Why do I need to show a boarding pass when buying a magazine at the airport?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 423 total)

• Irons80
    Participant

And that is virtually the same as what I proposed the reason to be.

Irons80 – 13/01/2013 20:46 GMT

I am slightly surprised as many of you are such experienced businessmen, you wouldn’t have considered that it’s a way of tracking passenger purchases in the airport by flight. This gives BAA / airport operating company an understanding of who’s buying what and from which flights, which may help target offers and create specific marketing initiatives, as well as to keep stock levels right and the right balance of product mix.

I would also suspect there may be kickbacks from airlines / airports and suppliers on products sold from passengers from specific flights.

Papillion53
    Participant

Thank you rjbrownmalta that’s very good of you to let us know.

So no conspiracy theory, infringement of rights blah blah blah! 😉 🙂

stevescoots
    Participant

i bought some chocolate from T1 Smiths last week, they asked for my BP, I said i dont need to show it for this (politley) and she accepted and I paid.

me thinks those staff that are isisting you must havnt been told the correct way, or didnt listen 🙂

VictoriaW
    Participant

I work at WHSmith in an airport.

We have to have boarding cards for Market and Security Research for the airport.
    However, we have to have a 90% boarding card scanning rate. If we get less than this, we get a file note. If we receive more than 5 file notes because of our low boarding card percentage, we have to go for a meeting with the managers and explain ourselves. There is a risk we could get fired.

I’m only doing my job when I ask you for it.

Last week, I had a ridiculously rude business traveller who told me “I do have my boarding card, but I refuse to get it out for you. I’m in a hurry. Get a move on woman. Chop chop.”

Frankly, I refuse to be spoken to like this. I’m only doing my job. I’m sure he wouldn’t speak to his 17 year old daughter like this.
    I refused to serve him until he gave me his boarding card and lost the attitude. It honestly would be much quicker if you just gave the staff your boarding card and stopped kicking up a fuss! Just sayin’

Cheeryguy
    Participant

Thank you for your input Victoria and well said.
    Pompous business travellers take note.
    I am sure that in the organisations you work for you have procedures that have to be met and followed that to outsiders would appear inane and pointless.

Thanks also Victoria for your post

Reading some of the above, you would think you had to reveal your left nipple to buy a newspaper.

Cheeryguy
    Participant

Re nipple exposure

That could make the airport experience much more fun ;-))

lloydah
    Participant

Still not sure what “……….security research” would be. Market research yep, but security?
    Sounds a bit like some administrator heaping H&S rules onto something so people won’t question “why” then, of course, leaving those in the front line to deal with any awkward questions without the background knowledge to do anything about it.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Victoria,

Its scandalous that you get file noted…shame on WH Smith’s and its unacceptable that your employer bullies you like this…

It’s also unacceptable to put up with rude people, especially those on many more times your salary!!

You said…

“We have to have boarding cards for Market and Security Research for the airport”

You might have to as an employee follow your companies diktat…, but WH Smith as a company does not >..End OFF

Why don’t you suggest in your staff suggestion box, that they incorporate another button….the refusnik button…

And I now know what i’m going to do with my hours to spend here at T5.,….Go and by some fridge magnets and cause luddite chaos, as i try and retrieve my Boarding card from the depths of my Blackberry!!

VictoriaW
    Participant

@lloydah – after the incident mentioned in this article happened, we had to start the whole boarding card scanning rigmarole… (I don’t work at Manchester Airport by the way!) http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jul/25/11-year-old-flies-rome-manchester

I think the theory is that as WHS has a relatively large demographic of customers, it’s easier to check if anyone has breached security?

In general, WHS isn’t a very good company to work for – me and some of my colleagues are in the process of writing head office a letter about some of their procedures – we are mentioning the boarding card thing in there! 🙂

lloydah
    Participant

Thanks for reply Victoria. I certainly second canuklad’s post above. Let us know what sort of reply you get from your head Office.

Binman62
    Participant

Victoria, find another employer……

I can well understand market research but security…..nonsense. Can’t really see your international terrorist buying a book, a packet of Polos and a tacky British souvenir before heading off to carry out their dastardly deed….I mean really…roll eyes

I have no doubt employers tell employees this but it simply degrades security and makes it a laughing stock.

No excuse for the ignorant man you had to deal with however.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Isn’t WH Smith the next likely candidate to accept Deloitte gift vouchers anyway?

judynagy
    Participant

I submit that we are asked to produce ID and/or boarding passes when buying magazines because at one time there was a reason for it. That reason is long gone, but bureaucracy rules, so nobody has lifted the requirement. Whenever I am about to be obnoxious about something like this, I always tell the unfortunate clerk waiting on me that I am annoyed but I know that s/he doesn’t make the rules. When I am done complaining about how stupid it all is, I ask them to pass my observations on to their manager and thank them for listening.

judynagy
    Participant

I submit that we are asked to produce ID and/or boarding passes when buying magazines because at one time there was a reason for it. That reason is long gone, but bureaucracy rules, so nobody has lifted the requirement. Whenever I am about to be obnoxious about something like this, I always tell the unfortunate clerk waiting on me that I am annoyed but I know that s/he doesn’t make the rules. When I am done complaining about how stupid it all is, I ask them to pass my observations on to their manager and thank them for listening.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 423 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls