Are lounges worth it?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)

• Pierre
    Participant

Lounges are worth it..
    Checking mails or having a snack, it is a big advantage. I do not run after, but do not miss the opportunity if I have enough time to have a short break.
    Some of them can be really pleasant.

scott66
    Participant

JonHirsch,

Thank you for your update on the Air Canada arrivals lounge T3.

Lenalcs
    Participant

I’ve quickly gotten spoiled with the lounges in just a couple of months and find myself trying to find alternative airports when I’m flying into an airport with no lounges.
    I’m actually surprised there are so few airports with lounges in the US.

It’s not worth going earlier to my home airport just to use the lounge but since I have to check bags 1 hour prior to flight I can now spend that extra time in the lounge waiting for boarding time.

Have not used the Priority Pass lounges yet.

Tim2soza
    Participant

Massively worth it. I deliberately arrive super early, to allow for road traffic or train delays. Then it is wifi on, ipad out, phone on and straight into work. Sanctuary!

BA arrivals lounge excellent for breakfast (CW bacon rolls are vile) plus a shower and change into work clothes. .

KeaneJohn
    Participant

A lounge, especially with a flight delay is heavenly.

Some lounges are better than others… worse I think is the Serviceair lounge at Birmingham where the breakfast offering is crisps and biscuits. Best and favourite has to be Virgin Atlantic Club House at Heathrow T3, with BA Galleries at T5 the next favourite I think.

Alasdair
    Participant

Generally, no. Terraces BA T5 is a glorified canteen with plates and cups left everywhere… Champagne is not even freely available and must be requested (there is scant staff so finding someone to ask is always a problem). The Qatar lounges are interesting and generally worth making a detour for & the Swiss lounge in Zurich is a favourite also.
    But really, they are cold, lonely places with poorly stocked offerings.

handbag
    Participant

“MartynSinclair- 20/02/2012 14:52 GMT

Nigel, I would look at an Amex plat card £300.00 pa

Great value:

Priority Pass
    Travel insurance for family (newly amended) – but still one of the best on the market on the basis that nobody on this forum has managed to show anything better.

just 2 of the benefits.”

Unfortunately I was informed by AE, that the UK Platinum is going up to £450 from July and the deal where you could get it free next year if you spend over £18k, will no longer be available.

Shearer
    Participant

Lounges are worth it – and I think Priority Pass’s offering just has the edge over Airport Angels. There’s a few additional lounges with PP

JKL
    Participant

Out of interest – those of you who have Priority Pass, did you get it via Amex Platinum or have you paid for membership directly? Or would you pay for it if you didn’t have it from Amex?

Just curious as, with PP Prestige membership costing £259 (and Standard Plus £100 less if you don’t need so many visits) and a top-notch travel insurance policy about £60-70 (perhaps not quite as good as the Amex one, but good enough, I think; and given Amex’s new stipulation that the *entire* trip must be paid for on the card for cover to apply, perhaps theirs is not as rock-solid as one would like), I’m struggling to justify the increased Amex fee for next year – not sure the various hotel / car-hire Gold cards and other benefits make up the difference, for me.

Shearer
    Participant

Hi – I paid for Priority Pass “10 visits” card, with £15 for any additional visit. WIth that I experienced some amazing lounges.

If you put all your details in on Priority Pass website, but don’t actually buy it, you’ll get a letter a few days later with a discount code. I discovered this when, at the purchase stage, I added up my travel plans this year and realised I won’t need a Priority Pass.

I tend to drink the bar dry. Haha

JKL
    Participant

@NIRscot – many thanks, that’s good to know (on both counts! 😉

handbag
    Participant

I got my PP from Amex Platinum. You can can 2; one for yourself and the other for an additional Card holder. So if you would both use alot, it is worth £520. I do not however use it that much,

I will be one of the people who is not renewing my AM EX

MartynSinclair
    Participant

handbag – 08/07/2012 15:36 GMT

..its still teriffic value even at £450.00!

MarcusUK
    Participant

I also see the lounges as very valuable, a reward for my loyalty with an airline, regardless of travel class.
    I use economy in Europe, as with my Flying Blue / Skyteam Gold card i get all the perks apart from the light meal on board, as someone on a business fare does.

I always get to the airport in plenty of time, so use the lounge as my reward and relaxation. Often these are Worldwide / Intercontinental Lounges (eg Skyteam Lounge T4 LHR), with much better facilities than the usual European lounges..
    This includes KLM’s superb Crown Lounges for UK departures at Schiphol, for the Intercontinental’s.

It means i get a premium service even when flying economy, and of course the new “Skyteam priority” – Fast Track Immigration and security around the world now also, again even when flying economy.

So yes they mean extra luxury, quiet or productive time, good food, relaxation, and turn an air shuttle service, into a better flying experience. They simply add another component to the travel, leisure or business.

I would not pay for a card that specifically gives me lounge access, at several hundred £’s, only if it came as a perk as with some charge or credit cards. They do take a commission off your purchases after all…?

JKL
    Participant

@Martyn – I have to disagree, sorry 😉 At £300 it was a good deal, but the price increase plus changes to terms mean that, for me (for whom the main benefits were PP and travel insurance), it is no longer, sadly. Ah well.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls