20 Reasons NOT to fly Ryanair

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

• Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

jonathan

The main causes of aircraft accidents are (I presume) 1. pilot error, 2. air traffic control error, 3. equipment failure and 4. bad luck (eg weather, terrorism, etc).

Ryanair can do nothing about 2 and 4 (nor can any other airline). They do control 1 and 3. What the ratio of type-1 accidents to type-3 accidents is I don’t know – perhaps someone else does – but the fact remains that Ryanair does not seem to suffer from either.

jonathanmiller
    Participant

Cedric – I’m sure you are right. I guess the point I was making was that, with their apparently abusive personnel policies, they (and their passengers and crews) are exposed to greater risk of pilot-error-induced accident than those with a more caring approach.

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I think pilot error is statistically the most frequent cause … so Ryanair is possibly riding its luck do you think?

craigwatson
    Participant

I would have to disagree with you there, Ryan Air captains are SOME of the best paid in the industry, and granted for new FO’s conditions are quite bad.

As well there training is top notch and they are flying some of the best aircraft out there which mitigates their workload a bit as well.

I have no concerns over there saftey rating IMHO.

Binman62
    Participant

I have never flown Ryanair and I hope will never need too but I could not criticise their safety record.

That more pople fly them than BA tells you soemthing about them. They are clearly fulfilling a need and doing so profitably.

I do not like their attitude to customers and they do not offer a product I want to buy and that is all the reason I need to avoid them.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It’s not true that Ryanair have had no accidents, there have been several, but there have been no fatalities.

It’s also true they have some very experienced flight crew, ex BA, ex RAF etc and in any case they all have to pass stringent criteria as set by the CAA with regular checks etc.

The reason “pilot error” is so often shown as a cause of accidents is that the airline will often try and first blame the pilot since this shifts some of the blame from them.

If you recall two recent incidents, the BA 777 landing short of the runway and the Airbus in the Hudson River landing incident, one of the first things you heard being asked was, “was it pilot error” and you did not hear BA immediately denying it and standing by the pilot. This only happened in both cases, when it was shown to be something else that caused the crash and the pilots were being regarded as heroes.

In reality aircraft accidents are very rarely down to just one event but due to a series of events that lead up to the final incident.

In the AF accident over the Southern Atlantic, it was not just the thunderstorm. Other aircraft passed by safely before and after. As far as we know, it was a combination of weather, pitot tubes icing up and weather radar, which was on a lower setting and saw the smaller storm, but not the larger one behind it.

I think we have to be careful before accusing an airline of being unsafe, even if that is the perception, it is not necessarily the fact. I will not fly Ryanair because I don’t like their policies, small seats and legroom etc. I’m far happier paying a bit more for more comfort, extra baggage allowance, no check in hassles etc. On the other hand, if I was stuck somewhere and needed to get back in a hurry and the only option was Ryanair, I’d most probably fly with them.

Age_of_Reason
    Participant

Speaking as a BA Exec Club card carrier who has slipped to 0 flights in the last year whilst accruing Qatar Gold status, Flying Blue and Lufty regular and Gulf/Emirates occasional I can tell you all that I find the Ryan/EJ/Wizz experience refreshing.

You choose a place to go, show up with your backpack and get there on time and cheaply. You will meet itinerant entrepreneurial young people, grannies visiting their kids and wild-travellers of all descriptions. See the country, meet the people. No pretence, no frills.

Charles-P
    Participant

I only flew RyanAir once and it was enough to convince me that it should continue as an airline simply because the ghastly people that fly with them would otherwise be on the airlines I use.

Age_of_Reason
    Participant

OohhLala Charles…. Are you sure you didn’t mean to post on the “Obnoxious kids in Business Class” thread….?

hemispheres
    Participant

I avoid Ryanair ‘at all cost’ & know many people who think the same.

We have no problem with Easyjet.

Apart from treating their customers like ‘cattle, It is their blatant disregard for ‘customer care’. A flight can be cancelled & it is either ‘money back’ or next available flight which may not be for 3 or 4 days.

I’ve known them to cancel flights & claim ‘weather constraints’ & low & behold, FlyBe operate without a problem.

‘Treat your customers like fools, and they’ll take their custom elsewhere’.

Charles-P
    Participant

Age-of-Reason – Only my butler flies Business Class

jonathanmiller
    Participant

My butler refuses to fly RyanAir. Not that he thinks them dangerous, you understand; merely that he has a prejudice about not being treated as a person. He’s not too keen on Easyjet, either, for much the same reason.

Charles-P
    Participant

Its difficult to get good butlers these days – always well worth looking after them. I was saying that just this morning to our under gardner

jonathanmiller
    Participant

My own view entirely. And shared by my junior rose-bush leaf polisher and aphid operator (who, of course sleeps in a perfectly serviceable cardboard box in the stables and wouldn’t be seen dead in a RyanAir check-in queue).

Charles-P
    Participant

Carboard box ? Ye gads sir you’ll spoil the fellow.

Plus you have one man for both rose bush leaf polishing AND aphid operations – cutting back are we ?

Daytripper
    Participant

If you’re travelling…

1. On your own.
    2. With hand baggage only; and MOST IMPORTANTLY
    3. On a route not covered by any other airline.

Then they’ll suffice. To give them one notch of credit- they are very punctual.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls