Yellow fever

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

• JordanD
    Participant

Side point in the YF certificate – I’ve one of the older style certificates, which folds nicely and can be stapled into the back of the passport; this is very handy as some countries require proof of vaccination for entry, if you have previously been in a country where YF is common.

Others – like Tanzania – require proof on entry; on entry into JRO two years ago, all YF certificates were checked along with our visas.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

FlyingDoc, Thanks!! and no its NOT boring just very handy to know!! 🙂 x

Bruce98
    Participant

Malaria prophylaxis is not 100% … remember Cheryl Cole who was very ill, despite taking them.

Agree that bite prevention is also important; I carry a can of fly/mossie spray to knock down anything in the room at nightfall and also the liquid/plug in devices to maintain some protection overnight.

FlyingDoc
    Participant

Bruce, yes, I agree, but I rather take it than not, hence my point about mosquito avoidance.

Becky, many thanks, your comment makes me feel better !

Deleted_User
    Participant

I agree with Becky.

FlyingDoc, it’s great to have an expert in the field on the Forum.

Muchas gracias por tus consejos.

FlyingDoc
    Participant

Thanks

It’s my pleasure,

now off to do some boring paperwork !

Martin33
    Participant

I travelled to Zanzibar last year and border control required we show our YF certificates upon landing. This was the first time I was required to produce documentation I had received the vaccine.

There was a family on the flight who did not have a YF certificate. Border control were threatening to deny them access as I made my way to collect my luggage. Not sure if they were allowed access in the end or not.

sandtrekker
    Participant

@Martin33
    I had the same experience at Zanzibar “International” Airport last December. You should get your YF in any case. I don’t think you want to come down with it and it lasts for 10 years.

maxgeorge
    Participant

Into Zim, Namibia or South Africa from the DRC or CAR, you’ll need a Yellow Fever cert.

Also from Brasil into Uruguay, Argentina or Chile, though it is not always requested.

Get the shot anyway. I recently had a short, sharp shock with neurine typhus, following a hike along a tropical trail, and yellow fever is, I’m told, far worse.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I was having thoughts of a rabies jab as I am petrified about getting bitten by dogs when out and about walking in Asia. A client works for one of the big Pharmaceutical companys. What has confused me is there are different types of vaccines.

On a similar theme, I have never had any injections for travel. I know YF is being discussed, but do regular travellers keep up to date with all shots. I have spoken to a couple of corporate pilots this evening and they wondered why I was even asking.

Do most of you keep up to date or do not bother??

MartynSinclair
    Participant

bumping….

If the situation in NYC is not dealt with quickly, could this cause any health issues?

Papillion53
    Participant

MS – the DH travels extensively in Africa/Middle East for work and he always keeps his vacs up to date – company sends him for jabs, but he would do it anyway.

I also keep mine up to date just in case we go together somewhere where it’s required.

Swissdiver
    Participant

If my memory serves, Yellow Fever vaccination is required to get entry visa to Nigeria.
    I tend to get all possible vaccinations done, YF only when necessary. Also used Malarone with no problem.

simonjames
    Participant

The number of yellow fever situations has increased over the past two decades due to declining population immunity to infection, deforestation, urbanization, population movements and climate change.

maxgeorge
    Participant

Although it was not noted when booking on-line, nor was there any warning at check-in, if you’re flying BA/Comair JNB-LIV they won’t let you board without a Yellow Fever Vac. certificate ( as of August 26, last time I flew ).
    SA immigration sometimes ask for the cert if arriving from Zambia, but I crossed the Zambia/Namibia/Botswana & Zimbabwe borders several times earlier this month and it was never required, despite northern Zambia now being considered a yellow fever problem area.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls