Are lounges worth it?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)

• Anonymous

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Only if i have a long connection time (never) cause the seats a more comfortable and it can be quieter, other wise I just go in there have a drink catch up with some texting, bbm, facebook and BT or read a paper/mag 😉 all things i can do outside. I never use the shower, spa some times i may grap a bag of crisps but dont eat. If i was paying out of my own pocket and could drop the price of a ticket by not using the lounge i would xx

Daytripper
    Participant

In Europe, when the they opened, BA’s lounges at T5 upped the ante hugely (especially the First lounge for Gold Card holders).

I defy anyone to look me in the eye and tell me that time spent waiting in the general departures area compares favourably. Even if I’ve only got five minutes to spare before heading to the gate, I’ll always wander in.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

For me, they are very valuable, as an extension of my office where I can get some serious work done and free up time to spend with my family.

I often raise and email invoices from the lounge and write reports, as well as dealing with urgent emails.

I will use the showers occasionally (e.g. when connecting from an overnight flight), or before taking an overnight flight, after working all day, but have never tried a spa treatment.

NTarrant
    Participant

Lounges for me are also very valuable, they are peace and quiet away from the hum drum of the airport (unless there are noisey kids or loud people). Being able to either just relax or catch up on some work it is worth it.

I have to make some flights soon on airlines I don’t normally fly, so will be investing in Priority Club.

Senator
    Participant

For me it is two words:

Tranquillity or,

Efficiency

RichHI1
    Participant

If you have a long connection or a delay otherwise I arrive at last minute and go to gate. Life is too precious to spend it at an airport.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“I have to make some flights soon on airlines I don’t normally fly, so will be investing in Priority Club.”

Before you invest in Priority Pass, it might be worth a look at Airport Angel.

These two compete and sometimes undercut each other – I’m on PP at the moment (as I signed up for a sepcial promotion at LGW), but saved over 100eur with AA last year.

https://www.airportangel.co.uk/airportangel/page.aspx?PageID=11&n=b

https://www.prioritypass.com/Join/What-it-costs.cfm

Not much in it for UK residents, AA is GBP9 less, but if you live in Europe, e.g. France, AA charge 250GBP, whilst PP charge 399eur – quite a difference.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Yes, massively worth having.

I try to err on the side of caution as to how early to get to a flight and hence ofnet have 1 hour to kill. Being in th elounge with Wifi and some food with some peace and quiet to catch up on emails etc without rushing for a flight certainly makes flying less stressful.

Not to mention the benefit when a fligh is delayed.

Danwolf
    Participant

I find lounges to be especially useful on a evening/night flight. After work I head to the airport straight away, catching a shower, glass of wine, salad (as I know I’m going to eat on the plane again) and generally catching up with people via phone/messages/Facebook etc in the lounge. I like getting on a long haul flight refreshed and clean after a day’s work and the time gives me a chance to get myself in a good mood to enjoy a long haul flight.

I also think Arrivals lounges are worth it as well. I would rather have a good shower and breakfast after a long haul flight, being able to arrive in to the office not looking like I’ve just flown in from Hong Kong the night before.

NTarrant
    Participant

Thanks Disgusted, I’ll have a look at that.

Arrivals lounges are a must after an overnight flight.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Nigel

WIll you be arriving at LGW, overngiht?

If so, the arrivals lounge in the Sofitel (as used by BA) is also available to PP (and I think AA also.)

They have pretty good cabanas available.

RichHI1
    Participant

I find the comments about overnight arrivals lounges interesting. When I do red eyes I always ensure I have an early check in so I can showerchange and breakfast beofre going on. Wherever possible I fly to arrive in the evenign so I can get some sleep. I do not find showering in lounges as comfrtable as soaking in a tub at a hotel and I choose not to pack my suits in carry on as they invaribaly end up looking like I slept in them.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

ok you lot if an airline cut the cost of the ticket quite considerably to say by £500 or more wouldnt you take it? One of the cheapest LHR-JFK rtn business tickets i have seen is currently less that £2000 and that is with a big airline, so if you can get a flat bed with no lounge access non flex for £1500 or less surely that is worth it!!!!! xx

NTarrant
    Participant

Becky – it depends on who is paying the bill for the ticket in the first place and also what value one puts on the use of the lounge. Look at the answers people have given, it’s not just about the cost of the ticket.

Thanks again Disgusted, I had a look at Airport Angel, but PP have promotion on at the moment which saves £12.00. But if I end up using the 10 visits which I most likely will, perhaps AA might have a promotion on then!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls