A Whisky thread

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)

• wingcommander
    Participant

I’m really pleased it worked out k1ngston, my own night was a huge success.

Drams were delivered / posted ahead of the event, in sterile bottles as you describe. We had 12 on the zoom call. We went for a selection of 15 year olds which the host sourced. These included Glenfarclas, Lagavulin, Glengoyne, Arran and two others I cannot now recall!

The host has extensive whisky related knowledge on the drams themselves, processes and distilleries.

Interesting to learn that Glengoyne just north of Glasgow straddles the A81 with the distillery on the north of the road making it technically a highland malt, while their storage is all on the south of the A81 which sits in the lowland region. Really enjoyable way to spend an evening with friends. http://www.whiskytoasts.com

capetonianm
    Participant

MartynSinclair (on another thread).

I am hoping to find a nice sea view fresh fish restaurant that DOES NOT serve whisky !

Late last year I was in Tobermory where having purchased from the distillery, I wandered down to the end of the quay amd enjoyed a superb sea food meal (the restaurant upstairs, not the ground floor take-away) with a view of the sea and the fishing boats, started and ended with a glass or two of the local whisky. It was one of the memorable experiences of a cruise round the British Isles which included Mull, Orkney, Belfast, Dublin and Cobh. Unfortunately we had to skip Skye due to bad WX.
    I was a bit surprised at Martyn’s comment, as he is clearly a whisky connoisseur (sp?)!

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

[quote quote=998390]My final point, in these extraordinary times is to draw contributors’ attention to a virtual tasting I am arranging with some friends to help pass time, catch up and enjoy a dram. I don’t want you to join me, but if you review http://www.whiskytoasts.com virtual tastings with a host walking you through whiskies by region or distillery can be arranged (samples posted to home address) and may (hopefully) enrich an otherwise isolated and dull evening in to an enjoyable evening with good friends … whisky and good friends, what could be better especially just now.[/quote]

@wingcommander

I have taken your advice and I arranged a whisky tasting for my family – we had it last week. It was most enjoyable, and as you and others have said, the host is knowledgeable, entertaining and extremely good.

Thank you for the suggestion, and highly recommended for others.

wingcommander
    Participant

‘Cafe Fish’ is the little eaterie that sits atop what was, I understand, the old harbour board building. Visited twice, last year with some relatives over from Oz. On both occasions blessed with superb sunshine. It’s a magnificent location, great food and a wee dram. Difficult to beat. [postquote quote=1003698][/postquote]

wingcommander
    Participant

I’m really pleased it was an enjoyable experience. [postquote quote=1003704][/postquote]

capetonianm
    Participant

You are correct, it was Cafe Fish. I looked at my CC statement and it brought back very pleasant memories of money well spent on that cruise.

Capture

I will be interested in a tasting, but not for the next few months I am only allowed to drink minimal amounts of alcohol as it is contra-indicated in relation to medical treatment I am having.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1003698]was a bit surprised at Martyn’s comment, as he is clearly a whisky connoisseur (sp?)![/quote]

Sadly it’s work and only a day trip….

Thank you Canucklad, wingcommander and Capetonianm for your restaurant recommendations.

capetonianm
    Participant

capetonianm
    Participant

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

You are correct, it was Cafe Fish. I looked at my CC statement and it brought back very pleasant memories of money well spent on that cruise.

Words that I can use here fail me, unless this was accidental.
    If not, perhaps whoever reported my post could explain exactly what is ‘inappropriate’ about it.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1003778][/postquote]

It must be a mistake capetoniunm as I also cannot see why it was deemed inappropriate …

canucklad
    Participant

Having a bit of a slow day ,with almost a clear diary for once ….
    So my mind has drifted to the big bad outside world….and remembering that today the pubs are allowed to let people escape the Scottish weather….

Got me thinking about enjoying whisky in the company of friends ……..
    Can I suggest that once a week , one of us suggests (nominates) a whisky for the rest of us to try when we are out ? Then we can report back with our thoughts …just a different take on the old Friday Fun topics ?

5 users thanked author for this post.

wingcommander
    Participant

Sounds like a great idea. A by-product of this maybe to influence the offerings provided by our beloved transport operators!

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Indeed might there be interest in a tasting together with the Whisky Toasts person Wingcommander found (and others of us have tried)? As the originator of this thread I would offer to act as organiser – unless the BT administration feels it should take over!

7 users thanked author for this post.

wingcommander
    Participant

I would be up for that. With the host’s experience he can steer us if we provide some ‘broad’ requirements; highland, Islay, peaty, by price (as another forum contributor did) or 15 year olds as an example I’m sure whatever we select it’ll be an enjoyable event.

cwoodward
    Participant

Why has nothing moved forward on this its been over a week ! (joke)

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1004405]Why has nothing moved forward on this its been over a week ! (joke)[/quote]

My apologies for not suggesting a tipple… classic working from home scenario…..quiet, quiet and then suddenly hectic, and it simply slipped my simple mind.

So, I’m going to recommend early , for this weekend that you all try a Macallan 12 year old. i have mine neat with 2 small cubes of ice –Sacrilege I know : )

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘A Whisky thread’ is closed to new replies.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls