Why do I need to show a boarding pass when buying a magazine at the airport?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 423 total)

• openfly
    Participant

Lots of sensible discussion on this thread regarding the security surrounding boarding card scans. Thanks all…..really got me thinking!

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Simon

I’m just catching up on this topic, and feel the need to ask you a question in relation to my comment back on the 13th relating to .my family jetting off to Toronto.

And apologies, for being a bit dim here……

Let’s say that Canadian family buy their tartan tat and comply with the WH Smiths request to have their boarding pass scanned, what exactly therefore are WH Smith withholding from the ex-chequer , based on the data they collected from the boarding pass. In other words if the Toronto family refused to comply, WH Smith would legally have to forward on the 20% extra paid ?

Remember, retailers calculate the final POS price based , not on the cost price but on the sell on price.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

SiteAdministrator – 02/09/2015 12:40 BST

That WHS incident is troubling.

SimonS1
    Participant

@Canucklad – if travelling to Canada the item is tax exempt provided the traveller provides evidence they are travelling outside the EU. This is done by scanning the BP. Nothing is withheld from the exchequer.

If the traveller refuses to provide the BP then there is no evidence the goods are leaving the EU. The goods do not qualify as tax exempt and VAT is paid. However it is not 20% extra paid as the purchase price is the same, just that the retailer makes less profit.

I’m afraid I don’t know what your last sentence means.

SimonS1
    Participant

Seeing the thread of Christmas purchases made me think – is this still going on and do you still get asked for BP?

As expected it has all dropped out of the news, no doubt the DM moved on to other things.

BugAdvisor
    Participant

I haven’t been asked for the last few months when buying from Boots LHR T3. But (and sorry to go off topic) I also realise that they haven’t been crediting my purchases to my Heathrow Rewards card – they take it and look like they are scanning it, but my account doesn’t show anything.
    The Heathrow Rewards site says to send a copy of the receipt – yeah like I keep all of those.

AsiaPacific
    Participant

I was at T4 a couple of weeks ago and visited WH Smith. I refuse to use the self service machines so went to the checkout and they didn’t ask me for a BP. However I noticed that the self service machines still asks you and ‘insists’ you scan yr BP in order to proceed thru the process …. ah … just love it ha ha.

Charles-P
    Participant

At Brussels they still ask but if one refuses they no longer insist.

MrMichael
    Participant

I have not been asked at LHR or LCY for some months…..and would consider it highly impertinent if I were.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

A few weeks ago I left about £100 worth of goods at the till in T5 when they refused to sell them to me without my boarding card. I did try to explain it was not “required”, but no one wanted to listen, so I exercised my right to to be treated as stupid. I make an exception for Joe Malone who genuinely seem to give a good discount over their UK store prices which I assume is the VAT?

Andrew66
    Participant

I did read this the other week , the media did seem to highlight only one aspect of showing your BP , this link does explain some confusion , as people think they don’t have to show their BP at any airport outlet !!

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2015/10/02/you-do-have-to-show-your-boarding-passes-at-duty-free/

LuganoPirate
    Participant

This subject has gone very quite now the media interest has gone away!

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

Simply to answer the original question, because u bloody do full stop end of ranty story

sleak76
    Participant

Andrew66
    Interesting.

I, like many others, was not made aware that its only shops that dont need to see my BP; I assumed WDF was included.

In fact just last month, WDF at LHR T5 wanted to see my BP for my purchase, I refused, left the items and walked off. I hadn’t realized that they did, in fact, have the right/obligation to ask for it as your link shows.

Thanks for passing on the article link. Useful indeed.

747foreverforus
    Participant

Happy to supply boarding pass when I am getting a discount, not so when buying a newspaper or other item that does not have VAT. WHSmith need to get their act sorted and stop the self service tills asking for the Boarding pass or get some additional staff to serve at the cash point

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 423 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls