B737 MAX – Will You Fly on One ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 144 total)

• philsquares
    Participant

[quote quote=934507]I also remember flying on a KLM DC10 from LHR to AMS during the grounding.

First time on it and I was impressed. As I remember the crew pointed out that this was DC10 -30? And not the type that was grounded in the US (after the Chicago crash)
    [/quote]

It was the DC-10-30 which was grounded. The DC-10-40 PW powered was not grounded as it had a different pylon attach system, NW and JAL were the only 2 -40 operators.

alanred13
    Participant

[quote quote=935476]Well 393 Boeing Max have been built. If we took 350 of those and said they flew on average 5 legs a day that is 1750 flights a day. Multiply by say 45 weeks and that is just over half a million flights year x 2 years = just over a million flights.[/quote]

The current average for airline accidents is one per 3-4 million flights. So 2 crashes in a million flights is significantly above average.

I personally will avoid any airline flying 737Max’s until they have achieved many millions of safe flights.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=935522]I personally will avoid any airline flying 737Max’s until they have achieved many millions of safe flights.[/quote]

Is it that easy ?

Airlines can and do make aircraft substitutions … often at the last minute.

What if you are taking several flights at the same time and one of these flights, somewhere on your itinerary, is changed from a regular 737 to a 737 MAX ?

You may not know until it’s too late.

alanred13
    Participant

[quote quote=935524]Airlines can and do make aircraft substitutions … often at the last minute.[/quote]

That’s why I would avoid any airline that has 757Max because as you say they can substitute. In fact If I were an airline with 757Max’s I would not let you know it it was a 757Max at the time of booking.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I think you mean 737MAX.

But that will become more difficult in future when you consider so many airlines have purchased the MAX and many hundreds have already been manufactured but are now stored.

In fact over 5,000 have been ordered already (although not yet manufactured).

Travel Manager UK
    Participant

The latest news from the FAA is certainly setting the right tone, namely that Boeing has a Q3 date in mind to get the 737 MAX flying. However the regulators are not going to be pushed. The FAAs reputation is on the line and while Boeing’s dealing of the crisis has been a masterclass of how to destroy trust and create lack of confidence in your product and organisation. The FAA has an opportunity to start to put matters right.
    For me the issue of proper pilot training on simulators is key. If it stays grounded for 12 months so be it. Boeing will need to find a lot bigger parking lot.

Johnnyg
    Participant

With customer confidence eroding in the B737 MAX it makes me wonder how much it will affect bookings for the new B777X with its folding wingtips and their first aircraft with Fly by Wire (FBW) which I understand is a different system used by Airbus.

In addition as existing regulations do not cover the folding wingtips, the FAA issued special conditions, including proving their load-carrying limits, demonstrating their handling qualities in a crosswind when raised, alerting the crew when they are not correctly positioned while the mechanism and controls will be further inspected.[48] Those ten special conditions were to be published on May 18, 2018, covering worst-case scenarios.

How much of this was approved by the FAA or Boeing themselves?

3 users thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Absolutely will not. Still very uncertain about other Boeing products now – they are one of many industries in th US too deep in the pockets of the government (such as food, steel, coal etc etc) to have total confidence. FAA also has been weakened by government pushing them to relax regulation – Trump has certainly pushed for this in all industries. Not much confidence in US oversight right now ..

ontherunhome
    Participant

I have avoided the B737 anyway, as I find it a cramped and uncomfortable aircraft to fly on compared to an A320. I will not fly the max, or any airline using it. It is time passengers were put first, bt manufacturers and airlines, as we are the ultimate customer who pay for tickets, and we can vote with our feet.

Also much prefer the A350 over 787, which has a cheap feel inside. Doing a flight LHR-DOH-HKT next month so will have A350/787 flights to have a good comparison.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=936056]I have avoided the B737 anyway, as I find it a cramped and uncomfortable aircraft to fly on compared to an A320. I will not fly the max, or any airline using it. It is time passengers were put first, bt manufacturers and airlines, as we are the ultimate customer who pay for tickets, and we can vote with our feet.

Also much prefer the A350 over 787, which has a cheap feel inside. Doing a flight LHR-DOH-HKT next month so will have A350/787 flights to have a good comparison.[/quote]

A320 are horrible, and A321 even worse. I choose the B737 as much as I can. Plus I don’t like joystick planes. As for the A350, it is a pale and unfinished copy of the B787 (air inside, windows, …). Here again, B787 as mush as I can!

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=936185]

I have avoided the B737 anyway, as I find it a cramped and uncomfortable aircraft to fly on compared to an A320. I will not fly the max, or any airline using it. It is time passengers were put first, bt manufacturers and airlines, as we are the ultimate customer who pay for tickets, and we can vote with our feet.

Also much prefer the A350 over 787, which has a cheap feel inside. Doing a flight LHR-DOH-HKT next month so will have A350/787 flights to have a good comparison.

A320 are horrible, and A321 even worse. I choose the B737 as much as I can. Plus I don’t like joystick planes. As for the A350, it is a pale and unfinished copy of the B787 (air inside, windows, …). Here again, B787 as mush as I can![/quote]

Amazing how personal preferences affect perceptions. My perception of B737 vs A320/321 and B787 vs A350 is exactly opposite to @Swissdiver. To me the Airbuses feel far more spacious than the Boeings. I do, however, share his/her dislike of joystick planes, again purely on the perceived and perhaps misconceived notion that they are not as safe as those with mechanical controls!

3 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I am not sure that comparing aircraft interiors between manufacturers is valid. The comfort levels are down to airlines’ choices of configuration, fittings, and so on.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    AK

Ahmad
    Participant

@capetonianm I have felt the same on various airlines, during both day and night flights.

Johnnyg
    Participant

More problems for the B737, more groundings, more wing issues now

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boeing-confirms-to-faa-737-max-737-next-generation-slat-tracks-issue-passenger-planes/

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Kenya Airways’ CEO (who is quitting the airline later this year) has told reporters at IATA’s AGM that “Boeing should consider renaming MAX.”

via ATW

https://atwonline.com/iata-agm-2019/iata-agm-2019-boeing-should-consider-renaming-max-kenya-airways-ceo-says

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 144 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls