BA Cabin Crew Strike – Consolidated Thread

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 500 total)

• CallMeIshmael
    Participant

BA’s leadership is corrupt and incompetent, not stupid, and it would be stupid for it to have opened multiple dispute fronts at the same time. Am sure BALPA’s time will come as there are a plethora of unemployed US pilots who would work for half of the current BA rate.

You are right that there have been occasions when BASSA has refused to negotiate with the BA eg when BA broke long standing agreements. Likewise there have been times when BA have refused to negotiate with BASSA. Hey Krug…. why pitch half a story when the full facts are better… or is that being manipulative… shock horror a BA mouthpiece being manipulative?

Am I surprised?… no.
    Keep paddling and pedalling BA’s mis information, I guess if you repeat it enough times you’ll get to believe it – though, and I don’t mean to shatter your illusions, I’m afraid it doesn’t make it true. Sorry.

VintageKrug
    Participant

BA has a recent, proven track record of successful Union negotiation.

BASSA does not, and as it has refused to negotiate with BA for over a year now.

BASSA is so marginalised has been excluded by its own parent Union, Unite, from its own internal negotiations.

NTarrant
    Participant

“Keep paddling and pedalling BA’s mis information, I guess if you repeat it enough times you’ll get to believe it – though, and I don’t mean to shatter your illusions, I’m afraid it doesn’t make it true.” Why do you keep trying convince yourself.

Why also do people like you always have to say that a management/leadership is “corrupt” because you don’t agree with them?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Indeed – it doesn’t take me to set out out what has been achieved by BASSA. Tony Woodley – the General Secretary of Unite – sets this out very clearly himself:

Interesting interview with Tony Woodley, starts at 09:36:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00w78gt/PM_29_11_2010/

– “original dispute well since over”

– “5,500-6,000 who lost travel” = an admission that the number who took industrial action was nowhere near the 7,000 repeatedly claimed by Duncan Holley/BASSA. BA still claims it was 4,500 at most, and this wooly approach to key statistics would back that claim up.

– 22 days of strike action “achiev[ed] nothing in my view”

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Hi NTarrant – guess BA’s record of industry leading fines for corrupt practices across the world doesn’t make it corrupt. As it is BA of course they have the right to put the squeeze on fuel supply companies so they won’t supply the upcoming competition; they have the right to create price fixing cartels for cargo and tickets; they can influence financial institutions to restrict cash flow to smaller UK carriers etc etc Am glad though that the courts have deemed it corrupt and hit BA with fines which far exceed the cost of the current IA.
    Please enlighten me as to whether there is an airline who has been fined more across the globe than BA?
    Keep on saying BA is innocent and you may end up believing it…

Altogether now… BA has every right to act corruptly, bully intimidate and victimise its staff, and competition because it can and it is big and so powerful.

Google “BA fined” for the 500+ references.

NTarrant
    Participant

There are flaws in your arguments.
    Which supply company was “squeezed”?
    You can only fix prices if two or more companies agree to do that. The other parties are just as guilty and corrupt as BA in this, the difference is they got scared and blew the whistle.
    What evidence do you have that they have restricted cash flow to smaller UK airlines and who?

How does it corruptly, bully intimidate and victimise its staff? I do think you are clutching at straws

Alasdair
    Participant

“Bullying, Intimidating and Victimising its staff.” May I just remind you of the THREAT BA made to all crew that their staff travel would be withdrawn if they participated in LEGAL industrial action. I certainly consider consider this a form of all of those, not to mention harassment.

How much stress and pressure do you think all commuting staff and those who relied on the travel agreement felt in regard to the thought of having this revoked? Not to mention thousands of others who had come to rely on it on other forms over their years of service to the airline.

The sly, but successful tactic did well to lure thousands to work but dare I say many did it not for the benefit of the company but for self-preservation and selfish reasons.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

CallMeIshmael: It is right for the authority to fine airlines colluded to price-fixing on cargo rates or ticket prices and many airlines were fined last November by the European Commision which included my home grown airline Cathay Pacific and neighbouring Singapore Air.
    It was not the first time I’ve heard such news and it will not be the last!

But Air France was fined the most, to be followed by KLM and BA came the third. It is common in the business world to “co-ordinate” the charges between companies in certain sectors. I don’t endorse such a cartel like practices but it is the reality of business life.

But I don’t see any connection you are relating to these fines to the CC work conditions negotiation!!!!!

I don’t not side with either party but curious to understand the background of this impasse.

Just want to use a reliable air transport service without constant threat of a strike!

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Hi FlyingChinaman – I asked to be enlightened as to whether anyone knew of an airline who had been fined more in total. BA’s corrput leadership seams to put it close to the centre of most corrupt practices across the globle and has been fined many many times for differing reasons accordingly.
    This arrogant corrupt bullying leadership culture believing that the end justifyies the means has now seeped into its IR behaviours. Power corrupts.
    Take a look at http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/mar/17/ba-strike-plan-gregor-gall for an independent IR expert professors view.
    Read Martin Gregory’s “Dirty Tricks” to get an understanding BA’s enduring morals.
    Google BA fines or British Airways corruption
    I’ll let Ntarrant clutch at the reeds as he floats with Krug down the Egyptian river.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Note absolutely no reference whatsoever to the original reason for the strike action.

Can anyone enlighten us as to what the reason for all this was?

NTarrant
    Participant

I notice Callmeishmael that you have omitted to answer my questions. I am I am sure VK will back me here, that there was another poster who did the same thing, fire off something and then ignore the questions.

We won’t be clutching at reeds as we float down the Nile, we will take a toast to our BA flight from LGW. Oh happy days eh VK, I’m looking forward to it already.

VintageKrug
    Participant

And, rather splendidly, they are serving 1999 Tattinger Comtes in F for this month only.

Mrs Tarrant will have something to look forward to!

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

I guess giving you the references for you to read NTarrant are not enough – horse and water methinks – or horse and champagne. Bye for now there is around 4 inches of snow here around Gatwick so drive safely.

Hope you will find time to continue your cruise down the Egyptian river together- read Martin Gregory’s book en route for enlightenment.

Krug – as you appear better read polymath than NTarrant could you please enlighten me – has there been an airline who has been fined more than BA for corrupt practices across the world; lost more than BA in fuel hedging; embarrassed a nation more – than BA with the T5 debacle; had such an abysmal IR and IA record than BA? Had books published about its “Dirty Tricks” (surely if they were lies BA would have sued and the book withdrawn)

Enjoy the river.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Enjoy your evening, and don’t forget to fill out your questionnaire 😉

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Drop in and see me – Jubilee House – north Terminal. Best

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 500 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls