A Whisky thread

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)

• Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

[quote quote=1004405]Why has nothing moved forward on this its been over a week ! (joke)[/quote]

Not fair! It has moved forward a long way and I have been in detailed and very positive discussion with BT on the mechanics (thank you BT!), and will talk to the organiser of these tastings by the end of the week.

Watch this space, it will happen.

1 user thanked author for this post.

wingcommander
    Participant

Macallan is a lovely whisky. ‘Twas mentioned on the TV last night; ‘Amazing Hotels’ in the whisky bar of the Torridon Hotel. I think I heard a nip of 1912 MacAllan is 102GBP!

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

[quote quote=1004410]I think I heard a nip of 1912 MacAllan is 102GBP![/quote]

That strikes me as cheap! I’ve no idea how much 1912 whisky there is left in the world, let alone 1912 MacAllan. One hears of 60 years old whisky going for tens of thousands of pounds, and with 30 drams in a bottle £10,000 for a bottle is well over £300 a measure.

My “price-point” comparison was some Bruichladdich 30 year old I had last September which was £70 for a single measure (return to the very first post of this thread to see why I felt able to pay that much for a single dram!)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1004410]Macallan is a lovely whisky. ‘Twas mentioned on the TV last night; ‘Amazing Hotels’ in the whisky bar of the Torridon Hotel. I think I heard a nip of 1912 MacAllan is 102GBP![/quote]

That was one wonderful collection of whisky’s. Would love to be locked away in there for a couple of weeks… Did feel sad when they were talking about the random way they choose which live stock to send to the kitchen and they all have names 🙁

Kusya123
    Participant

Agree! Can I be locked up there too?))))))))))))

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1004406][/postquote]

Not to be pedantic but putting ice in 18 year old Whiskey is not neat …… Neat is how it presents when poured out of the bottle 🙂 just so you know I also would drink with one cube of ice but wouldnt say it was neat….

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1004479]Not to be pedantic but putting ice in 18 year old Whiskey is not neat ……[/quote]

😊

You’re right, my abuse of the English language is unacceptable . Neat is definitively not an untidy mess of ice swirling around in a cauldron of amber nectar
    I’ll be more careful in the future

3 users thanked author for this post.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

ANNOUNCEMENT OF PROPOSED WHISKY TASTING EVENING

As promised I have been exploring with the BT Forum team the possibility of a whisky tasting by Zoom for anyone who wishes to join us. I am pleased to say that BT are fully with us on this and I can therefore announce that, subject to there being enough takers, we will hold a tasting on Wednesday 30 September, at 6.00 pm UK time. The tasting will be open to anyone in the UK or EU/EEA/Switzerland – the limitation for people beyond that is solely due to the challenges (both postal and customs) of getting the whisky samples to you before the evening.

I have offered to organise the whisky side of the evening, with BT handling all the admin and payment side through their Events programme (for which our thanks in advance). As a rough guide, the evening should last about 2 hours, and should cost (depending on the whiskies we choose to sample) between £30 and £40 a head for single measures/one participant, roughly double that if you ask for double measures.

At this point we would like to invite people to express an interest, by emailing [email protected] with your real name (ie not Forum screen name) and country of residence. Once you have expressed an interest, further discussion on the format of the evening, the choice of whiskies and your participation in it will be arranged by email direct not through the Forum. Please note that by expressing an interest, you accept that BT will pass to me your real name and email address; they will not however tell me your Forum name so that the connection between Forum and real names remains undisclosed to me.

There will be room for a maximum of 24 people for logistics reasons (and anyway, more than that and we do not all fit on one Zoom screen); if the event proves very popular we may have to operate a first-come, first-served rule, so please send in expressions of interest without delay.

Or of course we could just run a second tasting!

Slàinte

2 users thanked author for this post.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

[quote quote=1004663]As promised I have been exploring with the BT Forum team the possibility of a whisky tasting by Zoom for anyone who wishes to join us. I am pleased to say that BT are fully with us on this and I can therefore announce that, subject to there being enough takers, we will hold a tasting on Wednesday 30 September, at 6.00 pm UK time. The tasting will be open to anyone in the UK or EU/EEA/Switzerland – the limitation for people beyond that is solely due to the challenges (both postal and customs) of getting the whisky samples to you before the evening.[/quote]

A week on, and just to say thank you to those that have replied. Not quite enough yet to make this work though (the organiser needs a minimum take-up), so one further call for participants or those merely at this stage “interested”.

Please email [email protected] with your real name to sign up.

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks for setting this up Cedric.
    Definitely in (or rather Mrs. LP is as I don’t drink Whisky) and email just sent. Hope you get the minimum number needed.

cwoodward
    Participant

It sounds like a lot of fun Cedric and a great initiative.
    I would love to join but unfortunately the timing for me would be the middle of the night in Hong Kong.
    Am sure that you will reach the quota

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1005903][/postquote]

Likewise me, however much I love my whiskey if I get up in the middle of the night to try my favourite all favour i would have earned during the week would be gone in a flash…. enjoy your time together

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks for the initiative Cedric, and a real shame not enough people signed up for it. Hope another attempt will be made later in the year. You can keep Mrs. LP as a definite.

FormerBA
    Participant

As a Glaswegian I have a fondness for lowland whisky and a favourite is Auchentoshan. That said I have fondness for almost any malt!!

Tramor01
    Participant

I received an email this morning from a spirits retailer called The House of Malt which I often use to access less common malt whiskies (I have no other association with them).
    They were promoting a “virtual” whisky festival being held between the 16th and 18th of October.

I know there was interest in taking up Cedric’s kind offer of setting up a tasting event, which I believe is currently on hold pending organising a suitable date at some point in the future.
    I thought in the meantime this event may be of interested to some of you (I hope I’m not contravening any Forum rules)?

Whisky Festival in a Box – Virtual Festival

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘A Whisky thread’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls