20 Reasons NOT to fly Ryanair

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

• jonathanmiller
    Participant

Charles. Well, he does have to supply his own cardboard box, of course. I do see what you mean: but he took over from his father on the aphids. Volunteered, on bended knee while knuckling his forehead, to do both jobs for no additional gruel – provided he didn’t have to fly RyanAir, of course. Beneath him, he said.

lloydah
    Participant

Our aphids fly Ryanair

jonathanmiller
    Participant

Probably cheaper than using their own wings. And besides, aphids don’t terribly mind being bossed around and generally despised by ants. Or being delivered to destinations which sound like the one they thought they were were going to but are actually 73 miles in the wrong direction. Pretty unfussy lot all round, aphids. Good choice of airline for them.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

While I cannot compete on the “Upstairs Downstairs” part of this thread, I can offer something even more remarkable and unexpected – an idea for raising money from customers that even Ryanair has not thought of.

I was recently shopping in a supermarket which has “self-service” tills. It really is possible at this shop to collect one’s shopping, scan it and pay for it entirely without any contact with any staff of the store at all. And there at the exit was a large money-box with the words “Staff Gratuities – Thank you” on it.

Staff gratuities? In a supermarket? On the exit lanes where one does not actually meet any staff at all, not even a cashier? I could not believe this and stayed to watch for a few minutes.

And lo and behold at least 3 people contributed minor coins to the money-box. What is even more remarkable is that they had all paid by credit or debit card (it is how one pays at self-service tills), and therefore had to make a special effort to find some coins.

I offer the idea to Ryanair. A bucket at the exit marked “Staff Gratuities”. After all, what have they to lose, apart from their reputation (but that of course went long ago).

Age_of_Reason
    Participant

Thank you Cedric, for this insight into real life. I was wondering why the Butler never had any loose change these days.

Seriously though, the concept of underpying staff in order to motivate them to provide better service is old and honourable, desecrated only by the despicable practice of collecting tips within the ‘service charge’ and not passing the cash to the servants.

Since Ryan et al’s staff seem to be, in general, a happy and motivated crew, if unsophisticated, this is just another example of Ryan getting it right. Happy crew make satisfied customers and enriched shareholders.

At ‘regional’ airports the LCC crew are often the same as those working the BA and other bigboy checkins. Perhaps in preparation for further service withdrawals to leave us better served by ‘foreign’ longhauliers and LCCs. The dinosaurs will die. Remember we didn’t move out of the Stone Age because we ran out of rocks – we changed to better products when they became available.

jonathanmiller
    Participant

Oh Cedric, that’s brilliant. And …. you underrate your capacity. Your suggestion is in reality quite the worst of pure upstairs-downstairs, brought to its logical ludicrous conclusion – absentee patronism and abdicated meaningless congratulation irrespective of performance. I think I can guess the identity of the supermarket chain. To be fair, they do pay peanuts …. with the inevitable consequence, of course. As a result, they really are the RyanAir of the ground.

Charles-P
    Participant

Some years ago I was at a charity dinner where the speaker was the late Brian Johnston and he told a story of a cab ride in India. The cab was late at the airport and kept him waiting while the driver had an animated conversation with another driver, on the way to Brian’s hotel the driver got lost three times including one memorable near impact with a cow, broke down once needing the elderly Johnston to give the car a push and finally delivered him to the hotel hot, sweating, very late and agitated. The driver sat there while Brian got his own bags out of the boot and watched him stuggle to the kurb and as Brian turned away the driver shouted,

“Hey – no tip ?”

jonathanmiller
    Participant

With respect – deep respect – to Jonners – not just India, old chap. The world’s living experts at disdainful tip-demands for zero service are New York’s finest – the mincing brigade of maitre d’s

jonathanmiller
    Participant

Apologies everyone – light years off-topic, I know. Sorry.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Large bladder required …

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2048198/Ryanair-toilet-plan-Removing-board-loos-provide-extra-seats.html

M. Deparieu will certainly avoid FR from now on.

Or is this just another ploy by O’Leary to get column inches?

RichHI1
    Participant

We moan about the decline in service, food etc over the years but as long as people want the cr*ppiest product and the cheapest price then this decline will continue. As a result my mantra is to actively support loyally (even during hiccups) those airlines that have some concept of service and by supporting them with business hope that the full(ish) service business model survives. Ryanair is not an option for me anyway as it flies from airports that are miles away and does not fly long haul but even if it did I would rather listen to Richard Branson for 5 hours telling me BA AA was unfair than fly Ryranair.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

reminds me of the competition between taxi’s and mini cabs touting for the airport runs.

For me a fair price to Heathrow is £50, a luxury car would be £90. I was recently offered a new service for £30.

There is no way on G-ds earth that someone can make it pay at £30 to go back and forth to Heathrow from North London.

I declined to even try the service.

I agree with you all the way Rich, support loyally and at a fair price, those that provide service that is profitable and sustainable.

Scandinavian
    Participant

One reason for flying Ryanair is that their green credentials as they are probably the most efficient and environment friendly airline in the business.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/about/ryanair-and-the-environment

B737-800 fleet
    Average fleet age approx. 3,5 years old
    Maximum possible seating configuration – 189 seats
    High cabin factor
    Bypasses congested airports meaning less ATC delays
    Combination of high baggage fees and strict carry-on policy reduces average total baggage per pax.

All in all this makes Ryanair a very efficient producer. The carbon footprint left by a Ryanair passenger is lower than other carriers, especially flag carriers with business seating etc, congested hub airports etc, older fleets.

Having said that Ryanair has been a catalyst behind major growth in the European aviation market (capacity and volumes) which in itself is bad for the environment. However, if the choice is between Ryanair and BA on short-haul then Ryanair is the environmentally friendy choice.

RichHI1
    Participant

Another point worth considering is to what extent has the march of ryanair and other locosts been a factor in the demise of BMI? We all feel sorry for those whose jobs are at risk but by turning to another carrier to save a tenner there may be this additional cost to consider.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Interesting facts Scandinavian – whilst I am green friendly, it doesnt extend to travelling on Ryan Air.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone did choose Ryan because of their green credentials.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls