20 Reasons NOT to fly Ryanair

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)

• Scandinavian
    Participant

Ryanair actually doesn’t push its green credentials all that much, which is surprising…

Personally I don’t think that “green credentials” affect a consumers choice of carrier but it is probably a smart move to have a “positive” environmental profile.

Haven’t most carriers abandoned or hidden their carbon offset schemes which you could pay for when making a booking since no one was willing to pay?

RichHI1
    Participant

Scandinavian, have you factored in ground transprtation given that ryanair tends to use airports that are ocated further out from city centers cauisng more use of ground transportation , buses, taxis and trains etc.
    I guess against this one can include trips via Europe on BA to save on UKAPD and Premium Cabin fares.

Scandinavian
    Participant

Grand transportation question is interesting.

Ryanair bypasses the major congested and expensive European hubs but its airport profile is as follows:

– some main airports (MAD, BCN, DUB)
    – secondary airports which are actually closer to their destinations than the main airports (Gothenburg, CIA in Rome)
    – secondary airports which better serve parts of city (LTN and STN for Northern London, Skavsta for southern Stockholm)
    – or destinations which aren’t served by the flag carriers (provincial France, Italy and Spain)

So I don’t think that ground transportation is a major factor in the environmental equation. Indeed given the price consciousness of a lot of Ryanair’s travellers they are probably more like to use public transport (bus) when travelling to and from airports!

RichHI1
    Participant

Interesting. I have heard comments from friends that their main gripe with ryanair was many of the airports lacked facilities and how far away they were . I wonder how many people flying from Luton or Stanstead are from that part of the world and not from London and surther south or west?
    I would expect the Ryanair business model to be very efficient for them and thta would promote green credentials.
    It is perhaps a question of balance as to whether you say additional flights using low cost transportation is greener than taxis and flag carier or less green than taking the train or even telephoning.

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls