BA: 90 Years Of People & Planes

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 115 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just saw the ad on large screen TV. Brilliant. Gives me goose bumps. Who cares if they photoshopped another plane. None of the classic aircraft belonged to BA anyway, they were all borrowed. It’s the content and the message that counts.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I have to say whilst the BA advert is good it doesn’t want to make me fly them more.

My favourite adverts were The Face as that was when I just started travelling with work and it reminded me especially at Christmas of being reunited with family and friends as the face and world came together so something personal and memorable.

The other one I like is the guy on the overnight Club World flight that bounds straight into a meeting full of the joys of spring as that shows the product that I can expect to receive.

The Virgin registration guff did make me laugh as has this parody that I saw today.

http://schmike.tumblr.com/post/10595343712/to-fly-to-save

JordanD
    Participant

Saw the ad in the cinema yesterday afternoon – it was very impressive when on such a large scale; yes, we can talk about whether it is the right ad or whatever, but in terms of cinematography, it was very impressive.

Oh, and the female friend I saw the film with, commented that she wouldn’t expect to see female/ethnic minority pilots in the ad, because (her words) “to load an add with women or ethnic minorities is simply not right when the majority of pilots are white men”.

RichHI1
    Participant

You’ve probably seen this but a colleague sent it to me and for those who love the commercial and all things BA…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chjN5SerNeQ&feature=relmfu

HonestCrew
    Participant

JordanD’s friend is correct. To put in a lady pilot or someone from an ethnic minority would have been a classic ‘token’. People can harp on about Britain being a diverse culture etc but sometimes it just needs putting to one side.
    Don’t worry lefties, BA is one of the most prominent promoters of positive discrimination in the country. (Or ‘diversity’ as they like to call it.) Meeting quotas has been a priority for years, promoting crap people to make up the numbers has definitely happened within cabin crew, other departments with real office politics is rife with it. I’ll put my house on the next ad’s containing Indians, Africans, staff in wheelchairs, lesbian engineers, you name it.
    I’ve nothing against that, but that awful camp steward in ‘the making of the adverts’ clip has really let the side down.
    ‘Jobs for the boys’ strikes again!

New crest is quite nice though.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

I saw the ad for the first time last night, as it popped up in the commercial break of a UK TV show my wife had tuned in.

First reaction, it should be expanded and shown on Discovery channel, as it was an interesting piece of history and well produced.

It is telling that the ‘flagship’ of the ad was grounded 8 years ago.

Let’s see some innovation from BA, yes I got the point that you operated a Concorde fleet, but where is the innovation to make air travel easier/better?

How do I, as a business traveller, connect to the content of this ad? I don’t.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The Ad sets out DECADES of innovation from BA. Though you seem blind to it, innovation continues at BA in the face of restricted budgets and a vastly changed economic landscape.

What sort of innovations have you seen from other airlines which you would like BA to copy?

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I agree with DOS, Concorde seems to be the main feature of the ad. There’s nothing suggesting that things have moved on since then at all and in reality they haven’t. BA offer nothing that other airlines don’t do better these days and really their race is more to the bottom than the top.

The ad wouldn’t make me want to fly BA at all, there’s nothing concrete about service or the experience I might have, perhaps they don’t have any service and are worried too many people will see the experience and book elsewhere!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“The Ad sets out DECADES of innovation from BA. “

The British Empire had centuries of innovation, but like BA, those years are now in the past.

This advert features a lot of aircraft, made by third parties, so I don’t see what is innovative from the airline perspective, at least one other airline operated all the types in the video.

“Though you seem blind to it, innovation continues at BA in the face of restricted budgets and a vastly changed economic landscape.”

No am not blind, I have seen all the service enhancements, like the removal of anytime lounge access, the introduction of space saver seats into CE and of course hot towels introduced in CE, but wait a minute……. didn’t they used to have those?

“What sort of innovations have you seen from other airlines which you would like BA to copy?”

Copying isn’t really innovative, is it? The point of innovation is that one develops one’s own existing products and services to differentiate them from the competition.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

VK has wrong end of the stick. The market research to establish the basis of the ads identified Heritage as opposed to innovation as the most appropriate theme to attract custom.

One has to admit that the ad nails the Heritage angle.

Future ads will include the 20+ years experience of engineers; a baby born on board – getting a free trip for her 18th birthday. Heritage not innovation.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s heritage, but a heritage of innovation, opening up the planet to trade, commerce and leisure travel.

I’m not going, yet again, to list all the innovations BA has achieved in recent years.

So, rather than doing that, what realistic innovations would you like to see while maintaining the same price point?

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Something that makes me feel BA offers me better value than the others.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“One has to admit that the ad nails the Heritage angle.”

It certainly does, up on a par with The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

So VK please explain how the future ads which will include
    the 20+ years experience of engineers;
    a baby born on board 18 years ago – now having a free trip for her 18th birthday are innovative?

Heritage not innovation.

robsmith100
    Participant

On innovation wasnt BA the first to introduce the concept of a fully flat bed in both first and business class?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 115 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls