B737 MAX – Will You Fly on One ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 136 through 144 (of 144 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=1002914][/postquote]

FAA did a very poor job with the B737max. This is why they have to be faultless on this occasion.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

The inspector generals report says Boeing shielded key 737 Max details from FAA
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/01/politics/boeing-737-max/index.html

The FAA report
    https://www.oig.dot.gov/library-item/37940

and so the saga rolls on to its ultimate disastrous conclusion which at best could be an aircraft that few major countries would be prepared to certify and that few would be prepared to fly on.

There are reports in the US that Boeing is looking at bringing back the McDonnell Douglas brand. Perhaps it would be a good idea to also bring back the aircraft updated with new engines

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Boeing Year-End Goal for 737 Max Return Gets Boost in Europe</strong>

Boeing Co.’s push to return the grounded 737 Max jet to the skies by year-end got a boost from European regulators, who said they expect to sign off on their safety review by November.

Inquisitive
    Participant

As many and I commented earlier on this topic that Max design is inherently faulty and trying to patch up job does not make it safer – it is just additional safeguards are being placed and those can fail in some circumstances.

In other equivalent mode of public transport (e.g. SUV of some that used to topple) or even in aviation (e.g. Concord) the design is normally withdrawn.

WinnipegMax
    Participant

Many excellent points.

Above all, I think that the credibility of the oversight organisations. For that reason, once the European and Canadian agencies, who I trust far more than the currently politicised American FAA, give the 737 Max a green light, and once carriers like Air Canada, the Lufthansa group and other similar airlines are flying them again, I will trust their judgement.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Has the Lufthansa Group ordered any 737 MAx aircraft ? I don’t believe it has.

However IAG has “signed a letter of intent for 200 MAX aircraft.”

IAG signs letter of intent for 200 B737 Max aircraft

RoyJones
    Participant

Despite Willie no longer being at IAG, I can’t imagine any B737MAX contract in the near term. IAG will use it as a stick to beat Airbus with a sort of guarantee of a heavily discounted price if they have to go back to Boeing. There are probably enough planes in “temporary” storage for minimal new deliveries until 2023. The only exception to this is the A321XLR which can be profitable on lengthy recovering routes that cannot yet justify a widebody.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1012003]Despite Willie no longer being at IAG, I can’t imagine any B737MAX contract in the near term. IAG will use it as a stick to beat Airbus[/quote]

Yep. The letter of intent is essentially meaningless….”subject to formal agreement” which will never be reached.

cwoodward
    Participant

As I understand the situation.
    In order for the aircraft be certified several significant modifications will be required and all existing B737Max aircraft will need to retrofitted before any aircraft can fly commercially. Many are doubting the November date being mentioned and April 2021 has been quoted as the likely date. Either way it could be some time before the aircraft returnes to service.

Viewing 9 posts - 136 through 144 (of 144 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls