BA and their old banger 747-400s

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 137 total)

• BigDog.
    Participant

Thanks for sharing Honest Crew, one senses a deep pride for your role and yet despair at the low standards of the hard product which appear more the norm.

It bemuses me that BA spends £X0,000s on cosmetic, irrelevancies such as renaming pursers (as passengers don’t understand what a purser is nowadays) when basic fixtures and fittings need repair. The priorities are all wrong.

andystock
    Participant

BA have 39 wide body aircraft on order not inc options but there have 55 of the old birds (747).

Bucksnet
    Participant

The Reuters article states 12 A380s and 42 Dreamliners, plus 18 A350s recently ordered. 12+42+18=72.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“Thanks for sharing Honest Crew, one senses a deep pride for your role and yet despair at the low standards of the hard product which appear more the norm.”

+1

Edited to add that I was echoing Big Dog’s earlier post.

lloydah
    Participant

Took my first United flight this week – LHR to IAD – in Global First. Was a bit doubtful about it after reading several anti posts but it was cheaper than BA and better schedule for me. It was fantastic. Seats are comfortable, clean, they all work. Acres of space and stowage room. The crew were superb. Every need catered for (well almost!) in a polite and friendly way. Food as good as any I’ve had on BA with service from the trolley for the dessert course.. AVOD and screen more than adequate. Only thing I could fault was lack of jimjams but wore my BA ones anyway. Will definitely book with them again after years of BA semi-commuting on this route.
    Have learned not to believe all the reviews but this flight just smacked them in the face
    edited to say there’s no charge for choosing seats either.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Honestcrew, may I echo DoS’s sentiments.

Andtsock, sorry to be pedantic, but according to BA’s site, they have 57, unless they’ve flogged a couple.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bafleet/public/en_gb

It’s actually rather an interesting page as is the link to engineering. . Also gleaned a fascinating fact, when running, the Airbus 320 engines generate enough power to provide electricity for a city of over 60,000 people. Wow!

Bucksnet
    Participant

BA have 57 747-400s but 5 are sitting in the desert/scrapped, so 52 in service.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi papillion. Just a quick one from the pub. If American have changed your flights you have a few options and we can try and get you back on aa100/101 again. Main thing is not to have accepted the changes just yet. Might take a call but will be worth it. Feel free to contact me and I can explain properly.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

That would explain it Bucksnet.

HonestCrew
    Participant

The pride in the job is still there, just getting harder and harder to feel it at BA right now. It is a shame but it’s peeling away faster than the wood laminate in the ‘good ol’ First’ cabin.

And your KW quote from July is correct Bucks. Not sure about the substance though. 8 A380’s in the fleet by the end of 2013 is the plan, leaving it a mighty task to take delivery of 18-20 or so Deathliners or 777-300’s or whatever Boeing can’t sell elsewhere by July.

If it happens…. I’ll pinch a Mixed Fleet crew hat… and eat it.

andystock
    Participant

So when will be old Birds be put out to pasture then?

Bucksnet
    Participant

Deathliners is a bit too harsh HC; no one has died yet.

There will only be 3 A380s by the end of 2013 not 8, so I can’t see how KW’s quote will come to pass.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Considering how long ‘new first’ has been around even if it is an enhanced business class product it is a disgrace that it is still not fully rolled out. LH have achieved wonders with the roll out of their new F product in particular on the 744s putting BA to shame. Nor did LH trump up the new service when they had one, yes one aircraft flying with the new seats. They simply showed it as the way forward and said it was coming.

Some companies act with integrity and then there is little Willie’s BA.

HonestCrew
    Participant

“There will only be 3 A380s by the end of 2013 not 8, so I can’t see how KW’s quote will come to pass.”

Our staff intranet didn’t inform us of the revised figure Bucks, cheers for the info! 🙂 We learn the negative announcements through other sources, such as here!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

HonestCrew, perhaps “NearDeathAirliner” would be more appropriate 😉 Don’t want to upset WW do we?

I’ll stick my neck out here, and say I’d much rather fly in a duct taped together 747 than a shiny new 787!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 137 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls