Are lounges worth it?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)

• craigwatson
    Participant

Sorry Becky, but you are a PA and dont know about FFP’s? That sounds mighty strange.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

If my PA spent as much time as someone who claims to be a PA posting in this forum she would soon be able to do it in her own time from home.

The poster lacks credibility, to paraphrase she has an opinion on everything and knowledge about nothing.

CXDiamond
    Participant

The above post from Henkel Trocken is the most sensible comment I’ve read on the postings of BeckyBoop.

I do think it would be better to stop indulging this person who I continue to maintain is certainly not female or gentlemen do you all choose to flirt with the rather common and tarty posts as part of your own fantasies?

RichHI1
    Participant

C’mon let’s play nice. I do not care who any posters are I just value the plurality of opinion some educated, some dogmatic, some emotional. Let’s move on and get back on topic.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I use the lounges all the time. I like to arrive early for my flights so I can take it easy and relax. I’ll take my lunch / dinner there which means on a night flight I can go to sleep quickly.

I’ll use the free wifi to download the FT, Economist and any current magazines with the Zinio app so I’m all set with my reading materials for my flight.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Answering your other point Becky. The airline would not cut £500 from a ticket to compensate. It costs an airline £12 – £20 per pax depending on lounge, country, etc. In some cases less and in others a bit more.

Knocking £20 off a business ticket would make no real difference so I would still vote to keep them!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Best illustration of this I can give is to compare America (where by and large premium passengers don’t get free access to a lounge) and everywhere else – I used to pay for lounge access. I think that says it all, really. Traveling is frequently a bore, takes one away from home comforts and loved ones, disrupts the body clock, frequently involves eating meals at peculiar hours, often missing out on sleep, and a host of other inconveniences. In many countries, airports aren’t particularly easy to get to, and a lot of departure areas are frankly squalid, overcrowded, noisy and uncomfortable. Swap that for comfy seats, WiFi for those who want it, free drink and snacks (and sometimes proper decent food)? Who wouldn’t, if they can afford it and it is available at a reasonable price or, better, as a perk (either of the ticket or one’s own frequency of travel).

If I am going to an airport that I am not familiar with, I always research the available lounges before I travel (I get free Priority Pass through my credit card, plus as top-tier with CX I get to use any oneworld lounge when I am on a oneworld flight) and even carry terminal maps with me. If time permits I will cruise the different lounges to see which I like most (Qantas in Sydney, BA in Singapore, AA in Narita for example) for future reference. Probably sounds a bit sad, but frankly I don’t see why I shouldn’t make myself as comfortable as possible

Finally – I find the personal remarks directed at BeckyBoop offensive. This is an information-sharing forum, having someone ask questions is a large part of what it is all about, and just because you have information and think someone else SHOULD know it already is no reason to make unpleasant comments, let alone hurling insults. Shame on you…

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

CXDiamond: WE all have fantasies and I am the first to admit openly to the others!

Beckyboop flirtatious style adds a healthier balance to this forum which is predominantly male and rather conventional.

IN essence: Perfectly harmless and highly entertaining at times.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

FlyingChinaman, you were awake before me and so beat me to this reply to CXDiamond.

Yes, CX, I do choose to fantasise and flirt with who I think BB is. I’m also old enough and I like to think wise enough to realise she may be a “he” or worse, VK’s mother, even worse, my own mother, but there we are, until I know otherwise I’ll happily indulge my fantasies and risk the odd bruise from Mrs. LP. Well worth it!

Andy/Thailand
    Participant

Yes lounges are worth it just look a Dubai terminal 1 and 3 not enough seats down on the main floor, but the difference between some lounges are amazing look at Dubai again Emirates is good but use the ols lounge in terminal 1, Qatar lounge very good and star alliance lounge terrible

PatJordan
    Participant

Lounges are usually an oasis of calm in an otherwise busy airport.

Sometimes I have had a couple of hours to kill (both before flights and awaiting connections) and I certainly value the opportunity to relax with a coffee, snack or even a glass of something stronger!

There have been occasions when not flying on my usual airlines that I have happily forked out the entry fee to have a quiet spot.

Yes, in my opinion Lounges are certainly worth it, even when having to pay.

Pat

Lenalcs
    Participant

I’ve recently started using the lounges in the US and have been very surprised how busy they are. If ATL didn’t have lounges the airport terminal could not hold everyone. That being said. I joined because the past few years I experienced so many delays and cancellations and needed a place to chill and work. Of course, now that I have access my flights have been punctual. I don’t drink alcohol when traveling so that perk is wasted on me. I enjoy the breakfast in Delta lounge (oatmeal) and the afternoon carrots and biscoffs but the other stuff is also a waste. AA doesn’t have anything I enjoy for am or late flights. I can grab some coffee….I like having the plugs to charge my equipment and if I do arrive early then I can get work done.

I haven’t found any quiet, relaxing lounges yet and many of my destination airports don’t have lounges.

I’ll have to re-evaluate next year and see if the $450 is worth it for the AMEX platinum card. So far it is NOT except my flights are on time.

For domestic travel I haven’t discovered any benefits yet to the Platinum card. If anyone knows of some please let me know.

scott66
    Participant

I find I’ve got used to a certain style of travel, once you experienced the seats in the front of the plane and the lounges it’s hard to give them up. I got done last year, the client would only pay for WT+, there’s no third party lounge in T5, its quite a culture shock to go back to hard seats and bars where the drinks stick to the table. Previously I’d been a little put out that the old Bangalore airport had no lounge, the check in agent gave me a voucher for a drink and pastry :-).

Would we pay £500 for the lounge and £1500 for the flat bed seat? It’s hard to justify the lounge charge, i don’t mind paying membership for a credit card or band that gives lounge passes. I think it’s £15 a go to use the third party lounges, for a couple of peace and quite comfortable chairs, nibbles and WiFi it’s worth the money.

The arrivals lounge for shower and breakfast after an overnight is a must. I’ve even paid to use the AA arrivals lounge in T3, because Thai don’t have an arrivals lounge (Air Canada only let their own customers use their lounge).

slotski
    Participant

Last November my flight from LAS to ORD was delayed. I arrived and missed my connection to LHR by 5 minutes the queue to sort out rebookings and accommodation was depressing, there must have been over a hundred people in the queue and only 2-3 agents to deal. As a Star Gold holder I had access to the UA lounge and there was no queue to deal with arranging a flight the next day and a hotel and I was sorted in minutes. The lounge was priceless for me

JKL
    Participant

@scott66 Priority Pass members (via Amex Platinum at least) can use the Air Canada arrivals lounge. Hope that may be of use! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls