Yellow fever

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

• Anonymous

Deleted_User
    Participant

After reading Sally Brown’s article ‘Get protected’ in the September issue of BT, I realised that my YF certificate had just expired.

Are there any countries for which it is an essential requirement? Sally quotes Ghana and I see on Liberia’s visa application form that it is explicitly mentioned.

I am very reluctant to get vaccinated for a third time.

Any feedback very welcome.

Simon

erodriguez
    Participant

Several countries around the world require it. I wouldn’t suggest getting vaccinated unless you actually have plans to visit some of those countries. Just check on the requirements of countries you normally visit and then decide from there.

Deleted_User
    Participant

Hi erodriguez

I am planning a trip to West Africa in December, a region I don’t know. I don’t think I will be granted a Liberian visa unless I have an up-to-date YF certificate.

Eres español?

Simon

Added: I have never had to provide proof of vaccination at any border.

FlyingDoc
    Participant

Hi Simon

There are a number of countries where having proof of being vaccinated against yellow fever is compulsory, as you well know. When you have such a vaccination you are given the international certificate of proof of vaccination, to be presented at borders/visa applications as per each country’s requirements. If you routinely visit countries where it is endemic, you would require another YF vaccination, not just for entry requirements, but more importantly for your own safety and protection.

I would suggest the nathnac website, it is very informative and always up-to-date. We health professionals use it regularly, but you can use the traveller section (you don’t need to be registered or have a password for this section),

http://www.nathnac.org/travel/index.htm

Yo no soy español, pero lo hablo …

Safe travelling !

Bruce98
    Participant

Simon

IIRC Liberia, like Ghana, requires a YF vaccination and it will be checked at the border.

Then there are a number of scams, e.g. at Lagos, where police/officials will tell you you need a certificate and ‘ fine’ you for not having one (there is no requirement, rightly or wrongly.)

Having a YF inoculation is no minor matter, there are risks (especially for the over 60s), but I’d agree with FlyingDoc on the matter of personal protection. I wouldn’t be happy in that area of the world without a current YF inoculation (or Malarone anti malarial prophylaxis.)

Having said that, I am not a medic, so this is only a personal opinion, derived from discussing the matter with healthcare professionals.

Deleted_User
    Participant

Thanks for all your sound advice.

FlyingDoc
    Participant

Hi

Just a quick clarification – obviously having had YF vaccination is an entry requirement in a number of countries, but let’s not forget this is in accordance with the World Health Organisation.

I agree that YF vaccination is not without its side effects and risks, but let’s not forget that YF itself has a high mortality rate amongst non vaccinated people who are not resident in endemic areas, up to 50% of cases – this is the main reason why vaccination is of such importance, although as with so many other risk factors (ie, malaria) insect bite avoidance also remains paramount. best thing is to always get proper medical advice on your individual needs.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk

This site is recomended by my GP.

FlyingDoc
    Participant

Thanks Becky, yes that is a very good website too

And although this thread is about YF, it is worth considering that as frequent travellers we ought to be up-to-date with all recommended immunisations, not just YF… at the risk of sounding patronising…sorry !

Bruce98
    Participant

FlyingDoc

Your last sentence is a point well made.

My main worries are not things that one can inoculate against, but malaria, dengue etc….

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Isnt YF the same as Malaria?

Deleted_User
    Participant

As you mentioned Malarone Bruce, in my experience it has no side effects.

Apparently cases of Dengue fever are on the rise, including in Rio de Janeiro.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-20038380

@ Becky

They are both spread by mosquitoes, but there is no malaria vaccination.

Stowage222
    Participant

Got my YF redone yesterday – I always keep all my innoculations up to date even although I no longer live in Africa. So far no side effects, thankfully.

FlyingDoc
    Participant

Becky

No, they are not – but both can be potentially fatal, and both transmitted by infected mosquitos.

You can be vaccinated against YF, but not against malaria (so far, research going on in this field, but very difficult to create an efficient vaccine against malaria), hence malaria prophilaxis (as oral treatment) is provided (privately, not on NHS scripts although most GPs would be able to issue private precsriptions for these drugs), and this is also why we always go on about mosquito bite avoidance at all costs too, some people might get too complacent because they are already taking malaria prophilaxis tablets, and without sounding sensasionalist in any way, unfortunately resistances to some drugs in certain areas and poor compliance from travellers can bring their risk too. This is another reason to request medical advice as advice for this type of prophilactic treatment gets regularly updated according to the latest medical data. Sorry, it sounds like I am giving a boring conference….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls