25 Things (and Counting) We Hate About Hotels

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)

• npchuaMY
    Participant

107. Live band at lobby lounge/bar.

StewartKidd1
    Participant

Hmm, not quite as many as for the previous mass gripe. Building on 105, we could add:

108. Reception desks at 0845 and 1730 which are staffed by one harassed trainee who is also trying to answer three ringing phones.
    109. ‘Sanitised for your protection’
    110. Flight crews taking up all the seats in the lobby
    111. Grand lobbies with insufficient seating

MartynSinclair
    Participant

112. I dont like to stand in front of a seated receptionist, with a large computer screen between the receptionist and me. Makes me feel as if I am a naughty schoolboy seeing the headmaster!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

113. Long dark half lit passageways.
    114. Rooms with inadequate lighting.

lostantipod
    Participant

115. Any strange smell … Be it cigarette smoke, stagnant water, stinky carpet, mould….. When I enter my room . Seriously how much is a can of deodoriser (Hilton Newbury south take note… Smells like a laundry downstairs I will never go back!)

canucklad
    Participant

116. Similar to LP’s 113. ……Corridors that have auto lighting that comes on.or not until you’re halfway along the corridor

117. Door numbering systems that wouldn’t be out of place at a convention of randomness…..Surely room 820 should be next to 819/ or 821 and not 833

118. Hotel’s with a pool that you can’t use because they’ve leased it out to the local council to be used for PE swimming lessons.

119. Trying to use you’re Blackberry only to find previous internet connection blocked by Hotel WIFI login screen demanding payment for the pleasure of using it….I already pay through my contract .

120. Giving something a fancy name and doubling up the price…i.e The New Yorker burger….sorry its just a cheese burger with chips

StewartKidd1
    Participant

Thanks Canuck – that reminds me of a major gripe:

121. Major conference hotels with no mobile reception on some networks (are you listening Marriott Worsley Park?). No, you probably can’t be because there’s no 3G signal on at least three networks.

Papillion53
    Participant

MS – 112 – that’s just bad manners! I hate it too and unless someone is disabled or in a wheelchair, then standing up to greet someone is the best way to make a great first impression on check-in in an hotel. Chairs behind reception desks in my day were a big no no.

122. Anyone who says “Yes?” or worse, someone who just looks at you and says nothing, on approach rather than Good morning etc.

123. The beds or rather mattresses that have seen better days! Stained mattresses – oh yes I look – sometimes! 😉

124. As above with pillows

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ lostantipod – 27/10/2012 17:57 GMT

Groan, you have just reminded me of absolutely the worst experience in comprehensively the grottiest place I have ever stayed in: the Formule 1 at Reims. When I entered the room, the smell of stinking socks… I assume that the previous occupants never washed and left their stale and fetid clothing around the room.

There is going cheap (I was on a delivery errand for brother) and then there is Formule 1. Never, ever to be repeated.

StewartKidd1
    Participant

Canucklad – then you had better avoid the newish Indigo in Edinburgh – the numbering system appears to have been done by someone who is severely dyscalculaic – even the receptionist had to go and get help to find me my room.

(And who ever designed the colour scheme and picked the carpets really was having a bad day).

eastcoaster
    Participant

125. Staff who think it is your privilage for them to serve you. Take note Monstario Hotel, Cusco, Peru.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

126. Hard mattresses that make it difficult to sleep.

127. The sheets have been done so tightly that you have to go round the bed to untuck it before getting in.

128. No clock

129. No electrical sockets close to the bed to charge your phone. So when the phone rings or you need to check the times (as there is no clock in the room) you have to get out of bed to check the time/text etc.

130. Noisy AC

131. Hotels that have phones next to the toilet!!

132. Bad sound proofing of rooms so you can hear drunk people running and shouting in the corridor late at night.

133. Old style TVs and no flat screen

134. TV remotes that are either broken because you have to press so hard just to change the channel or the battery is dead.

135. Being expected to tip someone who is doing what they are being paid for! like the guy who shows you to your room or room service bringing your breakfast.

136. Slow lifts

137. Charging you to photocopy 1 sheet of paper

138. Housekeeping after making up your room don’t top up the free amenities like the shampoo, soap etc.

139. Charging for internet access per device!!!

140. Unable to get a spa appointment because they are fully committed.

141. Using the gym to find some twat using the free weights has left them all over the floor and not put them back.

142. Walking in to the changing room in the spa to find it turned over by people who have left in a total mess, towels all over the place, wet floors, talc, cotton wool all over the place.

143. Children in the hot tub!

144. High bar stools

145. Arranging a reservation in the hotel dining room to find they too are fully booked!

146. Spending hundreds on a room in a 5 star hotel to find your view is of either the office next door or worse a delivery entrance!

canucklad
    Participant

BB….no .144

Have you been in the Heathrow Radisson bar ?

Not only high but actually horse saddles as seats!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

No, besides that building gives me the creeps!

147 . Heathrow Radisson (for the above reason)

edited

canucklad
    Participant

Are you talking about the one on the Bath road ? and if so why ?

148. No free shuttle bus to the terminal…How much is the hoppa?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls