

——————————————

British Airways is commencing legal action in an attempt to protect customers from the massive stress and disruption threatened by Unite’s decision to call a 12-day strike from December 22.

The airline has today written to Unite, highlighting irregularities in the union’s strike ballot, which the airline believes renders the ballot invalid.

The airline called on Unite to call off the industrial action by 2pm today. The union has not done so and British Airways is now seeking an injunction to prevent the strike going ahead.

Today’s letter was the third sent to Unite, pointing out the balloting flaws, since last Friday. The union did not reply to the first two letters.

As a back-up to the legal action, British Airways managers have been establishing which cabin crew might wish to work normally during the strike period.

Willie Walsh, British Airways chief executive, said: “We are absolutely determined to do whatever we can to protect our customers from this appalling, unjustified decision from Unite.

“We do not want to see a million Christmases ruined.

“Unite was told about the problems with its ballot on Friday. Yet it cynically went ahead with an extreme, highly publicised threat to our customers and our business in the knowledge that it might not be able to carry it out.

“We remain available for talks with Unite at any time without preconditions.”

pat_travels
    Participant

Credit to the guys at the BA call centre in Manchester.
    A call totaling 11 minutes enabled me to change 5 long haul flights originally scheduled for the strike period.
    A professional and calm vibe came across in what must surely be a desperately busy office!

Update: Virgin has just released a statement saying it will put larger aircraft on “key routes” during the planned strike period:

———————————

VIRGIN ATLANTIC TO PUT BIGGER AIRCRAFT ONTO KEY ROUTES TO HELP PASSENGERS STRANDED BY BA’S INDUSTRIAL ACTION

– Around 1600 extra seats will be available over the busy Christmas period

Virgin Atlantic has taken the decision to put larger aircraft on key routes over the 12 days of industrial action which is planned by BA cabin crew in order to be able to carry stranded passengers. Virgin Atlantic has identified a number of flights on routes such as New York (Newark), Boston, Washington and Delhi where it is feasible to operate the flights with larger aircraft.

These selected flights will now be operated by an Airbus A340-600 rather than an A340-300 thereby providing 68 extra seats per flight. The extra seats will go on sale over the next 24 hours.

Talking earlier today about the industrial action planned by BA cabin crew, Sir Richard Branson said,

”It is a nightmare for passengers, and you have to feel for them at Christmas time. Any strike would obviously be extremely damaging to everybody – the company, employees and most importantly the travelling public. “

Passengers wishing to book flights should log onto http://www.virginatlantic.com

VintageKrug
    Participant

Hmm.

1600 Virgin Atlantic seats into 1 million BA seats snatched by the union from paying passengers goes how many times?

I am off to purchase a chocolate Tea Pot.

*rollseyes* at the VS spin

JordanD
    Participant

Actually VK, there’s no spin in that one: Virgin have just said that they will increase capacity where they can. Even SRB doesn’t knife BA – he even says how “damaging” it will be to the company.

SRB is savvy enough to know not to slag the unions, because what goes around, comes around.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 500 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls