A Whisky thread

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)

• Tramor01
    Participant

I always felt it was a bit of a “bling/flashy” whisky for the non-connoisseur, more of a whisky for “show” (more money than sense?) than for anything else (as to my earlier comment on it being liberally doused with Coca Cola). I think Chivas Regal had a somewhat similar reputation (at one time) being extremely popular with the Latin Market in the Americas

As an alternative to single malts, can I suggest a single grain whisky in the form of Cameron Brig from the Cameronbridge Distillery in Leven?
    However,if you’re more into the Isaly or other Island Malts like Lagavulin or Talisker; as a Lowland whisky, Cameron Brig might be a bit too “light” for you as it’s slightly more akin to the Speyside malts.

PS – You shouldn’t confuse Cameron Brig with (the flashy) Haig Club, which happens to come from the same distillery!!

ontherunhome
    Participant

This brings back a memory for me, back in the late 80’s. I was on an United 747 5th Freedom from Sydney to Auckland, about 4 hours flight and cost about A$100 return with a leg to Melbourne thrown in on the way back.
    This was the old days, full service in economy. For the first drinks round, I asked for a whisky, the steward asked if i’d like ice or coke, to which i replied”whisky should only be drunk with water or another whisky” at which point he gave me 3 minitures. Come dinner he then gave me 3 bottles of wine. Now this was a 4 hour flight, but we had a second snack meal before landing. Yes I had 3 cans of beer. I did not not drink it all, but put it into my bag for later.
    Note as an aside, my ticket had originally been booked for about $70 or $80 but apparently this was a mistake, so I had to pay extra at the airport or not fly. I know mistakes happen but usually this would not have caused an issue. I paid up and took my flight.
    On Board I spoke to the manager, who asked me to fill in a card to customer services. I filled this in, and also paid compliment to the attentive crew and great service. On disembarkation, He handed me a carrier bag with a bottle of first class champagne as a gesture of goodwill. I also got a nice letter from United and a cheque to cover the error. Those were the days.
    I then bought some whisky for my hosts in arrivals duty free, and poceeded to his home, for a catch up, handed him a recent Western Mail, and shared another very large glass of whisky. I slept well that night.
    This is when I bought New Zealand Whisky on my exit from the country.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Those were the days ….. some years ago I was on an SAA CPT LHR, in Y, and ordered a couple of bottles of wine from the onboard duty free, because it was a favourite that was not generally available. The steward came later to say unfortunately it was sold out. Just before we landed he handed me a pack of three superb wines from F delivered with a smile and a friendly handshake.
    Good old days indeed.

wingcommander
    Participant

Great thread. Not an aficionado myself my view is, you like what you like. The great variety of tastes created from water, barley and yeast using different barrels is testament to the success of uisge-beatha (water of life).

So, just a couple of points to add; the Welsh Pendryn is certainly not a favourite and the helpful detailed description on stills has helped clarified the reason why I think. So thank you.

My final point, in these extraordinary times is to draw contributors’ attention to a virtual tasting I am arranging with some friends to help pass time, catch up and enjoy a dram. I don’t want you to join me, but if you review http://www.whiskytoasts.com virtual tastings with a host walking you through whiskies by region or distillery can be arranged (samples posted to home address) and may (hopefully) enrich an otherwise isolated and dull evening in to an enjoyable evening with good friends … whisky and good friends, what could be better especially just now.

Huitsix
    Participant

Nice thread indeed!

I’m pleasantly surprised to read that my tastes are quite aligned with most of yours: peaty, iodine tastes of Islay. I haven’t had the chance to taste the more expensive stuff but I really enjoy most Laphroaigs, Ardbergs & Lagavulins. In fact what I drink and enjoy the most is Laphroaig’s ‘Select’ which I think is the cheapest one they sell (or I am just too stingy?).

Allow me to offer an anecdote: as all teenagers I suppose, I once got beyond drunk on cheap booze and couldn’t have a drop of it after. My culprit: Jim Beam (if you have never tasted it, just don’t). Fast forward about 15 years I have learned to drink whisky (with moderation) but still don’t really enjoy the stuff all that much until one day I find myself at my sister’s house, going through her liquor cabinet and finding a modest bottle of “quarter cask” Laphroaig. Seeing that the price tag was in British pounds and knowing that my sister had been to Scotland on more than 1 occasion I thought: this must be decent. From thay day onwards, I fell in love with its peaty taste literally *instantly*.

The OP mentions Bruichladdich (sorry if I am not spelling it right) and I’m quite pissed off at Remy Cointreau’s policy to make it a super premium whisky. The Port Charlotte, the supposedly “most heavily peated whisky on earth” will NEVER justify its price tag to my eyes, cut the crap! I think it is 350 dollars at Changi Duty Free… I’ll pass!

It’s just as pretentious as Cognac which I (unfortunately?) have also learned to love BTW. A glass of XO is something I always find hard to say no to!

Before I forget: if any of you ever find yourselves looking for an exceptional whisky tasting experience in Singapore, I highly recommend “The Auld Alliance” I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Their whisky list goes beyond your imagination. They even have a hidden backroom where you can smoke cigars which doesn’t appeal to me (much rather smoke blunts which you don’t really want to do in Singapore) but pairs very well with fine whisky in the eyes of many I guess.

Cheers all.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=999232][/postquote]

I have not heard of this place Huitsix, where in Singapore, there used to be a place on Robertson Quay which was amazing and also had a cigar room, but would like to try the place you mention, we could also take Martyn there when he visits they will not have had such a good day 🙂

Huitsix
    Participant

Hi K1ngston,

The Auld Alliance changed address a few years back I forgot where they used to be but now they are located at the 2nd floor of the Rendezvous Hotel on Bras Basah Road. The fact that it is not something you would run into by coincidence is part of what makes it great.

