Boeing’s chief executive said today that the company must “take the time necessary” to make software updates to its B737 Max.
Business Traveller Asia-Pacific reported on June 27 that the manufacturer faces further delays to the return to service of its B737 Max aircraft, after the Federal Aviation Administration said it had found “a potential risk which Boeing must mitigate”.
Addressing this in a video posted to Twitter, Dennis Muilenburg said: “We continue to work with the Federal Aviation Administration and international regulatory authorities to develop, test and certify updates to the B737 Max. Through our comprehensive review process with the FAA, we determined last week there’s an additional flight condition we must address to reduce pilot workload and ensure the safety of the airplane and the flying public.
“We agree with the FAA that we must take action on this and we’re already working on the required software. In parallel, our work continues with regulators to complete as many elements of the certification process as possible as we develop this additional software. We’re working hard with a rigorous focus on safety and it’s important we take the time necessary to make these updates.”
He did not give a timeframe on how long the updates would take.
At the start of July Southwest Airlines, a major US low-cost airline and B737 Max operator, said it expects to have to remove its grounded Maxs from its flying schedule beyond the current October 1 re-entry date. However, International Airlines Group (IAG) last month signed a letter of intent for 200 Maxs, in a boost for the grounded jet.
Muilenburg’s comments in the Twitter video come a day after Boeing announced US$100 million in funds to “address family and community needs of those affected by the tragic accidents of Lion Air Flight 610 and Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302”.
“We know every person who steps aboard one of our airplanes places their trust in us. We are focused on re-earning that trust and confidence from our customers and the flying public in the months ahead,” Muilenburg said in a statement accompanying a press release about the new funds.
Today, the BBC published an interview with a man who lost his entire family in the crash of Ethiopian Airlines flight ET302.