I am sure you will not be disappointed. One thing I love about this place is that they also have a rather decent rhum collection which in Asia is quite hard to come by!

However given the current situation in Singapore, it is not yet known when they will reopen.

capetonianm
    Participant

Five years ago to the day – it was the day of the vote on same sex marriage in Ireland – I was in Cork. That weekend I went on a tour of the distillery at Midleton, very interesting and typically Irish highly entertaining and a lovely day out.

I tasted some excellent and enjoyable whiskeys (that is how the Irish like to see it spelled) and took a couple home, but none that had that tang of iodine and the sea, which is very much an acquired taste. For me one of the great pleasures of whisky/whiskey, in fact of any fine drink, is the memory of the time, the people, and the place where I bought it, which is why I rarely buy in supermarkets or bottle stores.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=999265][/postquote]

capetoniunm I fully agree its the whole ambiance and situation when enjoying or remembering a drink, I too love Midletons Whiskey and had it bought for me as a present so agree with you there, and that day 5 years ago in Ireland was they day I proposed to my husband ( unfortunately we were unable to marry in Ireland as we are not domiciled there) but the euphoria of the vote and its significance is very high for me …. On the night of our wedding in a bar in Sussex where we married we raised a glass of Midleton Rare, a very special day 🙂

capetonianm
    Participant

Lovely story K1ngston, and I wish you both many more years of happiness together. After my dinner tonight I will raise a glass of something pretty drinkable to you both.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Ontherunhome’s recollections reminded me that all has not been that bad until corona. Early 1918 I used a cattle class return to Portland (Or) mainly on BA out of Sweden for about $200 cheaper than the same flights I wanted (other than the ARN/LHR leg) out of LHR. The BA section (LHR-SFO) was excellent on a relatively empty plane and the flight attendants were friendly and chatty. Shortly before landing I was asked if there is anything you’d like so I thought a nice extra wine could go down well. The result was a selection – 4 different bottles – with the suggestion you will need to check out which you prefer. Too much to imbibe before landing so I kept all for later only to realize I’d another flight to catch with a short connection. No problema: the lady check-in for my Alaska connection from SFO noted my bulging hand bag and the bottles but her only response was to suggest that I’d obviously have very nice flight. Not the same as good whisky though. Both the BA lounge and, even more, the Amex lounges in SFO were excellent on my return though normally I’d not have been allowed on my ticket for either! A really great trip.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=998390]My final point, in these extraordinary times is to draw contributors’ attention to a virtual tasting I am arranging with some friends to help pass time, catch up and enjoy a dram. I don’t want you to join me, but if you review http://www.whiskytoasts.com virtual tastings with a host walking you through whiskies by region or distillery can be arranged (samples posted to home address) and may (hopefully) enrich an otherwise isolated and dull evening in to an enjoyable evening with good friends … whisky and good friends, what could be better especially just now.[/quote]

wingcommander – thank you very much for your post and recommendation. Last night 4 friends along with ‘PM – the organiser’ thoroughly enjoyed an evening of whisky tasting and discussion, which lasted nearly 3 hours.

I discussed the format with ‘PM’ after visiting his website. We agreed, a blind tasting of 3 malts & 3 blends with a competition running on the side. We had to identify the blends from the malts and price/value each dram in order.

In case any of you decide to enjoy this event, I wont spoil it by mentioning the whiskys, except to say the price ranges of the drams were from £15 per bottle up to £415 per bottle. I lead a very blessed life, but at 58 years of age, tasting a high value whisky (we ordered doubles) was a first and a privilege.

‘PM’ had prepared special bottled samples (mini bottles sterile and previously unused) packaged and sent down to me in London. We gathered at 8.10pm, after the clap for carers, via ZOOM (paid version). We each had the 6 doubles, + a seventh (special tasting) armed with appropriate glasses, water, cheese board and crudities.

The results of our competition were extremely interesting. 1 of the group got 6 out of 6 re which were blends and malts the rest of the group each got 1 wrong. The most interesting part was putting a value to each dram and choosing favourite and ‘not so’ favourite (apparently there is no such thing as a bad whisky!).

Besides being an extremely enjoyable evening, first night ‘out’ for weeks, it was also a great lesson in whisky marketing.

I would certainly be up for another similar event…..

Once again wingcommander, many thanks for your recommendation and if anyone else has ideas for an evening ‘out’ or lock down corporate hospitality, please dont be shy…

2 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=999670][/postquote]

I would have thought you would have won that hands down Martyn? Sounds like a great idea, and I have a very special bottle my husbnd bought me and I will save it for when you come to visit and we can share together 🙂

3 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=999741]would have thought you would have won that hands down Martyn? Sounds like a great idea, and I have a very special bottle my husbnd bought me and I will save it for when you come to visit and we can share together 🙂[/quote]

Thank you K1ngston. From the sounds of things I had better take a few days off when our BBQ happens. Whilst I didn’t win the main competition, I did manage to identify 1 of the 6 distilleries represented, most of which I admit to having never heard of prior.

It was a very enjoyable evening and besides the tasting, I found marketing strategies used by the whisky industry fascinating. From the use of colours in naming whisky, to terms like ‘Quartercask’ & the reasons why 19 and 24 year bottles are now appearing.

Our host was amazing, it’s pity he is unable to host a similar Gin event – any recommendations for a gin expert would be very much appreciated.

cwoodward
    Participant

‘Our host was amazing, it’s pity he is unable to host a similar Gin event – any recommendations for a gin expert would be very much appreciated.’

My wife is very knowledgeable……… at least in drinking it !

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘A Whisky thread’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls